TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Need to Re-learn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Texasrunner

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  07:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Five years ago I posted frequently on this forum. As a marathon runner, I had chronic upper hamstring/butt pain of 8 years duration. Ultimately, I conquered it and even wrote about it here. Since then I've run many pain-free miles and marathons. And somewhere, along the way, I forgot about TMS. I forgot that my personality and stressors have not changed. And guess what? I now have the same pain on the OTHER side! Well, I need to re-learn how to think psychologically. Dr. Sopher, who is one of Sarno's colleauges, e-mailed me today saying that: "Eternal vigilance is needed to stay well. Symptoms often return once the TMS thinking fades."

Sounds like me! Now, where to start?

Edited by - Texasrunner on 10/09/2009 07:51:10

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  08:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Texasrunner

OK, Five years ago I posted frequently on this forum. As a marathon runner, I had chronic upper hamstring/butt pain of 8 years duration. Ultimately, I conquered it and even wrote about it here. Since then I've run many pain-free miles and marathons. And somewhere, along the way, I forgot about TMS. I forgot that my personality and stressors have not changed. And guess what? I now have the same pain on the OTHER side! Well, I need to re-learn how to think psychologically. Dr. Sopher, who is one of Sarno's colleauges, e-mailed me today saying that: "Eternal vigilance is needed to stay well. Symptoms often return once the TMS thinking fades."

Sounds like me! Now, where to start?

How interesting as it is eternal vigilance that is the fuel for my illness...
Go to Top of Page

Texasrunner

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  09:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By eternal vigilance, Dr. Sopher is not saying to always be on the lookout for pain- on the contrary, he is saying, always think psychologically. Never forget that you are subject to TMS, should your resercoir of subconcsious rage fill up. That's what he's referring to...
Go to Top of Page

flutterby

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  11:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought almost the same as pan!

I think a lot of us need to relax and go with the flow.

For instance, one of my daughters has five lively and adventurous small children and it's probable that her need to be constantly vigilant makes her tense and contributes to her backpain!

Edited by - flutterby on 10/09/2009 15:56:14
Go to Top of Page

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  15:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Texasrunner! As you indicated, I must constantly be vigilant about "thinking psychological" and all that encompasses. My natural tendency is to think about what’s going on with my body.

I’m not meaning to play semantic games… but to me, relaxing and going with the flow are just another aspect of thinking psychological.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  23:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey marathon guy! A lot of us- runners and non-runners - have been reading Born To Run (about people who do 100 miles in a day easily - especially a Mexican tribe).

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

Monte

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  08:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Texasrunner,

I beleive it is the realization that tms is a cause and effect disorder. Meaning we generate inner tension and we get the effects.

Keeping the practice of thinking psychological without thinking tms can be helpful. "hey I know what is going on here, thanks for the signal for me to think psychological, I appreciate it, but pain, I don't need you anymore".

Now get into a thought and behavior pattern that is more open, allowing and balanced.

I think you and I were communicating back in 2003/04. One of the big things that has really helped for me is accepting that we are people that generate tms symptoms and the treatment of thinking psychological and thinking clean is a lifestyle and not a treatment. We are not treating or fixing something that is wrong, we are daily practicing to be more open, allowing, flexible and balanced in the way we think, beleive and act. If this is what we communicate to our nervous system our nervous system automatically communicates this throughout our system.

Btw - have you ever run the Austin half-marathon in February? I am thinking seriously about running that for the first time. Hear it is quite fast.

Regards,

Monte Hueftle
www.runningpain.com
Go to Top of Page

Texasrunner

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  07:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"We are people that generate tms symptoms and the treatment of thinking psychological and thinking clean is a lifestyle and not a treatment."
-Well put, Monte. Yes, we communicated back in 2003-4. Pretty much ran pain-free from then until now. Oh well, I'll get past this one, too. And hopefully, understanding better now than before will help me deal with it in a shorter time period.

Part of my strategy has been to make fun of the "injury," knowing that it is fake. However, when it really hurts, that can be tough.

The Austin half-marathon in February used to be fast, but now is actually quite a tough course- not a PR course by any means. However, the 3M Half-Marathon in Austin, set for January 24, 2010 is really fast- definitely a PR course.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000