TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Depression = TMS! I'm on to you! You're BUSTED!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  19:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been suffering from depression for the past couple of months. Granted, I did just go through a breakup, and I started therapy for anxiety issues that I've had for years. But I didn't understand where this depression came from. I even went so far as to see a psychiatrist and was prescribed medication...which I took for 2 days but then freaked out over the side effects and stopped.

Finally today it hit me, TMS!!!!! That sneaky bastard got me! It used my breakup as a trigger. Yes, I should be upset over a breakup, but not this overwhelming feeling of depression I've had. So I googled Sarno TMS Depression and what do I find? A post on this board, which led me to Sarno's section in The MindBody Prescription about depression & anxiety as a TMS equivalent.

Thank God for Sarno!!! I feel so much better now, knowing that I'm NOT going crazy, and that it's just damn TMS trying to fool me. Well, you're BUSTED, now go away!!!

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  22:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busted, great news on your revelation. I have been going thru a rough 2 months but I'm not sure what it is that I'm experiencing since I have never had anxiety nor depression. Can you tell me what the difference is between anxiety & depression in terms of how you feel?

I experience a tightness & then fluttering in the upper chest . Then I get really tired & don't want to do anything. I sometimes don't want to even talk to anyone. I want to lie down then I want to get up, then I want to lie down again. No appetite. Don't wanna go out but then feel better when I'm with other people.

Thx.

Mala

Honestly, I sometimes really get fed up with my subconscious. It's like it's got a mind of its own.

Alexei Sayle
Go to Top of Page

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  07:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am no expert, but what you have sounds like depression to me. From my understanding anxiety and depression are closely linked.
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  17:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Busted,

I'm going through a bit of post-anxiety (I'll call it) depression this week, myself. I only usually get small bursts of what I call "chemical" depression from time to time, but this feels more intense. I've been working on my own anxiety condition for almost 3 years. Most of the depression I experienced was after quitting a benzo I was on for a short time. There is a real WD syndrome related to benzos. But, at this point... I think for me it's mostly post-anxiety exhaustion, mixed with some tough life experience.

Still, for me it's odd because I'm upbeat and look at my future positively, as far as I am aware. So, my problem is with the FEAR of depression. That's what creates the issues for me.

There is some good info here on depression.... Balto has good takes as well as Hillbilly. Hopefully one or both of them will chime in here. You (we) will rise above this.

Be well.
Go to Top of Page

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  19:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bryan. I have been searching through the old posts about depression. To me Sarno's word is gold, so knowing that he believes depression & anxiety are TMS equivalents makes me feel a lot better. Unfortunately I haven't been able to overcome TMS on my own though...I did rid myself of back pain, but it just keeps coming back in other forms. Unfortunately my therapist does not know much about Sarno, and kind of rolls her eyes every time I mention him...but little does she know, she preaches the same thing he does. She has told me herself that all of my anxiety/OCD symptoms are just distractions from what is the root problem. She seems to practice mostly psychodynamic therapy, so whether she believes in Sarno or not, she is helping me get to the bottom of my issues. Which will hopefully eventually "cure" my TMS, along with all of the distractions it's causing. If only I could have one of those book cures so many people rave about :(
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  21:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,

I was feeling very depressed and also got the fluttering.
If I would eat, I'd get really bad fluttering. I guess it's the vegus nerve. It felt like my heart was skipping beats. I was also excruciatingly fatigued. I wasn't eating properly, only oat meal, an avocado and carrot juice. I was very deficient in vitamins and dehydrated. Once I started taking a multi vitamin and drinking a lot of water, my depression and fluttering went away.

I know you have been having tummy problems, are you getting enough nutrients? You might be deficient. I would get it checked out, if you haven't been eating properly due to a bad stomach.

Oh btw, I found out the other day when I went to the ER I had a yeast infection in my belly button and deep tissue. And when I eat it adds pressure to the infected area, that is why I hurt so bad. If it doesn't clear up with the ointment, I'll have to have surgery, gah.

