TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Great Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  12:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its old, I got it from Library. Its called Irritable Bowel Syndrome and the MindbodysSpirit Connection. Dont let the title fool you, it is not just about irritable bowel, it explains a lot of the science in easy to understand language about why emotions cause chronic pain. If any of you are just starting out this, check out this book it has helped me understand a lot!

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  18:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I am reading Unlearn your pain by Howard Schubiner MD, Michael Betzold and I have to say I LOVE it, even better then the one above..
Go to Top of Page

alangordon

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure to read the second edition of Unlearn Your Pain, it incorporates invaluable ISTDP techniques that the first edition doesn't have.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  10:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alangordon

Make sure to read the second edition of Unlearn Your Pain, it incorporates invaluable ISTDP techniques that the first edition doesn't have.

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the board, the TMS world is a small one isn't it. Maybe the KNOWLEDGE will grow or maybe it's the nature of the beast or the gremlin for it to stay under the radar. Did you know Dr. Donald Dubin? I did some sessions with him in person and by phone after seeing Dr. Schechter at his BH office. He was a dear man and unfortunately departed. I regret we never had the chance to play tennis at his Mulholland Club.

Alan, just curious if you do phone sessions?

Cheers,
tt
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  11:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan,
What are some examples of the techniques of the short term dynamic psychotherapy mentioned in the book? Would like to see what this is all about.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  18:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan, Welcome

Thanks for pointing out the second edition difference of Unlearn Your Pain. I have both of them. The second edition copy 2012 has the ISTDP on page 73, and deals with anger guilt and grief etc.

Ace1, it outlines some interviews in question and answer style from Dr. Schubiner with some of his patients. The idea is to bring subconscious bad memories to the surface to be recognized and accepted by the patient. I don’t know much about analysis, but it looks like “therapy speeded up and much to the point”.

Ace1, if you need more information Dr. Schubiner referenced two of his sources as follows:

Book titled: “Lives Transformed” (2006) by David Malan and Patricia Coughlin Della Selva.

Book titled: Reaching through Resistance by Dr.Abbass.

The reason why I have two copies is that I failed to give one to a much needed friend who is at the point of being rejected by his doctors after 20 years. I gave it to his wife who is also in dire need. Unfortunately they were not open to TMS, so I’m now glad they gave it back.

Regarding “Unlearn Your Pain”. The book is wonderful, but I could not even start the exercises. I realized later it was my perfectionism didn’t allow me to deface those blank pages in scribble fashion. As a former draughtsman my style is slow, exact and accurate. At that time I also too felt shameful to expose my feelings to print. This admission shows I am getting better!

mchan, In February when I returned to TMS Dr. Schubiner’s four lecture videos on his web site were extremely helpful.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  20:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read almost all the TMS books out there. After awhile they all say the same thing.....
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  23:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn, have you read SteveO's?
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  05:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

I have read almost all the TMS books out there. After awhile they all say the same thing.....

I agreed. They may have different covers, different length. One maybe longer than others, one maybe more colorful than the others... but they all say the same thing in the end.

mindbody symptoms caused by negative thoughts and emotions. Get rid of your negative thoughts and emotions, focus on the positive and you will get well.

I often heard people said this book is great, that book is wonderful, it makes lots of sense.... then he/she still have symptoms years later. Most people just read but didn't apply what they have learned from those books. Most people are good readers, good commenters, but are terrible students. They will try one or two techniques then quit before they can see the result. People rushed through life and got tms/anxiety. Then they rushed through their treatment, expecting instant relief...

The biggest mistake I saw most tmser's did is not giving the treatment enough time to work. Their "rush" mentality is killing them.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  08:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks so much andy, i was just wondering what that was, It seems kind of like the psychotherapy section on the divided mind. I had the old version of the book which really didnt help me too much

I do agree w/ what balto and shawn are saying. it is now about applying the positivity and removing the negativity and enduring symptoms for a time. Its also very improtant to decondition yourself to situations that you have countlessly hyped yourself up to over the years (through mind power). Do everything with ease and no intensity
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  13:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ace1,
You are welcome I’m glad it helped.

