TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 very anxious over a "real" medical issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  09:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So for years now I have had some nodules on my thyroid. When they were found, a biopsy showed "inconclusive" for cancer. Every year I go to an endocrinologist and get an ultrasound to see if the nodules have changed. They don't just remove your thyroid if you have inconclusive results because that is a big deal and thyroid cancer is very slow growing. Anyway, I went yesterday for my annual check up and they noticed the biggest nodule has changed. So they want to do another biopsy because it could mean it is cancer.

I am having a very hard time with this. And now I am feeling guilty for perhaps bringing this on myself by my own worries. I have to wait 3 weeks for the biopsy. That is a very long time to wait. Then it's 2-5 days after the biopsy till I get the results. I haven't been able to eat or sleep since finding this out. I don't know what to do.

How do you apply TMS healing to something like this?

They have told me that if it is cancer, it is very treatable and usually all they have to do is remove the thyroid. Then you take hormone replacements the rest of your life :(

I don't know... I am going crazy over this in my mind.

Edited by - jennypeanut on 09/26/2012 09:02:49

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  10:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would get some second opinions from other docs to see if all this imaging is really necessary. It could be a racket like the urologists are doing with PSA tests. The PSA rating system has now been declared invalid by the doctor who invented the test.

Thyroids might be different but I would study up on the topic and see if there are differing opinions on it. ACE1, who contributes here is an oncologist, maybe he can help out?

g'luck

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  11:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jennypeanut,

I agree with Tom, study up on the topic. I just Goodled “Thyroid Nodule Scam” and got loads of hits. Here is one of them:
http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ThyroidCancer/DetailedGuide/thyroid-cancer-diagnosis.

The idea of studying would be to get familiar with the subject, and not as a diagnosis. Another person who has been through this may help with your worries, in addition to the MD.

I just found out from Tom for example that PSA testing is also considered a scam, I used Google. Isn’t it strange that AFLAC, a Fortune 500 company pays me $75 each year for having this test on my Cancer policy? Thanks Tom, I guess the finger test is here to stay!

PSA a scam, for Reference.

http://naturalhealthdossier.com/2011/02/psa-screenings-a-money-making-scam/

http://www.escapetheillusion.com/blog/2010/03/the-great-mistake-prostate-psa-test-scam/

Jennypeanut,
Try not to worry, make yourself tired and relaxed by the jogging you so like.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 12
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  11:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if it were me I would use affirmations to calm myself, saying to myself my thyroid is normal over and over, work also on affirmations for relaxation all day. I would know that the worying makes it worse, so I have to accept what it is for now. anything that you push away comes to you stronger due to tension, so you have to accept it fully for now. I would not wait for anything, but live in the now.
Go to Top of Page

Goodney

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  13:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jennypeanut:
I go through the same process. I have one rather large and one rather small nodule on my thyroid. They have been biopsied and the results were inconclusive. I too must undergo ultrasounds every year. As time goes by, the appearance of the nodules may change, but that in and of itself means nothing. I have a friend who went through this same situation for many years. Even in the absolute worst case scenario, the thyroid is simply removed and you take medication. Thyroid cancer when detected early is almost always completely cured by removal of the thyroid gland; it is one of the most curable of cancers. Not to worry.
Go to Top of Page

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  14:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would get some second opinions from other docs to see if all this imaging is really necessary. It could be a racket like the urologists are doing with PSA tests.

TT: Originally when these were found (by accident) an ENT wanted to perform surgery and remove half of my thyroid because the biopsy was inconclusive. That's when I got a second opinion with an Endo who looked at the tests and said NO! to surgery. That Endo retired and my new Endo agrees with the old one. So I feel like I have gotten second and now third opinions on this. This Endo actually suggested 3 routes since there has been some change: wait 4 months and get another ultrasound, get a biopsy, get the thyroid removed. She did not recommend the third option but she mentioned it because some people just ask to go ahead and remove it, which is astounding to me that people are willing to literally have parts of their body taken out because of the uncertain possibility of cancer.

