TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS Psychologist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  09:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone familiar with Robert Evans in Englewood, NJ? I spent over a year with a Sarno therapist in NYC but made no progess. I called Sarno and he said his therapist of last resort (or something like that) was Dr. Evans.

Thanks.

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya, truenorth....

Dr. Evans is a great guy. He was trained by Drs. Sarno and Feinblatt in '86-'87 and has been seeing Dr. Sarno's patients ever since.

The wiki has a questionnaire that it sends out to all TMS therapists. You can see his response here:
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/Survey+Response%3A+Dr+Bob+Evans

MatthewNJ is a patient of his and recommends him at the very bottom of his wiki profile:
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/account/MatthewNJ

There's a great thread about slow recoveries you may want to check out:
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/thread/3383681/Why+do+some+people+not+get+on+with+Dr+Sarno%27s+method%3F
In the 13th post of the thread, Matthew says about Dr. Evans that
quote:
Dr. Sarno is great, he got me very far, and he helped many others. But when he sent me to Dr. Evans for counseling THAT is what is getting me (please note current tense) the furthest.

He also stopped in and offered some kind advice in a thread in which a woman was asking for advice about TMS and childhood molestation: (post 15)
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/thread/3620565/Recovering+from+childhood+molestation

Dr. Evans wrote a review of one of his favorite TMS books for the wiki:
http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/Waking+the+Tiger
(we're always looking for more book reviews if anyone wants to read one.)

Hope this helps!

Forest
My story at tmswiki.org

Edited by - forestfortrees on 03/08/2010 08:51:46
Go to Top of Page

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for such a detailed and helpful response, Forest!
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to help... I'm pretty obsessed with the wiki, so I'm just glad that we've got so much to link to!

Forest
My story at tmswiki.org
Go to Top of Page

joan

34 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by truenorth

Anyone familiar with Robert Evans in Englewood, NJ? I spent over a year with a Sarno therapist in NYC but made no progess. I called Sarno and he said his therapist of last resort (or something like that) was Dr. Evans.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

guej

115 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been seeing Dr. Evans for several months now. I really like him a lot. Free of pain, I am not, but I am better, and more importantly, pain or no pain, my life is better. We don't dwell or agonize over past events. Past history is reviewed so that I can see and understand the genesis of some of my current thought patterns. It has helped me tremendously in changing some very ingrained habits that were certainly contributing to a very stressed out mind, and thus, tension filled body. He had me pegged very quickly, and was able to point out to me things I've always known deep down about myself, but never allowed myself to think about or deal with. He's very intelligent and just enjoyable to talk to. Perhaps you can call him and spend a little time on the phone reviewing what you did with the other therapist, and seeing if he has anything different to offer. In my opinion, he's really a decent guy. He doesn't seem like the type that would rope you in just to line his pockets.
Go to Top of Page

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, quej. I thought the point of seeing a TMS therapist was to uncover the repressed feelings, not to change thought patterns or unlearn habits. When I hear this kind of thing, you lose me.
Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  18:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted this reply to Mala but I think it might help your understanding of working with repressed emotions.
Maybe it is more important to focus on why we repress our emotions . The reasons why we repress may be caused by our past experiences , the way we have learned to survive and deal with life.
For me not focusing on the pain has been an important step for my recovery.No more fighting the pain. I feel real pain but I do not discuss it or focus on it. I think about why the pain is there and usually I can identify a stress that is causing the pain. Those stresses come from my past. All of us have different reasons for our pain.

My survival depended on my repressing my emotions. To feel emotion is a greater risk for me than it is to feel physical pain. This may not make sense to you but for me it was crucial to understand that.

