TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Upcoming meditation retreat in Massachusetts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  17:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished putting information about this event on the wiki, and thought that people here might want to hear about it as well.

Dr. Howard Schubiner is holding a meditation retreat from Monday October 12 through Friday October 16, 2009 at the Kripalu center in western Massachusetts. The program is called "Unlearn Your Pain: A Mind-Body Approach to Chronic Pain."

The official web page for the retreat says that:
quote:
This innovative program will help you discover the true underlying causes of your pain and teach you to retrain your brain for complete healing. Once the causes are clear, specific exercises in therapeutic journaling, meditation, and brain reprogramming are successful in breaking the vicious cycle of pain for most people. Participants will receive complimentary enrollment in Dr. Schubiner’s 4-week online program (a $250 value) to continue their progress towards a pain-free life. ... Tuition includes a workbook and meditation CD.
To read the official web page yourself, paste the following address into your browser and remove the extra spaces:
http ://www. kripalu.org/program/view/UYP91/unlearn_your_pain_a_mind_body_approach_to_chronic
(spaces added as per forum policy. The wiki doesn't make any money, so it is exempt from the policy.)

The TMS Wiki Events page can be found here: http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/Events

I met Dr. Schubiner personally at the conference for TMS professionals this March in Ann Arbor. I remember him saying that the main principle of his online program is to be kind to yourself. I don't know very much about meditation, but when he said that, it reminded me very much of what I had read about lovingkindness meditation. Perhaps I'm wrong--I've never spoken with him about this--but this made me suspect that Dr. Schubiner would probably be an excellent meditation teacher, as that aspect of those teachings seem to have become a deep part of his approach to life and medical care in general. In terms of more concrete, less hypothetical, facts, I can say that he has been a meditation instructore for 14 years and has studied meditation with many well known teachers, including Jon Kabat-Zinn. I mention this because I bet that meditation will be a significant part of the retreat.

Forest

Edited by - forestfortrees on 05/15/2009 11:19:33
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000