Andy: I can't "research" on the internet. I would be breaking one of my healing tools. But thanks anyway. One of my problems is browsing the web for medical advice - it has added fuel to the fire in terms of fear.

Ace: great advice! What is a good relaxing affirmation you would suggest?

Goodney: Have you had changes in your nodules? I know that about Thyroid cancer but when you have anxiety your mind goes to the worst case in .01 seconds flat.
Go to Top of Page

Birdie78

Germany
145 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  15:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jenny,
i've these thyroid nodules, too. One very big (makes problems when I gulp) and a smaller one (it's new). I decided not to have surgery. Two medicines told me I should have because I am too young and another told me he wouldn't. I actually take a small amount of thyroid hormones to get the TSH down. I was told that the nodules probably won't grow with a low TSH-level between 0,5 and 0,8. But three medicines, three different opinions.
At the beginning I worried about that diagnosis, too. But now I am so happy about refusing surgery that I don't worry about the nodules any longer. I know people having nodules since 30 years and they didn't develop cancer!

Kind regards from Germay sends Birdie
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  15:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read my success story to se how and what affirmations I used
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jenny peanut,

I understand exactly what you mean

Good luck

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  05:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jenny, Don't fight your feeling, don't fight your fear. It is absolutely normal to feel fear when something like this happened to us. It would be very abnormal if you don't fear it. Just be an observer. Just accept your fear, let it happen, focus on solution to your health problem, not the fear, the worry.

Let use a little Dale Carnigie here:

1- what is the problem?
I may get cancer.

2- What is the worst that could happen?
It is cancer for real.

3- What can I do about it?
I will be calm, I will educate myself about this disease, I will get expert help. My chance will be good. I will live life to the fullest because I know being happy and relax and content will help with my immune system and make me stronger.
Then focus on the solution, on being happy, instead of the emotion.

Ace1 here is an cancer MD and he once said cancer is an extreme form of tms symptoms. I just lost a niece to cancer and I have read and learn much about the connection between our emotion and cancer, and I truly believe it is caused by our turbulence stressed mind.

Read more about our discussion on cancer & mindbody here:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7668

Meditation may help cure cancer:
http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionateeyeshowcase/2010/immortal/

Whatever you have, meditation can only help or cure, read more here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1697747/

Remember that one hit wonder, "Don't Worry, Be Happy"?

Goodluck Jenny.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  06:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another scientific look at the benefit of meditation:
http://downloads.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2006/272973.pdf

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  07:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy64tms

Hi Jennypeanut,

...I just Goodled “Thyroid Nodule Scam” and got loads of hits. Here is one of them:
http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ThyroidCancer/DetailedGuide/thyroid-cancer-diagnosis.

I just found out from Tom for example that PSA testing is also considered a scam, I used Google. Isn’t it strange that AFLAC, a Fortune 500 company pays me $75 each year for having this test on my Cancer policy? Thanks Tom, I guess the finger test is here to stay!

PSA a scam, for Reference.

http://naturalhealthdossier.com/2011/02/psa-screenings-a-money-making-scam/

http://www.escapetheillusion.com/blog/2010/03/the-great-mistake-prostate-psa-test-scam/

Glad I could be of help Andy. BTW, the link for the thyroid nodule scam didn't work for me, you may want to check it. If it gives a fair and balanced view of thyroid cancer I think JennyPeanut should break her rule of not googling this time and she should also find a new endo who is not surgery happy. Maybe she can contact her retired endo for a referral to one, the good docs know who the other good docs are and they are the ones they go to and send their friends and family to. When you get better at TMS'ing you can read the internet for research and you can separate the wheat from the chaff as it were from what sounds reasonable from what is quack science. Ultimately we are all responsible for our own health unless you're unconscious at the ER, then it's luck of the draw.

