TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 10 years of neck and upper back pain GONE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peg

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  18:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MY TMS RECOVERY STORY: some of this is taken from my review of Healing Back Pain on amazon. I have added to it and hope it will be of help to someone.

I suffered with 10 years of chronic pain, muscle spasm, tingling in my neck, upper back and arms. I tried many treatments, both traditional and alternative. Cervical traction, chiropractic, massage, myotherapy, trigger point release, physical therapy, cervical collar, medications, acupuncture, homeopathy. I even had surgery on one of my shoulders for a supposed shoulder impingement. Some of the treatments gave short term relief only. The surgery did nothing to help. I spent years searching for an answer, and thousands of dollars out of pocket. I had testing and the diagnoses I received were bulging discs and degenerative disc disease (sound scary dont they?). I was offered no hope of a cure. I was 40 at the time, yet physically felt like I was 90 due to the pain. I began to have occasional panic attacks at night due to my situation.

I had no hope for my future because if I had a degenerative process, it would only get worse. My pain went from a low level annoyance to becoming debilitating.I had pain every day, all day I struggled to care for my children and home. I felt like a failure as a mother and wife, and became depressed about my situation. I considered suicide and am not proud to say, had even formed a bit of a plan. I only considered it briefly, but then, almost as soon as I thought of it, I would think about my two children and decided that no matter how much pain and anguish I felt, I couldn't do that to them.

Then I found an answer, in the form of Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain book. Being a medical professional, I was skeptical as I began to read the claims of relief without surgery, PT, or specific treatments. I decided, I had nothing to lose by reading the book except a couple of hours of my time.

I found myself on every page of his book. I felt he knew me despite never having met me. He was telling my story. I literally wept as I read the book and found a glimmer of hope. I began to improve slowly and continued to read and re-read, began a gradual return to activites, as well as starting to journal about emotional issues and feelings. As I applied his theory to my life, I continued to improve both physically and emotionally. Amazingly, I'm still doing great 8 years later.

I don't want to mislead anyone. I did not have an instantaneous resolution of my symptoms (although I now know people who have). It has been a process of healing and self discovery for me, but well worth it. I have had occasional episodes of some discomfort over the years (during stressful times) but now I know how to address it and can make it go away pretty easily. The most important thing is that it has never been as bad as it was at it's worst, and most of the time I have no pain at all. I no longer have fear and I know that I am healthy and strong. I have no limitations in what I can do. I have proven that to myself over and over again in the past 8 years since recovering using Dr. Sarno's information. Probably the most physical things I have been able to do is that I painted an entire house, took a dance class, learned scuba and just last year I rode a bicycle 110 miles in a day (having trained for it in only 3 weeks).

I realize these claims may seem hard to believe. Had I not experienced it personally, I'm not sure how I would feel about it. But I'm here to say that my life has been forever changed and enriched by learning about this incredible mind-body connection. If you are looking for someone else to fix you, then this is probably not the book for you. But if you're tired of being in pain, have an open mind, and are willing to do the work, then this information can change your life. I wish you health and peace.

I would like to share a Galileo quote which speaks to me regarding Dr. Sarno's work: "In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual."
Words can not express my heartfelt gratitude. Thank you Dr. John Sarno!

Hang in there everyone. Breathe and relax. You've found the answer. You're body is just trying to teach you to take care of yourself. You are enough.

Thanks for reading,
Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  21:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your success is my inspiration.
Marsha

Edited by - marsha on 02/17/2009 21:06:28
Go to Top of Page

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  12:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your story. There is hope then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And all you did was read the book.
Go to Top of Page

Peg

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  17:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Luvtosew,

Well that's where it began-reading HBP.

But then I had to follow the plan in the books. I journaled, I cried, I changed the way I was thinking, I laughed,I re-read, I returned to physical activity. I read Dr. Sarno's second book and then I read many other books and medical journal articles, all of which supported his theory. Oh, at some point, I also watched Dr. Sarno's video. And went to counseling.

Thanks for reading,
Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000