TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 New to TMS. Location of TMS doctors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stemdog 39

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  08:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a newbie to this message board and i have just realized I have suffered from TMS for a long time now. Just a little background first so you guys know where I am coming from. I'm a 32 yr old male who just recently retired from Major League baseball due to a failed surgeries. I had elbow surgery in 2006 and neck surgery in 2007. Since then I have been enrolled in college to finish my degree. I've been battling lower back issues since I retired from baseball when it never even hurt while I was playing. This semester I had to drop out because the latest flare up would not let me sit down. I laid in bed over the next 4 weeks searching the internet for sciatica relief. FINALLY, I stumbled upon Dr. Sarno's books and read about myself in every page. I could not believe the accuracy the Dr. had describing my personality, family life, employment stress, physical symptoms, etc. This all happened about a week ago.
So I've read all of his books, wrote about 35 pages of repressed emotions, and have the DVD's on the way. I whole heartedly believe I have TMS. But in the books he says how important it is to go on with normal activities. I still cannot sit to drive anywhere so I have been confined to the house for 6 weeks now. In the other back pain instances I would just deal with it and move on. Not this one. I don't have pain medicine to take the edge off either.
I find myself very sleep deprived and depressed. I cannot seem to control my emotions lately. I've lost 25 pounds and I wasn't overweight to begin with. I find I have so much time on my hands during the day it's hard not to be compulsive, or put enormous pressure on myself, and strive to "fix" the problem.
I live in Louisville KY and I haven't been able to find a website with a list of TMS doctors / psychotherapists. I know it's still early and I tell myself not to rush it, but with all of the circumstances and no personal help, I have a hard time staying in the right mind frame to fight.
Should I give it more time? Where is the nearest help? Is the anything I can do other than write in my journal, read my books, and try to convince my subconscious I know what it is doing? And has anyone ever had circumstances stand in the way of your conscious mind accepting the diagnosis? Finally, is it ever necessary to confront (family) about repressed rage to be "cured of pain"?
I am very thankful I found Dr. Sarno's books and this message board. I am also very thankful that I have a girlfriend who has been outstanding during all of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Steve

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  12:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Here's a list of doctors and therapists:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/directory.html

You might also like to take a look at the TMS wiki which has lots of information:
www.tmswiki.org
including surveys by TMS professionals:
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/TMS+Professional+Survey+Responses

You might also find it helpful to read others' success stories:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4
organised by symptom here:
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/Specific+Symptoms+%26+Diagnoses

Don't worry about returning to activity too soon - it's best to take a gradual approach. And don't worry if you haven't had any relief - it can take a little while - the time varies from person to person.

No, it isn't necessary to confront family about repressed rage. Normally it's enough just to recognise it.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

stemdog 39

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  13:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HilaryN,

Thanks for all of the info!! I was in a bit of a panic earlier. I settled down after rereading some of The Mind Body Prescription. It helped! I'm starting to take notes and highlight parts of the book that describe me. Pain level is down quite a bit with no drugs, amazing! I think I read about so many "quick heals" in The Divided Mind, I thought I should be able to do the same (striving). It's going to be a slow and steady heal instead of a light switch heal for me. Thanks again. Steve
Go to Top of Page

Judith Friedman

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  18:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Stem. Welcome. Your story is so interesting! I get your concern with not doing "well enough" at getting better. It's the perfectionist thing. I recently got rid of all pain for about 2 months, then it came back and I was so upset. Why not instead think, "Wow, I got rid of the pain for so long, I can do it again; also now I'm sure it was all TMS". It will be easier after you get some sleep. You ca go slow on resuming the activity; what's the rush. I had success using Scott Brady's book, Pain Free For Life. It include specific mental exercises and different topics to journal about. Also, if you rage is about problems that can be solved (not always) it would make sense to go ahead and deal with them.
Go to Top of Page

stemdog 39

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  20:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,

Thanks for the suggestion on the book. I will be sure to order it. A little direction would do me some good. I plan to wait until my conscious enlightens my subconscious as to it's newfound knowledge before I go stirring up the pot (confronting) on repressed issues. I'm trying to keep the heart rate down as much as possible (which is not easy in severe pain). Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion. I'll be around. Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000