I sent those two articles to my brother who was obsessed with his prostrate for several years and was seeing a urologist way too often. He had several very painful biopsies and was being PSA'ed constantl-- ka-ching, ka-ching. He said he was doing it so his children wouldn't be orphaned. Not surprisingly he was going through divorce after years of marital dis-bliss. Now that he's over it, so's his prostrate OCD.

This is like a gold-mine for the uro-docs who's offices are full of middle-aged men being PSA'ed annually or more using a test that it's own inventor now disavows as well as the rest of the scientific community, but still administer because they haven't come up with a new rationalization to keep the the seats in their multiple office location waiting rooms full. I went to a uro this past year because I couldn't get my rx for Flomax refilled for occasional TMS/urinary urgency without seeing one. Hopefully I'm good for a few years before needing my refills OK'ed. I don't use the Flomax frequently and my bro has a big stash now he's laid on me.

Cheers and keep that finger to yourself Andy or maybe your wife .

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/27/2012 07:13:00
Go to Top of Page

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  08:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Balto: I was waiting for your response It's always helpful. I love that song "Don't worry be Happy". My daughter and I sing it all the time. It makes me feel better every time because it's so silly, yet so true. Thanks for spelling out the 'worst that could happen'. I'm really trying to focus my mind on the here and now, like Ace said. As far as the Dr. is concerned, it is a much higher chance that I am fine - it's that small chance they worry about, which is why I am getting the biopsy to see if it's for sure okay. So while those fears do come I will chose to try and accept them, like you said. I'm also focusing on today. There is an old hymn that says "Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" - I like that. I am also doing affirmations like Ace suggested. I feel weird doing it. Also, to be going through something scary and be able to find joy and peace is kind of a huge feat. I have moments of joy and peace and moments of feeling scared, but I'm glad I'm not totally scared out of my mind.

Just to be clear to everyone - the biopsy is NOT a surgery. They use a needle to draw out some of the tissue within the nodule since it is right up against the skin. I've had 2 biopsies in the past. Its no fun to have a giant needle in your neck, but it's over in a couple of seconds.

A surgery would be done if the biopsy showed malignancy. So, I don't know if that changes y'alls opinions on the subject, but if you found out you had cancer, wouldn't you want it out? I guess that's a loaded question for the TMS forum.

Also if you don't know, Thyroid cancer is extremely slow growing and treatable. The first 2 biopsies were inconclusive as to weather this thing(s) is cancerous, yet the Dr.s have opted to NOT do surgery and just watch it over time. So for 7 years they have been watching these things for any changes. I feel that if they were surgery happy, they would have removed it like the first ENT dr. I saw was. I know a girl who had hers removed because of the same inconclusive results and the pathology report showed NO cancer. She now has a lifetime of meds and a big scar because of a surgery pushing ENT. ENTs are surgeons (go figure). Endocrinologists are not surgeons, and these are the doctors who have wanted to leave my thyroid alone and just monitor it. And they feel comfortable doing this because of the fact that thyroid cancer is so treatable.

Birdie: Sounds like yours might be different than mine - I don't have any altered hormone levels - and no symptoms. I can't even feel the biggest nodule even though it's diameter is a half inch. Or maybe it's been there so long I don't notice when I swallow or gulp. The thing that makes this extra tough is that I know 2 girls my age (35) who have had the same thing and they ended up having cancer. So, I guess that scares me because it seems more possible even though the statistics show it as rare.

Tennis Tom: you really think it's worth breaking my no google rule? If so, post a correct link.

Edited by - jennypeanut on 09/27/2012 08:22:13
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  08:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jennypeanut

Tennis Tom: you really think it's worth breaking my no google rule? If so, post a correct link.

