TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 how many out there are in their sixties or older?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cindyo6

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  23:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i enjoy reading the forums. they are inspiring and fun. but i'm wondering how many people are out there around my age, 62? i think younger people heal more easily and faster, or am i wrong? i know dr. sarno shows high incidence of back pain in 30's and 40's. but when you're 62, can you really get over this? i asked my doctor that question yesterday (PCP, internist) and she said, "not unless you can turn the clock back 20 years". geez.....cindy

cynthia oeser

gezondheid

50 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  04:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He cindy06,

I am not older than 60. In fact i'am 44. just want to say to you that you should be careful with opinions from doctors concerning backpain.
They tribute a lot off stuff as the cause for your pain. This is also the case with overweight. I know a lot off people who are too thick and don't have backpain at all. Imo overweight is not handy to have when you have backpain because it puts extra pressure on the painfull spots. It is better to lose the extra weight anyway.

The reason why i respond to your post ( i'am a low profile poster) is the opinion of your doctor. These nonsense opinions can screw your beliefsystem BIGTIME. In a way you have to be simple in this:
Do you have a pathological condition that causes your pain? (cancer, something broken etc.) These are standard things. Maybe a scan is needed? Whatever it takes to rule out serious stuff.
If that is done ok than you can settle your mind and know there is nothing wrong. HERE COMES THE REASON FOR MY REPLY: DON'T LET YOURSELF GET BRAINWAISHED BY AL THE NONSENSE ABOUT BACKPAIN A LOT OF DOCTORS STILL TELL YOU. THEY MUST KNOW BETTER BECAUSE IT IS MORE THAN KNOWN IN THE MEDICAL SOCIETY THAT BACKPAIN HAS IN 98% OF ALL THE CASES NOT A PHYSICAL CAUSE. iT IS THE WRONG INFORMATION IN COMBINATION WITH FEAR/DOUBT WHICH STARTS THE CHRONIC BACKPAIN CIRCLE. I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SO MANY DOCTORS GIVE AL SORTS OF NON VALID REASONS FOR BACKPAIN.

My advise to you:
- rule out the physical causes
- start losing weight
- look at your stressors, anxiety etc
- drop the fear and start slowly reconditioning your system and beliefsystem about backpain
- you never old enough to heal from a somatic condition

Greeting from Holland
Go to Top of Page

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  07:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm almost 55, and just the last few years have had pain so I'm not sure about the age thing. I do believe the younger people heal faster from injuries, but in my opinion no different if its more stress related.

I really don't know anyone that doesn't have back pain now or then, even my 30 year old nephew was complaining of his back the other day.
I tell my doctor about my back aches, and he says yep, mine does too-ha ha
He is big on Vit D3 tho-have you had your levels checked. I live in MI. and don't get much sun.

Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  10:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am 64 and suffer from TMS. I saw Dr. Sarno in October of 2008 and once before in 1999.I have suffered from bouts of TMS since I was a teenager. Most of them were for short periods of time and it was before I knew about TMS. In 1999 while taking care of my parents who were no longer capable of caring for themselves I suffered a major attack that lasted 2 years. I then discovered Dr. Sarno and went to see him .It took months on his program but I was pain free for 7 years.
I am in the middle of a relapse now. Yes,you can relapse. Something is going on. Maybe getting older is doing it this time. Going through the readings and the journaling.
Age is irrivelant when it comes to TMS. Sometimes I think (at least in my case ) that it is taking me longer to see complete results because I have a longer history and my subconscious has been creating this pain for a longer time. It may be that I have to do more convincing.
I am very optimistic , sure that this will pass. I have no intention of spending what should be the best time in my life in pain.
Thanks for posting..I thought I was the only senior citizen on the forum.
Marsha
Go to Top of Page

Peg

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  19:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi cindy 06,

I'm not sure how far you have gotten in Dr. Sarno's book, but with a mind body illness, age is irrelevant. There is nothing to heal (except for the emotional pain we are avoiding). our backs, wrists, knees, etc.... are healthy. The pain is real, but it is due to stress, tension, repressed emotions.

The reason Dr. Sarno gives for the majority of his patients being between 30-50, is that they are in "the age of responsibility" (children, mortgages, businesses, aging parents, etc). They have a lot of stress in their lives because they are conscientious, responsible, perfectionistic, and put a lot of pressure on themselves.

Your PCP wasn't all wrong in that our skeletons age and change, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should have pain. Sure an actual injury might take a little longer to heal, but if a person is otherwise healthy, they will heal.

