TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Healing Through Movies: Cinema Therapy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jegol71

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  20:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We dream and recollect through personal movies directed by the mind's eye. It is the only medium that can project a superposition of human life to any person.

I write films, and stumbled upon a website for a therapist who treats clients by having them watch movies that relate to their struggles.

Or, as I call it, THE DREAM JOB. The movies are indexed according to specific issues, from dealing with mental disorders to incest to anxiety. You can click on a topic that is important to you, and see which films explore it. Not necessarily TMS-related, but I know that people will benefit from this.

Movies aren't just Hollywood legerdemain to turn a profit, like the schlocky Transformers films of late. They are a collective measure of soft science, art and psychology divining to tell the perfect story, the one that you take on. Movies are generally 2-2.5 hours because that represents the maximum convergence of attention span and narrative meaning that can be achieved holographically in front of a screen. Studying screenwriting has given me a better context to explain the transformative power of John Sarno's work to myself.

If you are dealing with any issues, I recommend this website and a good popcorn box.

http://cinematherapy.com/filmindex.html

One that I would recommend to defer to the complexity of the human panorama and surviving its mystery would be
Abbas Kiarostami's "CLOSE UP," an Iranian film from 1990 about a sick, impoverished man who impersonates a famous director to a wealthy family, who are then cast by this director to recreate the events in retrospect, providing a fake real catharsis. Human life is like that, particularly as we heal or think we have.

Edited by - jegol71 on 02/08/2013 20:40:12

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  03:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Day!
Huge movie buff here. I never, ever watch tele but view the whole or part of a film almost every night. Colour me grateful for the link. Shall explore.
Go to Top of Page

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  04:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure watching comedies and feel good movies is a far better pastime than watching the constant 24 hour rolling news programmes that just seem intent on drip feeding a steady flow of paranoia and fear into us.

Wake me up with your amphetamine blast
Take me by the collar and throw me out into the world
Rock me gently & send me dreaming of something tender
I was brought here to pay homage to the beat surrender

Go to Top of Page

Cath

116 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  05:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this - also a big movie fan. Interesting theory - I would watch a movie every evening if I could, but Saturday night has always been movie night for us. It does help to sit back, relax and become engrossed. Sometimes, I can nearly forget I have a problem.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  05:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to watch "Kill Bill" last night. A great movie for those with anger issues.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000