TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 ABOUT THE POSTS BELOW 0_o
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  04:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello people,

I used to be a regular poster here and reread some of my posts. I realized I gave out a lot of personal info about myself. Even though nobody knows 'who' I am, I really didn't feel comfortable about it.

Can't explain why really.

Don't worry , the posts I deleted really had nothing profound or new, and it's been years sine they were active anyways. And I couldn't ask for the whole topics to be deleted, so I just deleted my part.

Carry on and just let them fall to the back of the line.

Thanks guys.

---------------------------
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"- John Lennon

"TMS is just as afraid of us succeeding, as it is us failing" - Me

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  05:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's called paranoia with perhaps a dash of OCD (irresistable desire to wash away your sins... so to speak)
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  08:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I delete a post.

Part of my problem through life was that I kept too much of me hidden, so in most cases now, I don't give a ______________ what's out there.

Go to Top of Page

golden_girl

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  20:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Posted - 04/18/2011 : 05:55:12
It's called paranoia with perhaps a dash of OCD (irresistable desire to wash away your sins... so to speak)

I agree.

"F.E.A.R.
Forgive Everyone And Remember
For Everything A Reason"
Ian Brown
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  06:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
la_kevin,

I think it makes perfect sense to maintain the level of assurance of privacy you're comfortable with, depending on your job and where you are in life. Reputation matters a lot more in some jobs and geographic regions than in others - and supposedly anonymous people are identified online all the time. What's more, some people simply place a string weight on privacy than others, and that sense can change over time. While I think it's best not to break up a useful conversation, everyone has to look out for their best interests both professionally and emotionally.

Alexis
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  07:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds good, Alexis. I found myself nodding my head, But then wait a minute (I thought). I don't see how someone using a pseudonym has anything to worry about with respect to privacy.

I do wonder about the occasional person who uses his or her real name, or who gives their real name on their profile...

And in the end, of course it's all about sleeping at night.

Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  21:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took only personal info out of my posts, for reasons only known to me.
There are no 'sins' to cover. I had a few bad experiences recently that prompted me to guard myself more with my online activities.

That's all.

---------------------------
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"- John Lennon

"TMS is just as afraid of us succeeding, as it is us failing" - Me
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  08:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Sins" was obviously used figuratively.

I'm not particularly interested in your reasons (of which you seem somewhat unsure). That's entirely up to you. I am however interested in the topic of confidentiality on the Internet. It seems to me that unless someone gives identifying information, or perhaps someone has reason to believe some particular individual can identify him, then there's not much meaningful to worry about.

Plus, with respect to this particular forum, we are, let's face it, a bunch of worriers. Worry one could argue, is our very stock in trade..I think it's important (speaking generally here about TMS'ers) to separate real dangers from imaginary.

Edited by - art on 04/22/2011 08:47:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000