TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 My Story with TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Irish Jimmy

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  09:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I have not posted in awhile. I am posting now because recently I went through a TMS flare up, with the distraction being heartburn. This started after my father was stricken with cancer over two years ago. The distraction went away, and then came back, then went away. etc. Well, the usual of talking to my brain, asking it to direct blood flow, and reminding myself this distraction is normal, and thinking what could be going on in that brain of mine, etc. was not working! So, I started reading The MindBody Prescription from page one. It helped immediately, and further reading of it helped more.

Also, when I got to the treatment chapter, I realized I had not been journaling as much as I normally do. I THINK THIS IS PARAMOUNT TO RECOVERY FOR ME. I try to at least journal once a week. But, this time making a list, as Dr. Sarno recommends in the treatment chapter helped greatly. I could not believe the size of the list. The list included pressures both good and bad, life events, and personality traits I was aware of, but on paper they seem more "concrete", and not just passing thoughts.

So, I am on my way back again! I also noticed that my acne has nearly diminished completely during this time when the distraction was heartburn. TMS is tricky!!

Here is a partial list of things that were distractions for me in the past:

-Stomach ailments(lost 30 pounds) no Doctor explanation.
-dizziness
-acne (always a base distraction, but much improvement)
-anxiety

Pain in the following:

-Back (great now)
-Feet (told I would have to take anti-inflammatory meds the rest of my life, and that I would never be a marathon runner, LOL!) I ran a half-marathon a couple years after finding out about TMS.

-knees (told my legs were "tight", sent to PT)
-elbows (told by doc to lift weights... that was what I was doing when I started to have pain!)

-TMJ (gone quickly)

-There are others, but they have passed.

The point I want to make here is I am 95% TMS free. But, more importantly the distractions do no have the powerful fear component that had a hold on me at certain times! I workout, I run, I play sports. I love to be physically active. The fear of pain and suffering kept me away from these things I have mentioned.

Recommendations: Read the books by Dr. Sarno, have faith, journal, make a list of: personality traits, life pressures, and things that have happened to you in your life, that still may bother or effect you. Talk to your brain... AND, Do not give up!!

Furthermore, The TMS Forum is great, but do not become consumed with it. What The Forum is ultimately good for is confirmation that there are others out there just like you and I, that are seeking knowledge about TMS. But, do report back with your successes from time to time to help others. Remember, it is the goodist in you and me!! But, seriously, I wish the best for anyone who is working through TMS. It is not easy, but build on your successes, however small!

Good luck,

JIM

Gibbon

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done

Check out the TMS website: www.rsi-backpain.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly