TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Bulging Discs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Millerony

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  10:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read all of Dr. Sarno's books over the years. I just completed "The Mindbody Prescription for the third time. Over the years I have experience many TMS related issues. I have experienced dizziness, burning tongue, reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, GI pain, tingling in both hands, frequent urination, Plantar Faciitis, skin rash, headache, palpitations and other assorted ailments. Two weeks ago I experienced right arm pain and weakness. I had an MRI which showed disc bulges at the C6-C7 and C7-T1. The report continued to suggest endplate productive changes and mild central stenosis. My Orthopaedic surgeon wants me to start on a muscle relaxant and a 6 day course of prednisone and see a physical therapist. Once again I am trying to acknowledge the psychological basis for my pain. While the pain is excruciating, I contine to talk to my brain and tell it that I know the score and hope that the pain will disappear. I continue to work out and play golf as if the pain does not exist. I know I have a lot of inner rage which is probably creating all my issues. I have even made lists of happy things as well as what I think is causing my inner rage. I welcome any feedback and wonder if I should start on the meds and follow through with physical therapy.

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  14:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there. At this fork there are two roads:
1. The TMS treatment plan route OR
2. The p/t, steroid, etc. route.

Doing both won't bring lasting results. I'm sure others will chime in here as there have been comments by those who got better only when they stopped all physical treatments AND believed they had a mind/body condition: TMS.

I was told the same thing by the orthoped: steroids, p/t, blah, blah, blah, surgery, and realized Dr. Sarno's books really resonated with me. So I took the TMS treatment plan route. Only. I remember when the p/t called me to ask why I had no appointments, and I told them I was trying another healing plan that did not include p/t. I was better within weeks.

Re-read Dr. Sarno's books so they sink in (doesn't usually happen immediately). Enjoy your list of happy things, really savor it. And get writing about the things causing you inner rage so you can feel some relief! This program will work--but you must believe that it will.
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  02:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do not walk, run from your orthopedic surgeon and dont look back. Even considering PT is going to just prolong your recovery. Im sure you will have a quick recovery once youve weaned yourself off the desire to get MRIs and listen to MDs who havent a clue what you are dealing with. DOn't "hope" your pain will dissapear--know that it will!
Go to Top of Page

Peg

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  07:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm not a doctor, but am in the medical field. While I'm not familiar with the "endplate productive changes" you mention, my guess is that none of the findings are ominous based on your Orthopedic surgeon's suggested treatment plan (sounds conservative).

The other findings of disc bulges and stenosis are found on the MRI's of people without any symptoms, so those may be incidental findings as well, and not causing your symptoms.

You have certainly had a multitude of TMS manifestations (like many of us) and so that would make it more likely that these ones are TMS as well.

Sounds like you have tried to learn and apply Dr. Sarno's information to your life, yet you continue to have symptoms. I know how frustrating that can be. You deserve credit for being open minded enough and willing to put in this effort.

If you have been able to identify your sources of rage, have you written about how they make you feel? How you REALY feel? If there is anyone in your life that you believe has wronged you, have you written a heartfelt or angry letter to them (not to be sent)?

Are you taking CARE of yourself?

If your TMS continues there may be something you haven't found or dealt with yet.

You might want to read Dr. David Clarke's book "They Can't Find Anything Wrong". He calls it "Stress Illness", and has found with his patients that once the main source of stress (interchange rage/anger/ uncomfortable emotions) has been identified and dealt with in some way, the symptoms resolve.

A therapist can be of help with this. As much as we think we have insight into our issues, sometimes it takes an objective, supportive professional to help us cut to the chase.

You need to do what is right for you, but I agree with mislorinj and stanfr (and Dr. Sarno) in that, when we continue any physical treatments the pain tends to persist. The reason for this is that the mind is getting the message that you think it's a physical problem and continues it's ruse.

I know you said that you are talking to your brain, telling it you know what's up (which is great), but as that old expression goes: "Actions speak louder than words". So as you continue to go the medical/physical route (MRI, MD's, PT...), your brain gets a different message.

Of course any new symptom should be evaluated by your physician, but if nothing major has been found, yet symptoms persist, using the TMS approach might be the best plan.

Good Luck,
Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei
Go to Top of Page

salamander

85 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  16:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An MRI showed disk extrusions (supposedly far worse than bulges), as well as moderate to severe spinal stenosis in my neck. I had an MRI taken to rule out fracture after a bicycle accident. I have no neck pain whatsoever. I do not know what the endplate thing is that you speak of.

If I was you, I would want to know how prednizone and muscle relaxants are supposed to fix your "diagnosis"? Neither will help disc bulges or stenosis. How is physical therapy supposed to help these problems? Doctors are great at prescribing this stuff, but what is the rational?

]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000