TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 The only possible explaination
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  19:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I suffered the worst attack of TMS (the nasties) in my lower back since 2000 twelve years ago. It arose slowly to the point where I was compelled to take some Tylenol P.M. at which time I went to bed.
I woke in the middle of the night nearly screaming. My past sciatic pains from 2000 were back with a vengeance at a pain level 8-9 not seen since then. I did not know what to do. After rolling and tossing in bed for several hours I got up and consoled myself with a large bowl of raisin bran. I had the lights on, as I was in terrible shape, and the bright light it gave me clarity of thought from the dark of the night.
As I focused and crunched every mouthful I mentally screamed at this new pain to go away, I reflected the pain was almost as bad as my recent appendix attack that led to emergency surgery and those nice doses of morphine. This went on into my second bowl of raisin bran, as the food and crunching seemed to comfort me.
I then did Yoga, to calm down. I have this one stretch that always gets rid of my sciatic pain, it’s has become like a switch, and I’ve used it for years in all types of situations when my low back niggles. After several hours I went to bed much calmer and eventually dozed off, waking pain free.
The only possible explanation:
I am convinced that this is my old TMS pain resurfacing from my Success 2000 story. My recent TMS pain in my neck tried to return to its original abode - I did not let it. What struck me was the intensity and suddenness of the pain, have I become complacent in my pain free world? I will attribute this event to my two hour heavy discussion with my wife about TMS that led to tears, mini arguments and much hugging.
I guess this is a mini success story, and the two bowls of raisin bran can’t do me any harm!

Andy

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  19:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi - I sometimes get nightmares that cause pain in the morning. Today I tried taking an herb that really helped - white willow bark.
I had bought a really expensive product for my mother-in-law when she couldn't walk, and the next day she could walk again. She had been taking msm, condroitin,glucosamine etc., and this was the only extra ingreident. I really don't like to take anything, especially drugs. Please consider this a temporay sloution only.
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  23:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great story Andy. Congrats on seeing it through and feeling relief!

-1/2010 - Developed chronic sinus problems. ENTs/Docs can't find anything
-5/29/2010 - Doc gives cocktail of allergy meds which induces first ever panic attack/anxiety.
-7/16/2010 - Anxiety stays/worsens - put on Xanax
2/1/2011 - Began Xanax taper - Withdrawal starts - full body chaos
-6/11/2011 - Last dose of Xanax. Physical/emotional chaos continues for several months.
-Now: Taking it day by day, looking for real answers and ways to heal myself without medical poison.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  23:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by altherunner

hi - I sometimes get nightmares that cause pain in the morning. Today I tried taking an herb that really helped - white willow bark.

White willow bark in it's chemical form is known as aspirin.
Go to Top of Page

rbart4506

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  06:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice story!

That's basically what happened to me a few days back when I was getting ready to go to bed. I had been sitting and snoozing in my comfy chair watching TV...

Got up to go to bed and the sciatic pain in my leg was back with a vengeance! I didn't react as well as you...I'm still learning :)

But, I did go to bed and relax...After cursing and getting a bit negative...When I woke the next day everything was back to same the level it had been the day before...

It's only a matter of time before I get this...
Go to Top of Page

Ophelia

France
38 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  07:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sciatic yoga stretch? I have had chronic sciatic pain for over 2 years I know it is TMS but can't shake it off I would be grateful to know what your yoga stretch is. Many thanks Ophelia
quote:
Originally posted by andy64tms

Last night I suffered the worst attack of TMS (the nasties) in my lower back since 2000 twelve years ago. It arose slowly to the point where I was compelled to take some Tylenol P.M. at which time I went to bed.
I woke in the middle of the night nearly screaming. My past sciatic pains from 2000 were back with a vengeance at a pain level 8-9 not seen since then. I did not know what to do. After rolling and tossing in bed for several hours I got up and consoled myself with a large bowl of raisin bran. I had the lights on, as I was in terrible shape, and the bright light it gave me clarity of thought from the dark of the night.
As I focused and crunched every mouthful I mentally screamed at this new pain to go away, I reflected the pain was almost as bad as my recent appendix attack that led to emergency surgery and those nice doses of morphine. This went on into my second bowl of raisin bran, as the food and crunching seemed to comfort me.
I then did Yoga, to calm down. I have this one stretch that always gets rid of my sciatic pain, it’s has become like a switch, and I’ve used it for years in all types of situations when my low back niggles. After several hours I went to bed much calmer and eventually dozed off, waking pain free.
The only possible explanation:
I am convinced that this is my old TMS pain resurfacing from my Success 2000 story. My recent TMS pain in my neck tried to return to its original abode - I did not let it. What struck me was the intensity and suddenness of the pain, have I become complacent in my pain free world? I will attribute this event to my two hour heavy discussion with my wife about TMS that led to tears, mini arguments and much hugging.
I guess this is a mini success story, and the two bowls of raisin bran can’t do me any harm!