Anyway, I really hope you get to feeling better soon. And Busted, so glad you are feeling better and realized it was TMS!

Taylor

Edited by - TaylorJoh on 09/05/2012 21:04:33
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  05:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh TJ, what a bummer. I hope that your infection clears up pray that you don't have to have surgery. Is the yeast becoz of Antibiotics or other meds that you mat have taking? Would taking probiotics help at all? Take care & keep me posted.

I am extremely tired to the point that last week I was in the shower & couldn't bring myself to put my hand out to pick up the shampoo bottle. I had read about other people getting depressed & fatigued but never imagined it would happen to me. Some days I just stay in bed & really have to make a real effort to get up & going.

I had bloodwork done in Bkk . The doc put me on customised vitamins . other stuff he has prescribed is 25 mg DHEA once a day, actenol (one a week calcium) & weekly doses of 50000 ICUs of vitamin D3.

I have been taking the vitamins for 10 days now but am still researching the other supplements. There are some side effects so I will get a second opinion here. The idea of taking such a high dose of vitamin d3 is worrying & I have read that dhea will stimulate an increase in both estrogen & testosterone . I don't want any more estrogen coz that wil just make my fibroids grow so I will proceed with caution & keep you updated.

Do take care. Hugs.

Mala

Honestly, I sometimes really get fed up with my subconscious. It's like it's got a mind of its own.

Alexei Sayle
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Busted,
1 - in my experience dealing with my own depression and working with others in my community, one of the most important step one can take is to realize that "it is OK to be depressed", it is normal to be depressed. It is nothing but a normal body respond to some prolong unpleasant thoughts and emotions. Don't fight it, don't fear it, don't think that there is any thing wrong with your body, don't think that you're going insane or you're being punish. Don't ask why me? don't search the net for a cure. Don't be like Tom Cruise and jump up and down on your sofa.

We are just flesh and blood with a brain. Our brain control our body with electrical pulses and chemicals. When an unpleasant emotion like anger, fear, or regret... appear in our mind, the brain just read all these as danger signals and rev up our body for a fight to get rid or to run away from those dangers. When we allowed those emotions to go on and on for a long time (and not enough positive emotions to neutralize or cancel out those negative emotions), our body is flooded with stress chemicals, our body will constantly tensed up for a battle, to the point that the body just want to shut down and give up, and that is when depression appear.

If you can accept that it is perfectly normal to have depression then you are half way there. By acceptance, you instruct your body to stop releasing more and more of those unwanted stress hormones. You tell your body the danger is gone, it is time to relax and rest. The fight is over, you don't need anymore of those stress hormones. Your muscles will start to relax.

It is OK to be sad. It is Ok to be tire and don't want to do anything. It is OK to feel this and that. Just keep a half smile on your face and go on with your life as if everything is normal. This is important, this is the way to tell your brain that Hey you. Everything is normal now, there is no need to fight anymore. We are winning, it is time to relax.

2 - Once you are able to relax a little and calm down a little, it is time to add more and more "positive" emotions back into your life. Go and enjoy those hobbies you use to enjoy, go for a walk in the sunlight and absorp all those wonderful vitamin D3, Call up some good friends and chat or go for a coffee. Drive down to the soup kitchen, to the homeless shelter and ask them if you can be of any help. Drive down the street and look at those people along the way, look at that street sweeper, look at those road repair workers, look at those street food vendors, look at the old lady walking and smiling in the park,... you can be just like them, your body is as strong and healthy just like theirs. You're just under the emotional "weather" for awhile and now you will be OK. If they can be happy, I can too.

3 - Now add some compassion to your life. We need to be compassionate to ourself and to people in our life. Dr Sarno believed anger and rage is the main emotion that brought tms. The Buddha taught that Anger, Hatred, and Greed are the 3 poisons in one's life. Jesus Christ taught us to: "Love thy neighbors like thy self". Many of the great teachers in human history all said we need to love and to be compassionate toward each others. It is not easy to do sometimes, but we have to try if we want to be healthy and at peace. Forgive yourself, forgive others, try to understand that those that made you angry, they are the way they are because they are just a product of their upbringing, their society, their culture,... Forgive them. And if you can't forgive them, then forget them. Get them out of your mind, shut them out completely, Don't give them the ability to wreck your mind, your peace, your health is important and they are not worth it.

