TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Thanks Scottjmurray
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  10:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott,
I can only speak for myself…and thank you for making me think. .I do this because early on I learned I wasn’t quite good enough.
My mother had borderline personality disorder and my father was a weak person unable to protect me from her. He had problems of his own from a very tragic childhood. They both relied on me to make the decisions for the family from the time I was a small child. I was always as good as the last thing I did and that was never right (good enough).
The only time I ever got positive attention was when I didn’t feel well. When things got to be too much for me I got sick. Uh oh, a pattern of behavior established early in life.. Be perfect and if you are not be sick.
Today is the first time I made the connection.
Thanks Scott.

positivevibes

204 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  13:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marsha,

I think that I have a similar type of issue. I also had to be a "perfect" child and the only time I really got a break was when I was sick. I'm trying to figure out how it translates into my adult life. The only thing I can figure out is: I have so much responsibility as a parent and often feel overwhelmed by things I need to do. But if I get sick or hurt, "all bets are off" and I can give myself permission to let things slide, or say to my family "do it yourself because I can't do it for you." I'm sure I'll be exploring this with my therapist!
Go to Top of Page

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  18:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. That whole "not good enough" thing. I don't get it. People think things aren't good enough and it just kills them inside. Not only them, but everyone around them and everyone they interact with. It's an illusion.

Glad I could help, Marsha.

~*~

author of tms-recovery . com
Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  20:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A powerful illusion that controls the decisions you make and how you feel about yourself( without you even knowing). Until one day you realize ..and maybe a new beginning.
Marsha
Go to Top of Page

simplyfree

20 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  23:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by positivevibes

Marsha,

I also had to be a "perfect" child and the only time I really got a break was when I was sick.

What types of illnesses did you have as a child? Were you sick alot? Reading your experiences makes me rethink my own childhood (actually my life). I thought I had figured out why I was sick all the time but this put a new spin on that. I had to be the 'good child' in my family because my sister was so bad, from the time we were very young. I knew I couldn't cause the problems she did or hurt my parents like she did. But I never connected that to my being sick. I was treated for tonsilitis and ear infections all the time and I now know it was from allergies. And allergies are known TMS symptoms. I had thought the reason I had CFS was because of the abuse of antibiotics I took most of my life. Now I'm beginning to think there's more to it than that.

Thank you (all of you) for your insights.
Go to Top of Page

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  23:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I'm sorry things were so rough for you as a kid Marsha. No one deserves to go through that kind of thing. I don't think that most people realize that even the subtlest emotional abuse (what some people would even call "good parenting") is incredibly damaging to the child. I'm a case study there.

~*~

author of tms-recovery . com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000