TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 weight loss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cindyo6

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  22:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am 62, 20 pounds overweight. i weigh 157, should probably weigh 135-140 (at 5'7"). this back pain i've had for months now is really making me think about trying to lose this extra weight. i've been looking in dr. sarno's books to see what he thinks about this. does anyone know what he has to say about it? also, have any of you had your pain decrease after losing some weight?...cindy

cynthia oeser

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  07:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cindyo6- I would say if your middle is big then it can put undue strain on your back, but if your weight is more on your hips and thighs, probably now. Its probably good to try and loose a few pounds, but don't overdue it.

Do you have any other medical conditions besides your back pain?Are you working and are you active.

I was just wondering because I've had MS since 1992 and now haven't worked for several years and not as active as I use to be, and I think that may be contributing to me having more pain.

My husband is 6'4" but only has a 34" inseam so his back is long, and if he puts weight on in his belly his back starts to bother him, so he needs to stay at 200lbs.

Do you have stress in your life now, we all do, but has a major life event happened since your onset of pain?

You really don't need to answere but just something to think about, that may have been a trigger for the pain.

Edited by - LuvtoSew on 01/18/2009 07:37:52
Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  10:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can't hurt to loose some weight but if you really believe that you have TMS your weight doesn't matter.

Edited by - marsha on 01/18/2009 10:24:13
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  15:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many times as you unload emotional trash through journaling, weight does fall away. You remove the emotional reason you were carrying it around in the first place.

I wouldn't obsess over it. Really, 20lbs is not a lot on a 5'7" woman, and it seems like conditioning to think something like that would contribute to back pain. I am shorter than 5'7" and weigh more than I did when I had TMS, and I do not have back pain.
Love yourself as you are, and any weight loss can be a bonus.

Edited by - mizlorinj on 01/18/2009 15:17:50
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  19:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 years ago I was working out hard and at 6'2 240 pounds had zero pain whatsoever. I was so amazed not to have pain anymore after discovering Sarno 3yrs before. I was'nt chiseled, I carried a decent amount of flab.

Then I got in big trouble at work, and 20# came off w/ in a month when I lost my appetite.

Then I got the nocebo injury at the gym and flipped out I had pain because I did'nt believe in back pain. Of course this workout injury coincided w/ the most stressful time in my life. So I knew it was tms related, and was diagnosed tms by a doc.

Anyways, the pain and resultant depression from it, shot me down to 183 pounds in a few months! I remember trying to get back to the gym and one guy I remember seeing there did a double take when he saw me.

Over time, I have returned to my life a lot more, and am living my life despite the pain. I've been able to gradually work out some the past 2 months. My weight was 217 after a big dinner tonight, (I was 183 in march of last year) thanx to appetite returning and I'm slowly lifting more weights. Slowly.

And my point???

There has been "zero" effect on my back pain no matter what I weighed.

As you can see I had a 57 pound weight swing. NO DIFFERENCE! (btw, I did'nt have a bodybuilding physique, I had a lot of fat)

I could make a case I was worse at 183 when all my pants were falling off.

If you did lose weight, then your mind would continue to play tricks on you telling you that you lost too much muscle instead of fat, and you can't support your spine like you used too. The mind will continue to keep coming up w/ physical reasons why your'e in pain.

I say kick back, relax, and GAIN 20#!!! Screw what you think you should weigh. I bet you'd be boring as hell so waify

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000