TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Something to think about
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeyT

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  06:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a big sports fan and love the NFL. So I was thinking, these guys take a physical beating almost everyday. Not to mention the heavy weightlifting they have to do year around..The guys you see playing professional have been playing, and training since there teenage years.
I rarely hear of a player having to get back surgery and these guys take more of a beating physically then anyone on this board. I mean think about people recently have been paralized(sp) playing this sport..

I would love for the medical researchers to do MRI's of players in the NFL and see there screwed up spines of players with no pain..

flutterby

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  07:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little OT, but I was talking to my daughter yesterday about how I've always noticed that professional sports-people sustain quite major injuries but seem to recover relatively quickly and are back on the field playing again, in a matter of months at the most.

Of course it could be that they get immediate top-quality medical treatment but maybe there's something to do with 'motivation' in the mix as well?

(BTW, I used to know a rugby player who had the same spinal surgery as I did as the result of an injury on the field but recovered completely in no time!)
Go to Top of Page

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  07:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking something similar the other day.

I had a fall in my garden and fell quite heavily on my side and basically trapped my arm between the ground and my body. As I was falling I recall thinking stuff like, this is goona hurt, am I going to have more time off work, will I still be able to drive...who will drive if I can't drive etc etc, basically I had an 'expectation' of pain and injury whilst I was in the process of the fall.

Whilst my fall was heavyish when I compare it to the hits that some rugby players take it was nothing. These guys take hit upon hit for 80 minutes and show no signs of pain or worry. Yes, they are conditioned to withstand this but they are also conditioned mentally to not expect to feel pain or to get injured and I believe that this is a key factor in how they are able to withstand such physical abuse.

...just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

scd1833

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  09:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what about all the torn rotator cuff injuries, pulled hamstrings, etc. that you hear about that are obviously TMS?
Go to Top of Page

flutterby

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  11:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pan - I think it's pretty clear that endorphins (the body's natural painkillers) come into play during a match. There's a famous case of a footballer who broke a bone - can't remember which! - and continued to play, painfree till the end of the match, apparently because of endorphins.

This has set me wondering whether the endorphin effect is blocked in some way by stress?
Go to Top of Page

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  11:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flutterby

pan - I think it's pretty clear that endorphins (the body's natural painkillers) come into play during a match. There's a famous case of a footballer who broke a bone - can't remember which! - and continued to play, painfree till the end of the match, apparently because of endorphins.

This has set me wondering whether the endorphin effect is blocked in some way by stress?

Yep, agreed.

I'm thinking though that the body is actually a remarkably hardy and strong bit of kit and can actually withstand a fair bit of abuse. All that came to mind when I had my mishap was how, even in the process of the actual fall, I envisaged all manner of negative repercusions and totally over catastrophised it. It just struck me as like I was almost determined on a mental/emotional level to be injured regardless of what came of it physically.

I probably have explained that really poorly..lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000