TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Berceli - The Revolutionary Trauma Release Process
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sky

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  22:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something to think about for those who found fault in Herbert Benson, because Benson's relaxation focus prevents people from addressing and working through the underlying emotions as Sarno advocates...

It's possible that these stress-related conditions can be cured not only with a mind -> body approach, but with a body -> mind approach.

David Perceli has an interesting book I read recently, "The Revolutionary Trauma Release Process - Transcend Your Toughest Times," which uses a purely physical approach to our trauma.

Berceli outlines how our bodies become like records of our past, carrying our emotional baggage physically. His "discovery" is that mammals naturally tremor after trauma, but socialized humans learn to repress their instinct to tremor (think of the last time you started to shake before asking someone out or giving a speech). Tremoring naturally shakes out our negative energy after a traumatizing experience.

Berceli has had tremendous success with PTSD patients using his tremors. They've found themselves suddenly remarkably calmer and more able to sleep at night, and less susceptible to all the TMS conditions we've experienced.

I've done the tremors myself, and I do feel extremely calm thereafter. I recommend his book. It reads quickly and you might really enjoy the tremors.

The exercises can be good, too, for people who are especially averse / incapable of talking about their difficult experiences. I read one review on amazon.com by a father whose two sons used Berceli's tremors after returning from military duty in Eastern Europe. They'd seen and maybe done horrifying things, and didn't want to spend years talking to a stranger psychologist about it. But they saw remarkable success with the tremors. Who knows? With better emotional health from the tremors, they might start to be more willing and able to speak about and consciously process these difficult emotions.

Ultimately, though, all I'm saying is that the healing process in regards to stress might not be purely mind -> body. Body -> mind might be just as effective.

Edited by - Sky on 05/04/2009 22:53:28

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  05:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sky,

I don't know whether you've seen the list of Books and DVD's which Pandamonium has compiled on the TMS wiki?

It would be great if you could add this book (perhaps under the "Complimentary books by other authors" section) and your review.

Do contact me if you want any help with it.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  06:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sky, I just want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for mentioning this!!

I have read Levine's book but it didn't really speak to me. I've just spent an hour reading the amazon reviews of Berceli's book and watching an online interview with Berceli and I am going to go to our local bookstore when it opens this morning and get a copy!

This makes SO much sense to me, based on what I know about my own reactions, what I know about homeostasis and neurology, etc.

THANK YOU. I would not have known about this work except for your post and am very grateful you took the time to provide an explanation and a bit about your own experience. I DEFINITELY believe that the body <-> mind IS a "two-way" street .. each can influence the other!

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 05/05/2009 06:48:13
Go to Top of Page

Carmella

7 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  05:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'm ordering the book today.
I know TRAUMA is what brought on my TMS.
In two years time:

. my twin brother was ambushed and killed in Africa
. we evacuated 3 hurricanes
. my daughter was brutally beaten by 6X's Mid-east deployed dh
. my son with asperbergers had people hurting him
. my neighbor of 8 years died suddenly
. 2 best friends died of cancer and pneumonia
. we had a tornado hit one block over
. I planted a papaya tree and my lower back went out so bad I couldn't lift my left leg or walk for 3 weeks, and have spent the last 2 years in serious pain.
I've read all of Sarno's and Brady's books, learned to do EFT, and quit all therapies, and refused surgery on a diagnosed stenosis, spondilothesis, herniated l4l5.
I'm better, but have this terrible burning, buzzing pain, all over, even in my head. It's worse when I'm stressed.
This book you suggested may hold the key to releasing the trauma I have learned to hold in since a child. Thanks so much.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Carmella
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  08:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the bookstore yesterday to have a look at Berceli's book and realized that I would have a hard time understanding how to do the exercises from the pictures and written instructions alone ... so I ordered the DVD instead. Can't wait til it arrives! I am beginning to think that the reason all of the other self-help relaxation things I've tried weren't that helpful was because the effects of PTSD has just been too overwhelming. Hopefully this will HELP!
Go to Top of Page

Webdan65

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  07:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rage, let us know how it goes. I ordered the book from Amazon and hope I'll be able to figure it out given your comments.

Perhaps you can translate for us once you go through the DVD?
Go to Top of Page

Sky

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  10:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually don't think you need the DVD. I found the pictures and explanations entirely sufficient, but yea, if you find anything new and worthwhile on the DVD please share!