As I read Dr. Schubiner' first Interview about an abusive father it reminded me about my relationship I had with mine. I went back and read an early post from shawnsmith titled “Appreciating a parent’s love”. I am glad for him, but I could not relate to it, very sad.

This summer I have tried to close my issues with my past family. With both my parents now deceased, and the subsequent thievery and squabbling about the family assets over, I have felt much better. So I haven’t discussed this topic at all since May and stopped journaling about it. It’s not over of course, I don’t have current stress, but deep down I still have lots of hate to deal with.

I was first introduced to the theory of forgiveness in Dr. Schubiner’s book, and immediately rejected it. It didn’t apply to me! Two weeks later on the health channel the topic came up again with basically the same arguments. Finally I read in the last chapters of SteveO’s book the same mantra with a twist! I think I had to hear this message from different sources. I don’t yet know how to forgive, but I do now realize it is very necessary.

Since May I’ve read all three books on my signature, and they have helped very much. The reading is easy and even enjoyable (thank you Steve), applying the knowledge is the hard part. Thanks for reading..

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

alangordon

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  17:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom,
I do conduct phone and skype sessions, but don't have any availability at the moment. There's a great psychotherapist I work closely with named Derek Sapico who does phone/skype sessions as well. He can be reached at dereksapico@yahoo.com.

Ace, the primary purpose of ISTDP is to aggressively target the defense mechanisms in order to elicit difficult-to-tolerate unconscious feelings (often rage).

I do periodic teleconferences on the TMS wiki (essentially a string of mini-sessions for TMS sufferers) and the first session on the following link is what an ISTDP session essentially looks like.

http://tmswiki.org/dl/GordonWebinar120721.mp3

Hope that helps,
Alan
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  22:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alan
Cheers,
tt
Go to Top of Page

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  10:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Unlearn your Pain much more knowledgeable than I did reading Mindbody prescription. This was a helpful book to lead me into the mind body world but Unlearn your Pain gave me a lot more ahha moments and related to me more so than the other book. Perhaps it is because I do not have much back pain, but my symptoms are mentioned in Unlearn Your Pain as well. I am looking forward to reading SteveO's book soon when it arrives.

Edited by - mchan on 10/11/2012 10:51:00
Go to Top of Page

timmbell

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  12:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of symptoms do they cover in unlearn your pain?
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  14:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alan
Go to Top of Page

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  10:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He talks specifically a little about my bladder syndrome, and it was nice to have it there in black in white. I also found his explanation of mind body easier to understand than some of the other books. I love the section he included on diagnosing mind body as well, it helped me make clear connections between what emotions caused what symptom. He also includes a free CD in the back of the book that includes 4 different meditations. This is in the 2nd edition, I am not sure about the first.

Edited by - mchan on 10/12/2012 10:05:37
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  11:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Shawn, have you read SteveO's?

Hi Tom,

Yes I read it. It was probably the best one to date.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  11:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balto

quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

Most people are good readers, good commenters, but are terrible students.

Yeah, that seems to be me.
Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  03:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here's another one! 'Now I Can Bend My Back!' by Nick Sinfield. I haven't checked out the book yet, but this article seems to suggest a 'diluted Sarno' approach, with a bit of physiotherapy thrown in, and a new term 'TRP' - Tension Related Pain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2218216/Back-pain--mind-A-provocative-new-book-suggest-physical-problems-cause-backache--emotional-tension.html

I think anything that gets the message out is good, Sarno isn't huge in the UK; but am struck again, in the comments, by the anger and defensiveness of the 'MY pain is REAL!' camp. Also the widespread placebo of 'Well, an osteopath/acupuncture/magnets sorted out my back pain, I just go back every month to top up the treatments'...

But then, maybe that's what those of us who buy lots of TMS books are doing!
Go to Top of Page

mchan

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  09:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm...I have read or bought 4 TMS book and listened to a coach in one month now, I am wondering if I am chronically reading/listening to avoid. Oh well, I need to get back to reading now:)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000