TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Clicking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Livvygurl

20 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  12:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,
I am doing pretty well. I am reading, journaling, visualizing and I know I need to be more patient about further healing strides. I want to increase my activity level but feel I need to let go of more of this extreme tightness, and slowly develop the confidence towards being more physical. I have hurt myself trying to go to fast. Also, sometimes life demands physical action, like opening really heavy doors!

Over the years my back has clicked “in and out” at times because of very tight TMS muscles as well as triggers. When I feel it is “out” sometimes I can click it back in from rolling on the floor. This is a habit/ coping skill that I developed from dealing with pain for so long. Instead of trying to physically get relief from the discomfort should I practice doing this with my brain and commands. If so, this is a difficult transition to make. Is there anyone out there who has experience or advice concerning this issue?

Livvy ~

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  12:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I had a similar experience if I understand you correctly. In the 1990s I hired a famous physical therapist who tried to physically align my entire body into perfect angles for pain relief using pool doodles and pillows, etc. Then one day my back popped, seemingly into place, and my pain was gone. I was so happy with that therapist. I felt that my back had been too tense over the years to stay "in." I bragged that therapist up and down. But the pain came back worse, time and time again.

It wasn't until the finding of the good doctor that it all fell together. Once I realized what was really happening and that my back couldn't go in or out I closed my eyes one day, while still in pain, and I imagined that popping sound and feeling I had with the therapist. I visualized the popping sound and my back pain suddenly left. It was at that moment that I understood that the physical therapy had been a placebo, and that all the chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture had been placebos. Over the healing period I often turned to closing my eyes and mentally hearing my back pop in place and the pain would leave as soon as I "visualized" the sound.

The brain is very powerful. Don't keep rolling on the floor to "put your back in." I made that mistake, it prolongs pain. Mentally close your eyes and feel your back already in place--because it is.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Livvygurl

20 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  12:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

This is hard work, changing old habits! I have been going to a Network Chiropractor for several years. He does light energy work and I like it, but I am trying to wean myself off of going to see him. Also, I am seeing a therapist next week to talk about anxiety, Yay! How long do you think it will take me to break the habit of cracking my back? I do it in a safe way and I have been doing it for a long time. Also, what is your opinion about Yoga. I need to start practicing twisting my spine in a safe format. I am very stiff from years of being scared to move and be flexible.

I will try this:
“Mentally close your eyes and feel your back already in place--because it is.”

Best,
Livvy ~

Ps I am looking forward to getting your book!
Go to Top of Page

SteveO

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  13:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Old habits die slowly. Remember Dr. Sarno said if the brain didn't change slowly we would be highly unstable animals. So nature intended us to alter our habits over time and not instantly or we would be Tasmanian devils.

As you know the chiropractor will keep you in pain for life. I had two good friends who are chiros and they no longer speak to me. But they are part of the problem by building their careers on what Dr. Sopher called "alternate realities." I see many of them have caught on and are shifting away from manipulations to energy flow, etc. But how much of that is placebo-based as well?

The back cracking is a knee-jerk reaction to a false meme planted in us that our backs are misaligned when we experience pain. This can be overcome, much depends on how high the anxiety is and how much you need that placebo for your comfort zone. You have the power within you to stop it today. Keep reminding yourself that your back is fine, it's in place, and that the "cracking" is keeping you in pain. This will settle in after time. Be patient, but catch yourself doing it and keep repeating the mantra...I'm ok...I'm ok...it's ok...relax..

I remember when I was in engineering at GM walking into work in the morning there was a sea of people at their desks all twisting their bodies in their chairs cracking their backs. It was a reaction to the anxiety of the new day.

I think yoga is super. One of the best things you can do as long as you don't do it for pain reduction. I'm certified in yoga as a trainer. When you perform yoga you don't think about your back. You think of what you're feeling deep inside at the time, you allow for anything to surface by not thinking, just allowing.

I was always afraid to move freely too but now I'm free. Our bodies are very strong. Don't be afraid to move or try new movements.

When you close your eyes and picture your back in place, feel the tension and how it alone is pulling on one side or the other and begin to let that muscle relax. Close your eyes in the dark and feel the tension you're holding and let it go....breathe...let go..breathe...

Takes time but works every time.

Good luck

Steve

Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  05:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys see the recs above by Steve o are using the mind power techniques that I mentioned before. I found that in my case and in the patients I helped get better that the mind power techniques are critical to the complete reversal of TMS esp in more severe cases. Actually most people who get better use them without knowing and I believe they were the basic reason they got better. At first I was not using them, but trying to just not react to the things that bothered me, or calm my revved up mind in particular situations that I had conditioned myself to from before. However, even thought i knew what I had to do, I could not stop my mind or calm it down until I used these techniques. Good luck to all
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  11:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wonderful advices by SteveO and Ace1 above are very helpful if we just follow it. I just want to add a few things that I found helped me in my fight against tms/anxiety.

Breaking the rountine. We Tms/anxiety suffers usually created this safe zone for ourself. We stick to routine, we affraid of changes, we affraid to try new thing, to start new project, to enter a new relationship,... we just don't feel safe in any new environment. I found that it help me when I can break out of my routine when I was suffered from tms/anxiety. I drove to work using different routes. I try to make new friend whenever the chance occured. I tried to strike conversation with people I met anywhere, even stranger. I tried to ask lot of question "about the person" and never about me. I tried to join clubs and groups that promoted something I'm interest in, and most of all I tried to join charities so I can do something I think is useful for society or to help someone in need.

Break out of everyday rountine allow my brain to take a break from thinking negatively about my symptoms. It show my brain that there is more to life than pain and anxiety. And sometime I got lucky and don't feel any pain/anxiety while I was so focus on doing something or talking to someone, that would like a big hint to my brain that HEY, when I don't think about "Me", usually the pain cease or reduced, the anxiety disappear or don't feel as bad. I should do this more often. I should "not think about my symptoms".

I really think if somehow, whatever method we use, if we can make our brain "not" think about our symptoms and not what those symptom can do to our body, we will be cure.

Take your choice: Yoga, meditation, deep praying, affirmation, get a new life, volunteer, travel... whatever it is, just don't fear your symptoms and you will be on your way to complete healing.

Goodluck.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  11:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like Baltos advice. He also helped to clue me in to the idea that I was conditioned to very many situations and that I had to recondition myself to them. So unlike what dr Sarno says about being conditioned about certain bodily positions etc. You indeed are conditioned to certain senerios like going to work, going to the grocery store etc, independent of any unconscious process. You have to decondition yourself to everyone of these scenarios to overcome the disease
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000