TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Current un-reality....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MagicHands

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  17:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've posted in the past about hand pain, pelvic pain, and throat pain (singing), and most recently, dizziness. They have all remained to some extent, and the dizziness has been most prominent.

I read the Claire Weekes book at the recommendation of a member here, and thought it was excellent. I tried to focus on the daily anxiety I was subjecting myself to, and treating the symptoms as such. There is no money for therapy now. I just turned 25, and recently moved out of my parents house in favor of the city. I don't have a job at the moment, but still living comfortably off unemployment from the previous job. While going out has been tough, I've tried to go out only when there's something particularly enjoyable.

I've tried to remove the major stressors from my life, and entertain a more "self sympathetic" lifestyle. There were times when i thought it was working. For the last month though, things have really been going south. Here's a brief list:

I’m lethargic
I dread every new day
Taking on goals requires enormous effort, with minimal reward.
I struggle to make the most basic plans
I’m highly self conscious and ashamed of my “life impotence”
As a person that’s slower to share myself in the first place, the nail gets hammered in by the things above
Reducing stress doesn’t seem to work any better than increasing it.
I feel trapped rather than comforted by my daily habits, by my computer, by my room
I'm dizzy, with that "deck of the ship" feeling. I leave home briefly reluctantly, anticipating a wave of dizziness
I know that it’s essential to establish a life outside these routines, and one bringing me outside of my head. But if I’m not making plans, and I’m not getting out, there’s no way for that to happen
Things that would be mildly aggravating can put enormous strain on me.
Most of the things I would otherwise enjoy are just quick fixes to remove me from the apathy of my daily existence.

I have no shortage of ideas of things to do. I have no shortage of good intentions. But getting out, planning, and keeping my head above water have all become exceedingly difficult. The natural lifestyle changes I've tried to institute, from sleeping more, to meditation,to exercise, to regular meals, to reducing scope of my goals, feel like I'm shooting a forest fire with a squirtgun.

I'm in a place in my life that doesn't HAVE to be really stressful, but it's a juncture where I have some plans to execute. I didn't follow a conventional doctor/lawyer path in life. I have some work to do, and this is bringing things to a standstill. There don't seem to be many places to turn. My family/friends just worry. I can't afford therapy. On the most restless days, it seems like an early stage of nervous breakdown.

I don't want to have a nervous breakdown. I want to be able to rely on myself again, and I've been so physically and mentally agitated lately it seems impossible. Stressors and responsibilities that would be minor in the past seem to throw me into a cycle. I'm depressed, it doesn't take a PHD to figure that one out. But it's coloured by this nervous stuff to boot.

I'm trying... But just acknowledgment and a few changed habits don't seem to cut it alone. This physical/mental state isn't letting me start my life. I don't know what to do, short of drugging myself. I don't like it, but I'm just as repulsed by repeating things that aren't working as I am by medications.

Any advice is welcome, preferably from people that have experienced this firsthand, or helped someone similar through it.

-JJ-

'TMS Guinea Pig'

Edited by - MagicHands on 01/30/2010 17:47:07

catspine

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  19:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 'TMS Guinea Pig'

Been there done that.

There are too many things going on at once.

Be patient. One thing at a time . Start with something simple.

You're not feeling good right now so all I could suggest until you can take the next step is to search through uplifting quotes on dedicated web sites.
It may sound silly but you may find in there the spark that will get the fire started.
Don't think about the idea just do it , you can think later. You got nothing to lose.

About the dizziness: don't wait ! even if it is for nothing get checked by a doctor to rule out any serious issues as a precaution if you didn't do it yet. If nothing wrong it will help you cope with tms later on

Be aware that TMS may affects the vascular system in many ways including blood delivery to the organs sometimes mostly through anxiety symptoms. You mentioned problems in your throat , the ears and the throat are closely linked and the ears can affect your sense of balance. You're gonna have to work on the anxiety and chances are you'll start to feel better after a while.

Nobody said it is going to be easy as there is some work involved but you seem to be up to the task so please don't despair you'll succeed if such is your intention.

Believe it is possible to solve your problem .Tremendous things happen to believers. So believe the answer will come . It will.
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2010 :  22:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I read a lot of these posts mentioning Claire Weekes. While she does talk about anxiety as it relates to pain, there are so many better books on anxiety disorder. Her books are good but they are really old and there has been so much research on anxiety treatment since. Having suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since childhood, I have over 60 books on anxiety (both for the layman and clinical books) and to me, one of the best one is The Anxiety And Phobia Workbook by Edmund J, Bourne. I also like Anxiety, Phobias and Panic by Peurifoy and Embracing The Fear by Bemis.

If you go to Amazon and type in health anxiety, there are some good ones, one being "It's Not All In Your Head" by a team who also wrote "Treating Health Anxiety" written for the practitioner. Another one is "Stop Wprrying About Your Health".

I mention these because I think many of us have health anxiety, which can come from TMS and vice versa...the books have helped me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000