TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 I feel sorry for this little girl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  15:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my wife tells me how she overheard this conversation between 2 moms at my daughters gymnastics class in the seating area for parents to hang out.

The mom was telling another how devastated they are that their 7 yr old daughter (who's life basically revolves around gymnastics, I think their other daughters are in it and dad is a coach) went in for her yearly checkup. They did a xray of her back because scoliosis was noted. (Scoliosis is common amoung young girls. It was noted on my mri as well.) And what do they come up w/? Spondylolisthesis.

My wife did'nt know the name, she said it wasn't scoliosis, but started w/ an "s" (i knew) and that one of her vertebraes l5 or whatever is slipped a bit.

Now the doc's said it should'nt be too bad, she just can't do backward movements anymore, only forward because it could get worse. Of course surgery can fix it.

I feel so bad for this girl who from what I hear is the best gymnast in her age group, and was SYMPTOM FREE! No pain, no disability, nada.

Now she's been labled w/ 2 back problems and is being conditioned to expect symptoms sometime. ugh

Bobbypols

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  21:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When i read a post like this, it makes me think of all the conditions i MUST of had when i was that age, yet i was pain free. Its posts like this that reaffirm that spinal abnormalities are normal, and medical profession is cashing in.
Go to Top of Page

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  05:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG this was me but aged 17, I was a gymnast too.
The problem is (as you note) it sets you up for a lifetime of crap.
My scoliosis was not painful at all.
So sad, most people live with slight scoliosis and have no probs, she probably would have too if it wasn't for the dreaded x-ray :(
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  09:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not good news at all. So young...
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  13:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, gymnasts go through a lot of pressure, and feel like they have to perform with perfection. Many are also hard on themselves and feel like they have to please their coaches and parents.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000