---

Site I'm building: I encourage you to pass it on for anyone who might benefit from a brief introduction to Sarno.

http://themindbodyspot.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

carbar

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  11:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find this idea interesting. I know a lot of times my teeeth chatter when I'm very relaxed...in bed, with my sweetie, etc. Sometimes I think it has to do with the cold, but this makes me think that there's a mind-body component to it. It always feels like a stress release, so I don't usually worry about it.

Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  14:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the book with the pictures and written explanations /instructions would probably be enough for most people, as Sky said ... it's just that I am particularly challenged in this area and when I looked at the first exercise, I thought "I better get the DVD!" as I couldn't figure out whether there should be 15 seconds for each side of the "swaying from side to side" (which then didn't really seem like "swaying") so I thought the DVD would just be simpler for me to understand, if I could SEE all the exercises done in real time.

I'll keep you posted and will be happy to answer questions about the DVD! Hope it arrives next week.

(BTW, Dan, very much appreciated the interview you did with Dr Schubiner!)
Go to Top of Page

head2toe

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  09:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought the TRE book about a year or so ago. The exercises are not that difficult to figure out from the book but some of them are not that easy to do, particularly if you are stiff or in pain. I managed to do them relatively easily but didn't always get a lot of shaking going on! I did them consistently for about 6-8 weeks but then I have to admit, I let them go. Funnily enough I was thinking about getting back into them over the past few days and then I saw this post. In my opinion, they are not suitable or even possible for everyone but I am happy to share my experiences.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  21:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DVD arrived today! I watched the demo of the exercises -- David Berceli coaches 3 participants through all six exercises in real time and explains what is happening and is reassuring throughout. :o) He also provides some easier variations for those who might not be as flexible as others. This was *definitely* the right decision for me to get the DVD so I can have David himself "lead me" through the exercises. :o)

It does say, "should not be used by pregnant women, infants, children or any individual with a heart condition, irregular blood pressure, or any condition that requires strict regulation, without the approval of a medical doctor. Individuals with fragile psychological defenses, a complex history of trauma, or restricting physical limitations such as knee, back, pelvic, or other muscle, tendon or bone injuries should consult their medical professional prior to performing these exercises."

I haven't actually done the exercises yet, and not sure when I will be ready to start!

head2toe, did you find the exercises helpful over time? Would be very interested in hearing about your experiences.

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 05/11/2009 21:50:10
Go to Top of Page

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  01:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Explain these "tremors." I've tried seizing and things of that sort to release repressed pain, but I find it too submissive and it often does not bring any relief. I also found that the "pain" or "trauma" was simply anger trying to breach the surface, and once I was able to let that anger pass out relief followed immediately.

This is actually the field I'm most interested in, using physical emotional expression to return brain chemistry to a healthy state.

~*~

author of tms-recovery . com
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  07:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, the "tremors" or trembling are evoked naturally through the Trauma Release Exercises (TRE) and are not something that are done "consciously". David Berceli makes the point that trembling is something virtually all mammals do when overstressed / traumatized (like, a gazelle will shake for a while if it manages to get away from a predator, and then goes back to being a normal gazelle .. ie no PTSD found in gazelles!) He says we as humans also do this and refer to it in our culture by way of sayings like "I trembled like a leaf after the accident," or "My teeth started chattering" or "my voice started to shake" and that children will tremble when frightened, but that we as adults have been socialized to repress that natural reaction as much as possible, so as not to show weakness. But that if we haven't "released" that, then the tension just stays deep in the body. This made a lot of sense to me, as it seems no amount of relaxation exercises, yoga, tai chi, breathing exercises, therapy, etc have resolved my own chronic hyperarousal. I often wake up in a very hyperaroused state and sleep rather poorly.

If you want to see the "tremors" in action after being evoked by the TRE, just go to YouTube and do a search on "trauma release exercises" (it should be the first one on the list.)

(I tried the TRE myself this morning and I guess I needn't have worried it wouldn't evoke the "tremor response" for me! Hope this helps me sleep better tonight!)
Go to Top of Page

mom2aidan2002

14 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  13:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds really interesting. There are other "physical techniques" that are really successful with trauma (like EMDR, "tapping", neurolinguistic programming), but I think they usually include some component of the emotion (like talking about the trauma while moving your eyes, or "feeling the feeling" while having accupuncture points tapped.

I know that tapping has worked really well for me, especially when I can't seem to get to the heart of my repressed emotions. In fact, I used it with my 2 year old once when he had a nightmare "There is a flower in my bed. Scary!" when he couldn't seem to calm with soothing words, stroking, holding, etc. and he went straight to sleep.