The link was not mine, it was Andy's, if he reads this I'm sure he will look into it. If the article helps educate you and lessens your "anxiousness" then it's worth it for you. Your thyroid situation sounds almost identical to the "prostrate scam" articles, where men live with prostrate cancer without having surgery. Since I'm assuming Jenny, that you're not a man, you could read those articles without worrying about prostrate cancer. The trouble with googling symptoms is that "little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" issue. I've found that now that I'm armed with TMS KNOWLEDGE, I can more safely wade the minefields of the internet and separate the "lies" I want to believe from the quack science and snake oils.

G'luck
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  12:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Jennypeanut,

Sorry the link didn’t work. I used Google and typed in the search “Thyroid nodule scam”.
Here is the correct link that will give you a huge selection of sites:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=thyroid+nodule+scam&oq=thyroid+nodule+scam&gs_l=hp.3...3641.10859.0.11125.19.12.0.7.7.0.610.2875.0j8j1j1j1j1.12.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.UniwhKgb9f0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=5e84ca662feab5b3&biw=1873&bih=1025

I use Google for educational purposes, and usually pick a reputable link. For instance Web MD or Mayo Clinic. The main one I use is Wikipedia for definitions and spelling.

For instance when reading SteveO’s book I came across the word “meme”. Although I knew the word I did not understand its meaning.

Look it up and make sure you are not “memed” by all the information you read. I agree with Tom and Balto that using the web is OK for education, but be discerning and questioning.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 09/27/2012 12:07:11
Go to Top of Page

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  14:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I broke my rule... And now I feel worse. What I read makes me truly scared. I always go to the worst case and I have done it again. I found nothing about a scam.

Now I'm back in fear mode.
Go to Top of Page

Birdie78

Germany
145 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  14:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like yours might be different than mine - I don't have any altered hormone levels

Jenny, I don't have, too! My THS-level was normal (perhaps a very light form of hypfunction but depends on the lab-parameters) but now it's what my medicine called "low-normal" to avoid further growing. I am very young for this condition, too (34).
My nodule is near the larynge, that's why I sometimes have problems.

When I was informed about the diagnosis I also googled what was not a very wise decicion.

I visited an thyroid expert to ask him if I should undergo surgery. He said he wouldn't and if he could make a choice of which cancer he'd choose if he must he would choose thyroid cancer. Very macabre but it really calmed me down! I'll see this expert in december again for an ultrasound control.

Do you know your thyroid values (TSH, ft3+4)? The lower the values the better to avoid further growing. TSH-value between 0,5 and 1,0 is to be considered as "perfect" if you have cold nodules and don't want them to grow.

My nodules have changed, too (what meant fortunately nothing bad!) and one of the two is into remission. Perhaps that would calm you down a bit!

Of course sometimes I think "what if I was false by not undergoing surgery and it's cancer?" But the most time I don't watch much thought on.

Kind regards from Germay sends Birdie

Edited by - Birdie78 on 09/27/2012 15:01:17
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  15:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jennypeanut,

I am sorry if we confused you, and that you feel worse. As I mentioned you should be discerning. There were probably very few items about “scams”, but you can make your search out of any words you need.

Information and Dr Sarno’s “knowledge” can help disperse fear, or as in your case make it worse. I remember how I faced up to my surgeries the fears, and know how you must feel. Of course we need knowledge to make decisions about our surgeries. For your issue I would forget looking at web sites and even this forum and rely on your MD.

Wishing you well

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  21:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say the biopsy came back and it is negative. It has been such a relief.

However, the anxiety over health issues has continued, and TMS has picked back up full force. 2 days ago I was completely miserable for several days with stomach pain. Never had that one. It went away today. And now I have a swollen knee for no reason. Took a trip to the Dr. Just told me to ice/heat and advil. Am having real trouble with all this. It's like I believe I have TMS, but I doubt it too.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  23:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the emotional issues going on concurrently?

If you don't know review the Holmes/Rahe list below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Edited by - tennis tom on 10/12/2012 23:05:17
Go to Top of Page

jennypeanut

103 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  13:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom - well I scored less than 150 - so... I dunno. But I will tell you I fall into Sarno's 5% of people with severely traumatic childhoods...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000