My recovery began when I allowed myself to feel not react and not to fight the pain.
I realized that experiencing emotional pain was too much for me when my daughter was in the middle of a devastating experience in her life. She lives 3,000 miles away from me so I flew out to give her some moral support. I stayed with he for a few weeks and then I had to return home. I must say that I am not fond of flying but on my return home I had no fear of flying. My thoughts upon boarding the plane were that if the plane crashed it would be OK with me. Facing the emotion upheaval in our lives was so difficult to deal with I thought that if I died it would be easier than facing all the painful emotions.

I hate the physical pain but it is the emotional stuff I fear.
The journey for me has been long and difficult. I am better. You will be also.

Check out Monte's post . They were very helpful .

Marsha
Go to Top of Page

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  18:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Marsha. I've been dealing with this for seven years and know Monte well and have done phone sessions with him, as well as Don Dubin. I only know what I know. I experience my emotions ALL the time. That for me is not the problem. I've done the TMS drill countless times. I will give Dr. Evans a call. BTW, I totally believe I have TMS and nothing physical. 100%. It took a long time to reach this point.
Go to Top of Page

Nor

152 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  11:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just in case you could use another one, here's a plug for Dr. Evans: Both my husband and I saw him (separately) for TMS issues and we both thought he was great.

Nor
Go to Top of Page

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  13:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Nor. Without getting too personal, did her help you get to the repressed feelings?

Go to Top of Page

joan

34 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  08:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went to him briefly told me some pts come 3times a week at 130.00 a visit...made me wonder!!!
Go to Top of Page

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  08:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joan,

Are you referring to Dr. Robert Evans in Englewood, NJ? He told me he charges $250 for a 45 minute visit. Maybe the $130 is the price for three visits per week.
Go to Top of Page

guej

115 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  13:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have out of network insurance benefits that pay for a pretty decent portion of Dr. Evan's fee, so that makes it manageable to me. Plus, I have given up all other treatments (myofascial massage, accupuncture, doctor visits, etc), so this really is the only medical expense I now have related to this pain. If I didn't have insurance, I'm not sure what I would do. There are obviously no guarantees. If someone could tell you..."Pay $3000 for once a week sessions for 3 months and you'll be cured of pain", we'd all sign on the dotted line in a minute. The problem is you have no guarantee of how long it will take or if it will yield the results you hope for, so if $$ is an issue, that just adds even more pressure to therapy visits. My husband and I both work and have the benefit of insurance, so while I"m not thrilled about the time or money commitment, it's still not a deal-breaker. I also try to look at it as something that is making my life better (pain or no pain). Seriously, I'm much happier in general since starting therapy with Dr. Evans. Yes we certainly dig into repressed emotions, but we also talk about how my personal history causes me to react in a certain way to events that happen now. He is helping me to have a healthier response to stressful events in my life so that I am not continuously creating new tension in my body. Another plus is that in recognizing certain thought patterns in my own head (perfectionist tendencies), I now catch myself projecting them on to my kids. At the very least, maybe now I won't screw up my kids! Anyway, that's my plug for therapy, but like I said, insurance makes it an easier decision for me.
Go to Top of Page

truenorth

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  13:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guej

This is not my first time in therapy. I saw a TMS doc back in 2006 for about 18 months so I know what I'm facing. The money is a lot for anyone, especially someone like me who has a high deductible insurance policy and has to pay the first $5500 for the year out of pocket. Even with that, only 30% of what I pay to Dr. Evans goes towards the deductible. I'm in a good space about the money, having told myself that I can't go on like this and must do something.

I've already had one session with Dr. Evans and came away impressed and encouraged. For a long time I've felt the need to release something (Dr. Evans said it really isn't necessary to identify what it is in order to get better) and would sit on my couch and just feel and energy surrounding my body and begin to shake. I did this with Dr. Evans in the first session and gradually just sank into the couch with my head to one side resting on the arm of the couch.

On the way home to Westchester, out of nowhere, I began to feel this energy again but this time let out a long, primal scream. Amazing. I wasn't frightened at all. I was almost in a trance and had to remind myself that I was driving.

Off to a good start, I think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000