One point tho that I wonder might be true of the tremors--might the underlying issues show up as a TMS equivilant after being "processed" by the tremors? I ask because I recently was having SEVERE anxiety about the swine flu scare. I did tapping and had an immediate and complete relief of anxiety. (It was like there was just no fear of it anymore). However, within days I developed a totally new TMS symptom, toe twitching.

I'd be interested to hear of people's experiences!

mom2aidan2002
Go to Top of Page

head2toe

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  14:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

head2toe, did you find the exercises helpful over time? Would be very interested in hearing about your experiences.

I don't think I did the TREs for long enough. I was in such a state of nervous tension at the time that I was jumping from one thing to another to another! I did the exercises every day for a few weeks and I did get the shaking going on but sometimes it took a while for it to kick in! I went on holiday for a week and never got back into it. I was really pleased when it worked the first time I did it but I guess I was too impatient and if I don't see results quickly I have a tendency to give up on things! Patience is something I am now having to resign myself to. I wrote to David Berceli to ask if there was some kind of support forum. He responded and was very pleasant but said there was no forum at that time. I think it's quite a lonely experience when you have to experiment with things alone.

Go to Top of Page

sarita

130 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  15:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a very very interesting thread.
i have wondered about the connection trauma release (physically speaking, after reading waking the tiger by levine) and tms, and the therapy used to "feel the feelings".
5 years ago i had a bike accident. i had never ever heard the word whiplash, one year later i discovered it.
during that year, my body felt as if filled with stones, i could not remember stuff, i was anxious, tight muscles, just another person, and i was shaking a lot, and was totally out of it and miserable. the list is endless. it started exactly after the accident. it was this accident.
only one therapy helped, one called somatic experiencing. it WORKED. everything else failed. after 7 sessions my brain function, i guess i will call it, was gradually becoming normal again. i totally believe in this approach.
however, i should point out, that at that time, i didnt feel an emotional burden, as i did 2 years ago. it was a physical trauma back then.
2 years ago i really got depressed had pain etc.
the therapy somatic experiencing did not help anymore. and i know why.
because it didnt address my feelings. but 5 years ago it saved me.
i am tempted to try again, as a anxiety release form, and will get this book.
should i get the book or the dvd?
maybe repressed emotions is something else than an accident when something happens to your nervous system? thats why i believe there is whiplash. and its not just neck pain.

Go to Top of Page

head2toe

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  15:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked out the video on You Tube. I never had anything like the jerky movements shown there. They were much more subtle tremors but they felt OK. I do remember feeling relaxed immediately after doing them a couple of times but nothing lasting. I think consistency and perseverance probably pays off and I didn't get far enough into it. I may give them another go though!

quote:
Originally posted by RageSootheRatio

If you want to see the "tremors" in action after being evoked by the TRE, just go to YouTube and do a search on "trauma release exercises" (it should be the first one on the list.)

(I tried the TRE myself this morning and I guess I needn't have worried it wouldn't evoke the "tremor response" for me! Hope this helps me sleep better tonight!)

Go to Top of Page

sarita

130 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  15:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
btw mom twitching is like shaking, a way of release
Go to Top of Page

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  07:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com/members/dberceli.htm

Interview with the author
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  11:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, head2toe. I appreciate hearing about your experience!

On the DVD, there are 3 participants who go through the exercises w/ David leading in real time. They each have very different types of "tremoring" and David does point this out and describes them in words, and discusses how all are "right" and that one's body will do what it needs. It was helpful to see, though.

I would find a discussion board for TRE helpful, too! Maybe we can discuss it here. I wondered about the best time for doing the exercises (ie whether it is best to do them before bed. I tried the first time, in the early morning.)
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  11:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks to everyone contributing to this thread!

Sarita, I just looked at the book very briefly at the bookstore, and while it looked very interesting (and I may also get it) I thought having the DVD with David leading would be simpler for me actually doing the exercises, and it definitely IS! So I'm glad I got the DVD. If you do better with more visual, real-time instructions, (and I also really enjoyed David's very reassuring demeanour on the DVD while he was leading!) then I would suggest the DVD.

mom2Aiden .. thanks for your comments .. one thing that made me not pursue EMDR and other therapies, was the having-to-think-about-the-trauma aspect. I guess one of the appeals for me about TRE is that it seems to address *whatever* traumas are left in the body, and I really like how David discusses both "hard" and "soft" traumas (hard traumas being like a traumatic EVENT at a particular moment in time, soft traumas which can occur over long periods of time, such as developmental traumas, like growing up in a dysfunctional environment.)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000