TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Dr. Schubiner did a Fibro study N.I.H.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jegol71

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  19:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Balto:

ISTDP= Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy.

It's experiential therapy, which means that you don't go in and talk about your feelings. You may start out doing it, but the therapist is keenly trained to observe defensive patterns that suggest a feeling is not being felt. They let you know about this, and call your awareness to it. Making you aware of yourself in a new way. "If you teach a man to fish..."

The traditional psychoanalysis average is over a decade in session, which to me suggests not that the therapy really works beyond masturbation or trickles of intrigue, but that by the end of it, some things have happened that have made you a new person.

ISTDP averages from a few months to a few years. In my first session, after being TOLD by previous shrinks that I was essentially impervious to talk therapy, I found a great therapist in Los Angeles, and after discovering my issues of self-destructive behavior with him, COMPLETELY CHANGED THE COURSE OF MY LIFE AND MOVED BACK TO FLORIDA. This was a big deal, because I am a screenwriter, and basically needed to be in LA, according to the coffee shop wisdom.

What does it say about the integrity of a therapist who tells you to move somewhere to improve your health, guaranteeing that he won't make money off of you anymore?

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can offer anymore.

Oh yeah, they also videotape you in session, and you get to see YOUR body's movements in response to feeling feelings, like watching a replay from the bleachers of what you do when in anger.

Edited by - jegol71 on 02/08/2013 19:26:48
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  19:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jegol.
So it will help you identify and feel the feelings that you didn't know you have? What happen after you identify those feeling. What happen after you feel the feelings? Let them go or just feel them, experience them? And how will that help? Please explain more. Thanks.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

jegol71

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  20:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--So it will help you identify and feel the feelings that you didn't know you have?

You may know you have certain feelings because you were told you had them, or thought you had them, but if you repress out of necessity to function in society, or if you grew up being afraid or angry, and were told that was immature, you can develop repressed emotions that become neurotic symptoms, also known as resistances.

So the therapist, for example, notices you shake your head really fast and smile inappropriately. They will call your attention to that,and it that point you can focus on feeling what caused you to do that in the first place, which MOST PEOPLE NEVER DO. At that moment, for me at least, I felt a panic throughout my body, like I was on a rollercoaster drop that never ended. And other times I would express the anger, say who I was angry at, and since my tendency is to self-punish, I would even start hitting myself suddenly.

Those are examples of things I never knew I had in me.

--What happen after you identify those feeling.

You can say "Oh! Now I know how DEEP my anger and fear run inside my body." And then you relax, because when you have those feelings in the future, you understand them in this framework, and can feel them better.

And how will that help?

It helps because it allows you to accept the narrative of "I HAVE ANGER, I HAVE PAIN." And then it can become an affirmation that you understand. And if you know you have anger, if you've felt it, it doesn't have the impact it did when it was unknown. It's been exposed.

If you heard a bad noise coming from your air conditioner, and ignored it, and the sound got worse and worse, it would be stressful. But then you examine the air conditioner, and see that maybe it can't be fixed, but that the sound comes from a misaligned fan. So the noise no longer scares you. Just like the sensations of anger don't have to anymore.

This was all put into context for me when I realized that I had a self-victimizing story that I kept telling myself, about why I couldn't change things. When I shifted from a passive to active participant in my life, AKA moving to Florida and handling things I needed to handle, I realized that the victimization was just one more self-destructive habit used to repress the anger.

I know that's true for me, because no healthy person wants to maintain themselves as a victim. Studies show and evolution favors active participation in our lives. Doing things to improve ourselves. We want resolutions to our stories. That's why the severe chronic pain victimization is pretty much a 1:1 correlation with repressed rage, and why the symptoms are the worst, just like mine were.

I hope this is clear, but then again, if it was, I'd have been done with therapy long ago, and now tilling land somewhere high up.

Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  20:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very clear Jegol, thank you.
Now tmser's can have another tools to help them heal. I sound to me like a kind of talk Journalling. Instead of writting it down, we now just talk it out and have a coach sitting close by and steer us in the right direction.

Thanks again,

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
Go to Top of Page

jegol71

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  20:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balto

very clear Jegol, thank you.
Now tmser's can have another tools to help them heal. I sound to me like a kind of talk Journalling. Instead of writting it down, we now just talk it out and have a coach sitting close by and steer us in the right direction.

I would say you're absolutely right, if we were able to have the page we write on tell us what was worth writing and what was worth balling up.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  21:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi jegol71,

Was the ISTDP therapist in Los Angeles Alan Gordon? He has posted here on this forum as alangordon; I did not know ISTDP was considered experimental.

For those who want to hear a session.

http://tmswiki.org/dl/GordonWebinar120721.mp3

This took place on the Wiki forum, and was introduced by Forrest.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Stopped Wiki Edu Program in lieu of own journalling
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

jegol71

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  22:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

Wow: it's still hard for me to type my Dad's name, let alone say it. It'll be 3 years in August since he passed.

No, my therapist wasn't Alan Gordon. I too didn't know it was experimental; I'm glad I was experimented upon!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000