TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 can you over think tms?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

healingback

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  02:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all, I'm pretty new to tms... suffering with sacroiliac dysfunction, along with piriformis syndrome... apparently!

My question is as we all have the characteristics of perfectionism... and I am an all or nothing person,,, I feel every waking hr I'm either thinking tms, reading tms or journalling tms... even when the pains not there... I feel very angry if I'm interupted if I'm reading etc... as I feel that I need to fully root myself to tms. Is to much tms thinking etc only going to bring on more tms trouble,,, can you over think it?

Also my pain comes on worse when walking and standing in one spot... when this happens what should I focus on? Do I keep walking even though the pain has me bent over at times?

The other day after reading the divided mind and journalling I found that either the back pain gets worse, or I will have diffrent pains, I.e down my leg or my wrist will start to hurt... physically it very eay to put it down to piriformis playing up or the rsi I had in my wrist a few months ago... I tell myself 'thanks for sharing uncounsious but I have no need for the pain, I'm not scared of you and I have no need for you'... is this the right thing to do?

I'm only working a few others a week, so I have a lot of time on my hands... maybe to much... do you think I should look at taking on another job, or just increase my walking and activity first... I used to be a personal trainer... so its infurianting to me to not be able to walk without pain.

Advice much appriciated ;)

Plantweed

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  07:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a way, the overthinking IS the TMS. The obsession with the pain, or the possibility of pain, is what's feeding it. Break the circuit, stop obsessing. Get out, change up your life, do new things that rewire your brain and challenge you out of the mental hole you've dug for yourself. Stop feeding it, and it dies. I know, it worked for me.
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  07:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi healingback,

I think one can "overthink" TMS. I'm new to it too, and like you I have more pain when standing and walking. Like you, too, I tend to be in for a penny and the pound and even the ton. I think the brain can overload with info sometimes.

Though Sarno says, I think, that we should think psychologically when confronted by the real pain, I have found that to be only somewhat helpful at this point. I have tried, instead, sometimes, to really focus on the moment at hand. For instance, yesterday I took a long walk in the forest preserve here, and instead of sticking to the trail I ventured off into the woods with my camera, just to do something different. It was after my woods excursion that I recalled that I hadn't noticed the pain.

Others on here have said that after journaling the pain can get worse, as it brings emotions to the surface. I'm not actively journaling so I don't know.

I think time on hands is a big factor too. I work alone, live alone and spend way too much time alone -- about 95% of my time. I am really trying to change it.

The changing of pains around is, from what I understand, a good sign that your malady is TMS.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000