Hope this helps,

Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei

Edited by - Peg on 01/18/2009 19:36:37
Go to Top of Page

Oakman

New Zealand
2 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  11:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cindy 06

If you read my post in the success stories forum (user name Oakman) you will see that age and length of problem are no barrier to success. I am 64. I run a clinic that treats bad backs with usual success after patients have given up on chiropractors etc. (last cab on the rank). Since discovering Dr Sarno's methods about three months ago and applying them with almost total success I have shared the concepts with some of my patients. Most struggle with the concept, and I think that for many this is the reason for lack of success. We have to "buy into" the concept 100% and thus change our mental programming. I can promise you that age has little or nothing to do with TMS success. Keep working at the TMS program!! Lack of belief in the program and discouragement are the two great enemies. It will work!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex71

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  13:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cindy06.....first off, I am 71 as you can see in my login name. I got my first bout of buttocks pain around Dec 4th of 2008. I really hurt for two weeks until I read, re-read, and re-read Dr. Sarno's book on Healing Back Pain. I saw myself as a good candidate for TMS and began the process of thinking about all my anger and stress. After the first two weeks, I stopped taking pain and anti-inflamatory meds, and quickly I had no pain. I continued to have no pain for the next six weeks and continued reading the book and watching Dr. Sarno's lectures on his DVD. I could do anthing I wanted, however, I was already scheduled for physical therapy, and I did go, but with the intention that it was NOT for my back, but for physical exercise to get me in better shape. Mentally I was 95% there accepting TMS, however, as the patient in book, I had this little nagging doubt about the physical. See, I am not qualified to look at my MRI and diagnose that I do not have cancer, or a structural problem. Based on that assumption, I knew that my TMS might likely come back. The only MD's in my area, are what I call PHYSICAL doctors and not TMS doctors that might give you an alternative diagnosis. So I found out that Dr. A. Segal is a TMS doctor in Washington, DC and I made an appointment with her. Needless to say, that she gave me that last 5% I needed to put this TMS problem to bed, at least in my mind. So far I am 100% OK and I know that I will fully be successful when I play my first round of golf in the last two months. (I was golfing when TMS hit me hard). So you can believe that someone in their later years CAN be successful in dealing with TMS. And if somehow it may rear it's head again, then I will deal with it appropriately. Good luck in your future.
Go to Top of Page

cindyo6

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  22:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex71

Hi Cindy06.....first off, I am 71 as you can see in my login name. I got my first bout of buttocks pain around Dec 4th of 2008. I really hurt for two weeks until I read, re-read, and re-read Dr. Sarno's book on Healing Back Pain. I saw myself as a good candidate for TMS and began the process of thinking about all my anger and stress. After the first two weeks, I stopped taking pain and anti-inflamatory meds, and quickly I had no pain. I continued to have no pain for the next six weeks and continued reading the book and watching Dr. Sarno's lectures on his DVD. I could do anthing I wanted, however, I was already scheduled for physical therapy, and I did go, but with the intention that it was NOT for my back, but for physical exercise to get me in better shape. Mentally I was 95% there accepting TMS, however, as the patient in book, I had this little nagging doubt about the physical. See, I am not qualified to look at my MRI and diagnose that I do not have cancer, or a structural problem. Based on that assumption, I knew that my TMS might likely come back. The only MD's in my area, are what I call PHYSICAL doctors and not TMS doctors that might give you an alternative diagnosis. So I found out that Dr. A. Segal is a TMS doctor in Washington, DC and I made an appointment with her. Needless to say, that she gave me that last 5% I needed to put this TMS problem to bed, at least in my mind. So far I am 100% OK and I know that I will fully be successful when I play my first round of golf in the last two months. (I was golfing when TMS hit me hard). So you can believe that someone in their later years CAN be successful in dealing with TMS. And if somehow it may rear it's head again, then I will deal with it appropriately. Good luck in your future.

cynthia oeser
Go to Top of Page

cindyo6

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  22:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey alex, thanks for your post! it's inspiring. i realize that i have to get a good exam, which i've yet to have, so i can put my mind at ease about anything physical being wrong. we have no doctors in my area who treat backs, so i will drive an hour this week to see a spine doctor., to hopefully be examined, and also to look at my MRI films. we have one neurosurgeon in my town and i saw him. he complained about my MRI films, said they were terrible (i had an open MRI). so we'll see what the spine doctor says. meanwhile, my tinnitus has come back too. but i'm staying with it, the TMS concept. steve, a very nice poster here, referred me to dr. emmett miller's products, so i'm checking that out, to learn how to relax. turns out emmett miller's office is 30 miles from me! maybe i can get in to see him. best of luck to you also....cindy

cynthia oeser
Go to Top of Page

phyllis

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  00:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, all. Back again after a while.

I am interested in the 'age' angle of posts. I am 59 and about to start running again (when I can get to shop to get trainers)

I ran a lot in the 1990's but ended up with pain caused (so I was told) by flat feet)

I have orthotics which I got long ago and ahve also read Sarno. I think we are conditioned very much to EXPECT to feel creaky as we get older. You only have to listen to older people talking about their 'aches and pains'. Too much negative air around.

Each year I realise more and more how powerful our minds are. My back used to be awful and I used to try everything including osteopaths and chiro whatsits, to no avail. I began to feel they were making a lot of money!

Now if I feel a twinge after gardening or excess walking, I TOTALLY IGNORE it and get on with life.

I feel so much better.

Go to Top of Page

Belle

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  13:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think age can be a factor in TMS but not because older people take longer to heal. We have age threshholds (at 18, 21, 60)and crossing them has a big impact on how we see ourselves and our hopes for the future etc. Crossing the threshhold of 60 can cause anxiety - about becoming dependent or lonely, lack of occupation, a whole host of things including death. These issues are quite fundamental so it's not surprising if they produce TMS symptoms. Whe you're younger you always know somewhere inside that you'll come through whatever issues crop up and you'll be OK on the other side. When you're over 60 you can start to feel that there is no 'other side'. This is it.
I'm 60 and this is how I account for my TMS which is fairly recent in its present form (sciatica).
Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  15:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belle,
If you belive that you suffer from TMS..nothing physical needs to be healed. Just rethink and change your brain.
There is always another side no matter how old you are. By the way someone told me the other day that "60" is the new "40". That made me feel pretty good. I am 64 and I still looking forward to a long and happy life.
Marsha

Edited by - marsha on 02/04/2009 15:34:31
Go to Top of Page

Belle

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  15:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marsha - I don't seem to have been very clear. I know there is nothing physical going on and I believe I am working in the right way to get rid of my TMS. I was trying to explain why I thing that dealing with TMS can be hard if you have these particular kinds of feelings about being old. Understanding the process doesn't seem to work so well on its own. The original post was about whether age made a difference and I am trying to say that I think it does but not in the way implied by cindy06's doctor. I have got rid of TMS in the past - this is a relapse which I believe to have been triggered by reaching 60.
Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  19:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it. Me too....Having a relpase.
Age according to Dr. Sarno age can trigger a relapse. We are after all mortal.
We will be fine..
Marsha

Edited by - marsha on 02/04/2009 19:22:14
Go to Top of Page

Alex71

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  07:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies.....I firmly believe that age has a lot to do with TMS occurences. I was extremely healthly until I reached the age of 69. On the anniversary of my fathers death (he died at age 69 on April 22nd) I woke up in the middle of the night and I could not breath. Needless to say I totally panicked, and proceeded to have every test imaginable. EKG's, Stress tests, Puluminary tests, Cardiac Cath tests, Allergy tests. Found out I now had sleep apnea, alergies to dogs and cats, acid reflux (Gerd). I never had any of these problems before. I am not sure, but I am looking into TMS as being the cause of some of these things. After I solved most of these problems, a CPAP machine for the apnea, Protonix for the Gerd, Allegra D for the allergies, I guess perhaps TMS just moved to my Buttocks. The point I am trying to make is that thinking about the issue of mortality was a major anxiety issue with me. It was obivously on my mind on the anniversary of my fathers death. I understand that now and am dealing with the anxiety it generates. We are all human, and deal with the mortality issue in our own ways. Accepting that it is an uncontrollable event, why should we needlessly worry about it! Enjoy life, just enjoying everyday should be considered a major event.
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  08:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phyllis, excellent--thank you for telling it like it is.

Regarding age, Dr. Sarno says older people are more conditioned to think physical (and have been for a longer time) so they have a more difficult time accepting that their emotions play a role. My dad is a good example. He is in agony now and is starting to read TDM. Yet 2 years ago he saw me go from bedbound with pain to up and around in two weeks once I "did the work" on TMS. Sadly he waited till he was in crisis to take this seriously, and no doctor has helped him.

My TMS episode began the week I turned 40. Coincidence? I think not! Life's pressures build up and peak between 40-60; just read that somewhere.

Alex: the things you listed that you never had before (allergies, etc.) can certainly be emotional-induced, aka TMS or equivalent. Those things are discussed in various mind/body books. Why would one suddenly have sensitivity to cats? I used to--and I know it's because I was uncomfortable going to my MIL's house.

Best wishes to all.

Edited by - mizlorinj on 02/05/2009 08:31:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000