Andy

Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  12:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ophelia,
My sciatic yoga stretches two versions:
Version 1 in chair: Sit upright in chair with feet on the ground. Cross and rest ankle over opposing knee. You should be able to hold the sole of your foot in this position. Tuck in chin, curl and lean forward while exhaling. Lean forward to the point of slight pain, and hold breath for one minute or so. You should be feeling a muscle in your lower back-buttock stretch and tingle. Return to a normal position and relax and sigh.
Version 2 on floor: Lie on the floor on your back and bring one knee up to chest. Cross ankle over opposing knee. Clasp the opposing knee with both hands, (fingers interlocked). Pull knee towards head. Tuck in chin, curl forward while exhaling. Curl forward to the point of slight pain, and hold breath for one minute or so. Your head might nearly touch your knee in this position. As above you should be feeling a muscle in your lower back-buttock stretch and tingle. Return to a normal position and relax and sigh.
Good for both left and right. At the point of pain tell the pain you don’t care about it. Tell it you know it can’t hurt you. Tell it you are in control of it, as per Dr. Sarno.
Version 1. For restaurants movie theaters and other sitting positions
Version 2. For situations where you can lie on your back.

I recommend Yoga for general health. These stretches are not official in Yoga books that I know of. Go to a Yoga class and find the moves that help you the most. Good Luck

Andy

Edited by - andy64tms on 02/26/2012 12:59:42
Go to Top of Page

stevep

106 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  15:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See the whole stretching thing confuses me. Doesn't this go against the recovery process? Aren't you not supposed to do anything physical to combat the pain? I've been struggling with this ever since learning about TMS a few months back. Goes for yoga too...
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  15:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,
No I don’t think so.
Quotes from Dr. Sarno’s twelve daily Reminders:
“Since my back is basically normal there is nothing to fear, therefore physical activity is not dangerous”
“And I must resume all normal activity”.
“I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain.”
For me Yoga is a normal activity. When I nudge into the pain voluntarily I’m telling the pain I just don’t care about it.
When I jogged against my pain in my Success2000 storey I ran through the pain telling it I knew it was not in charge, and that I did not care about it. It was a miracle, I hope you have one.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rbart4506

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  15:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Andy...

Same goes for core work and back strengthening exercises...I consider that stuff just overall health and strength related...

I know for myself as a cyclist I require a strong core to support my body properly when I am on the bike and those exercise help with that...

Personally I plan on starting massages again, not specifically to help the back, but more as an overall health benefit thing. I enjoy the massages and how I feel after. It makes me feel good, which goes a long way to improving my overall mood...
Go to Top of Page

stevep

106 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  16:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand the yoga and core exercises. That makes sense to me now. However the stretches that target a symptom you are having (i.e. sciatic stretch) still seems counter to the theory to me.

Oh and I did have a miracle. And it lasted for a couple months. I'm currently getting over a relapse at the moment though.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  16:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stevep,
read my next message on Aversion Theraphy, It might clarify my theory, and it is sort of related.
Andy

Andy
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  00:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,

Sarno says you can take even take a pain pill if you need to.
I'm fairly sure that if a stretch provided temporary relief , Sarno would be fine with a patient doing it as long as the patient was clear that this was just a bandaid and not related to the source of the problem.

In other words, if you're doing "the work," to me it's fair to utilize temporary pain relief methods if it's beyond tolerance.

-1/2010 - Developed chronic sinus problems. ENTs/Docs can't find anything
-5/29/2010 - Doc gives cocktail of allergy meds which induces first ever panic attack/anxiety.
-7/16/2010 - Anxiety stays/worsens - put on Xanax
2/1/2011 - Began Xanax taper - Withdrawal starts - full body chaos
-6/11/2011 - Last dose of Xanax. Physical/emotional chaos continues for several months.
-Now: Taking it day by day, looking for real answers and ways to heal myself without medical poison.
Go to Top of Page

rbart4506

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  06:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bryan3000

In other words, if you're doing "the work," to me it's fair to utilize temporary pain relief methods if it's beyond tolerance.

I may be wrong here, but I would consider the physical work part of "the work"...

Kind of like trying to lose weight, you can diet and you can exercise and have some success, but do both and you are most certain of a lasting success...

You just have to remember not to lose sight of what the root of the problem is and that sits squarely on your unconscious mind...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000