TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Can TMS be related to fear?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laurena

1 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  19:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read two of Dr. Sarno's books and understand that repressed anger is a factor. I wonder though if repressed fear can be as well. I've searched myself and I don't think I have much anger, but anxiety and fear seem to be a bigger piece for me, and I wonder if that could be causing my TMS symptoms. Does anyone think fear can be as much of cause of TMS as anger?

PRCalDude

49 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  21:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. It can definitely begin with anxiety and fear.
Go to Top of Page

flutterby

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  02:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Anger' is often referred to as a 'secondary emotion' because it covers up fear or pain.
Go to Top of Page

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  05:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure fear plays a huge role in TMS although for me it was more in terms of perpetuating TMS I think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A beginner's guide to psychology: If it's not your mum's fault.... it's your dad's...
Go to Top of Page

Garth

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2009 :  08:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Can I experience anger without fear?

I don't believe so, I feel angry because some belief in me has been challenged in some way that threatens the fragile belief system of my e-g-o.

The e-g-o fears more than anything. . . . loss of control.

Anger may be the fire, and fires get our attention. Fear is what builds up all that stuff that fuels the fire however.

Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  09:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laurena

I read two of Dr. Sarno's books and understand that repressed anger is a factor.

Keep in mind that the "unconscious rage" that Dr. Sarno speaks of is not the same as repressed anger. Repressed conscious emotions play a role in feeding the resivoir of unconscious rage but there are many factors.

You said: "I don't think I have much anger" ... well, that is the whole point! TMS is not about the emotions we know about ... it's the ones we don't. The fact that you don't "think" you have much anger is irrelevant ... if anything it may be a signal that in fact you have a lot of repressed anger. This is consistent with a goodist personality, who may unconsciously suppress those emotions that are deemed improper to exhibit.
Go to Top of Page

phrog

4 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  16:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave is right. It's the anger in your subconcious that you don't know about that TMS is trying to keep there. The feelings you know are not the problem.

Phrog
Go to Top of Page

crk

124 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  17:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, all of the rage producing emotions we repress are about one thing - the view of the Self. Both fear and rage are a part of this. I agree with Sarno that we cannot empty or change the reservoir of rage, but I do believe we can change the way we think about its source now, today. We can change our perceptions of the world and ourselves so that our circumstances to not keep opening us up to the need to repress.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  09:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laurena

....but anxiety and fear seem to be a bigger piece for me, and I wonder if that could be causing my TMS symptoms. Does anyone think fear can be as much of cause of TMS as anger?

YES. Any repressed unpleasant emotion can cause TMS and fear is the mother of them all. IMO
Go to Top of Page

Piano5

29 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  09:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first became aware of fear when I began playing guitar again after realizing my "RSI" was TMS. My body would flush and my skin would tingle as I realized my FEAR of attempting a certain scale/stretch on the fretboard, thinking I would re-injure myself.

It hit me: the brain is all-powerful. My brain had created millions of strands of amino-acid chemicals to accompany the emotion of "fear". These shot to every cell in my body and I realized then just how powerful the human brain is, and how if you're not healing from an injury, It's likely your brain's distraction.

Dr. Joe Dispenza's lectures helped me greatly in my TMS recovery. Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000