I have never find anyone who fail to cure themself of depression if they can do all those I've wrote above. I hope this can be some help for you.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I've just read a new way to fight depression. I have no experience with this one at all. I don't think Dave would allow me to write about it here so here is the link you can go to to read about it. Let me know what you think when you're done.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2190863/Semen-good-womens-health-helps-fight-depression.html

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

drh7900

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TaylorJoh

Hi Mala,

I was feeling very depressed and also got the fluttering.
If I would eat, I'd get really bad fluttering. I guess it's the vegus nerve. It felt like my heart was skipping beats. I was also excruciatingly fatigued. I wasn't eating properly, only oat meal, an avocado and carrot juice. I was very deficient in vitamins and dehydrated. Once I started taking a multi vitamin and drinking a lot of water, my depression and fluttering went away.

I know you have been having tummy problems, are you getting enough nutrients? You might be deficient. I would get it checked out, if you haven't been eating properly due to a bad stomach.

Oh btw, I found out the other day when I went to the ER I had a yeast infection in my belly button and deep tissue. And when I eat it adds pressure to the infected area, that is why I hurt so bad. If it doesn't clear up with the ointment, I'll have to have surgery, gah.

Anyway, I really hope you get to feeling better soon. And Busted, so glad you are feeling better and realized it was TMS!

Taylor

Probiotics are supposed to help with the imbalance of yeast that causes yeast infections. I've actually heard of people physically applying yogurt to affected areas to help. Taking probiotic supplements, eating fermented foods (yogurt, kefir, genuine sauerkraut), and things like that can help restore the bacterial balance in your body. Having a healthy gut also promotes a healthy mind. Treat your mindbody right and treat it as a whole. Win-win.

As for the depression...I'm too familiar with the sensations. Been through it myself. Given the treatment I went through to get past certain memories and emotions, I'd say TMS is a good diagnosis for mine, too.

--
Dustin
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“The thought manifests the word;
The word manifests the deed;
The deed develops into habit;
And habit hardens into character;
So watch the thought and its ways with care,
And let them spring forth from love
Born out of compassion for all beings.
As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.”
¯ Juan Mascaro

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  17:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Balto! Not sure about that article though, is that for real?
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  18:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TJ how are you feeling now? Are you any better ?

Just thinking about your diet & whether you are getting enough nutrients. Have you ever tried miso soup? It is very light , is nutritional & good for the stomach. I like having it with some plain rice & a bit of white meat like chicken. It's easy to digest too.

Another thing I do is to get a piece of nice organic chicken and boil it with some celery,carrot & onion. When the meat is cooked I take it out and cut it into small pieces. I have the meat, stock/ soup with some plain rice. Again easy on the stomach & nutritional too.

Oh and maybe eat some yoghurt but without sugar if possible.

Take care

Mala

Alexei Sayle
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  20:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balto

Oh, and I've just read a new way to fight depression. I have no experience with this one at all. I don't think Dave would allow me to write about it here so here is the link you can go to to read about it. Let me know what you think when you're done.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2190863/Semen-good-womens-health-helps-fight-depression.html

------------------------

Thanks for sharing that article Balto, I've heard it's even healthier if it's organically produced.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/08/2012 20:55:53
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  20:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Busted

Thank you Balto! Not sure about that article though, is that for real?

I don't think it is true. Daily Mail, I think is some kind of tabloid magazine in the UK. I think people just read tabloid for fun and not to be taken serious.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2012 :  21:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found the actual report of the study that was done in 2000! Not as "recent" as the article is claiming (and you can find more articles claiming the same thing if you google). But it is legit.

http://www.beforeyoutakethatpill.com/2011/4/Gordon_2002.pdf

Edited by - Busted on 09/08/2012 21:44:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000