TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Final Ace of the Day - Day 27
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  03:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
27. This has to be undertaken as a major project for it to work, with consistent all day practice. Also the time needed for recovery must be given no matter how long it takes.

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  05:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I think this would be a good place to list some of the major pitfalls or errors people fall into when doing this work. You placed a couple of them here: http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8175
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  06:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mailed Ace1 yesterday asking if he'd like to do something fancy to wrap-and-pack the last day but thus far he's treating me mean.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  06:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, common mistakes like said before not using the affirmations and not giving it enough time. Another one is not recognizing that you have an urge to be doing something else or rush. It is very helpful to see this to change it. One more is letting the pain condition or sensitize you more to a situation. Challenging (fighting) a symptom is also a big mistake.

The best summary is that you have basically conditioned yourself to be sensitized to various situations, thoughts and to certain people by repeatedly straining to them (acting intense, outside of what your body is capable of doing). You might be sensitized to everything. You also have now formed habits of strain that perpetuate the sensitization that are with you all day. The biggest most universal one in TMS is the habit of the urge to rush or impatience (to be faster than you can be). To sit through life especially if you have pain and don't run away, but now act at ease. Use affirmations to help you achieve this state. Use the affirmations through your day. The affirmations also help to change some bad beliefs about yourself. Do not use the affirmations in a rushed, intense way as this will defeat their purpose. They are tools to help you achieve your goal of relaxation. Any tool in life can be used in the wrong way. Sometimes just sitting still is helpful, sit and just let go as if there were no worries. All this will not get rid of you pain right away, but in essence you are reconditioning yourself, you are doing the opposite to what lead you into pain. You are not letting the pain sensitize you too. If you strain more(become more hyped up or become more intense) because of the pain in a particular situation that causes pain, of course that will make you more conditionred to that situation next time.

Edited by - Ace1 on 02/17/2013 07:09:45
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  06:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi plum, never got your mail. My email filter must block most from this site. Anyways I just did what you wanted me to do.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  07:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace1: POW - ER - FUL words !!! You know, sometimes just even a slight change of wording here or there can strike me in a different way at a different time and I *especially* like these this morning (emphasis added):

* You might be sensitized to everything.
* Challenging (fighting) a symptom is also a big mistake.
* The biggest most universal one in TMS is the habit of the urge to rush or impatience (to be faster than you can be.)
* Do not use the affirmations in a rushed, intense way as this will defeat their PURPOSE. They are tools to help you achieve your goal of relaxation
* Any tool in life can be used in the wrong way.
* sometimes just sitting still is helpful, sit and just let go as if there were no worries.
* ... and don't run away, but now act as ease.

THANK YOU ! Maybe it would even be helpful to do an "Ace of the Day - Common Mistakes" "day-by-day unthreading" as Plum so eloquently described this series!

RSR
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  07:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to chime in here and make one other point which may be relevant. I think that repeating to ourselves NEGATIVE affirmations --- whether silently or out loud -- when doing this work is counter-productive and will impede progress. What I mean by this is such statements as "This is going to be difficult," or "I am not making any progress," or "This is not going to work for me," etc. You kind of touched on this in key 11 where you state: "Eliminate all negative talk and stop yourself from going down a negative line of thinking."

See also this posting: http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8187

I want to keep this discussion going on a daily basis. So let's start with number 1 again tomorrow.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/17/2013 07:34:49
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  07:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that's a good one Shawn. I'm glad it was helpful rsr.
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  07:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How shall we play this then kids?
Shawn, chase me for the baton?

RSR - love your name by the way - shall we unravel?
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  07:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

Hi plum, never got your mail. My email filter must block most from this site. Anyways I just did what you wanted me to do.

That you did. Thanks Tiger.
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  08:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plum

How shall we play this then kids?
Shawn, chase me for the baton?

RSR - love your name by the way - shall we unravel?

Just move the affirmations to the top of the message board each day and, based on your observations or feelings, make a comment.

Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  11:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
plum and Ace, I really appreciated your keys of the day.
It made me realize how much strain I add to my life unnecessarily. It seems that I always needed to inject a little bit of drama.
I think it is really important even for people that have healed. Monte has mentioned repeatedly that people that have quick cures do relapse. The relapse according to Monte is because of the day to day strain that is not addressed (and not some terrible past trauma).
Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  12:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn. Right you are.
Tomorrow we'll roll back to day one.

Alix, love the stroke but really hats off to Ace1 for elucidating these healing measures so well. As for drama, I rather have a taste for it myself. Mercifully, possessing first-class taste, it is rare that someone (something) fires my blood. Not sure I ever wish to rid myself of that particular delerium but your point is fine. Why cause a fuss and get yourself in a froth over irrelevance.
Go to Top of Page

chickenbone

Panama
398 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  14:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IŽd like to suggest that we do the AceŽs Keys exercise again, but this time, spend about one week on each key. We could shorten the interval between keys if we find that postings are dropping off. I found that one day per key was not enough to really think it through and organize my thoughts to post something. I actually missed several because some days my internet connection is not working well or I am just to busy. This way, we could also capture more new people. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there just was not enough time between keys.

Go to Top of Page

plum

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  14:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're not wrong. It felt like a gallop for me too. Infinitely better to savour these things and really get the message, and besides which isn't cracking through them a source of strain in itself?
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  14:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of one key per day. We can go in 27 day cycles.

Tomorrow, I will post Chapter 2 of "Mind Power in the 21st century". by John Kehoe. Note that Ace basis his keys to healing directly on this book.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/17/2013 14:35:07
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  08:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some other details I wanted to add to this thread regarding this one of Ace's "common mistakes":
quote:
"Any tool in life can be used in the wrong way."

Oftentimes, in many courses, workshops, etc, I've taken, we are given an ACTIVITY but not the actual OBJECTIVE. In this case, the activity /TOOL recommended is the affirmation, however Ace1 has also pointed out the real objective / goal / FUNCTIONS of this particular tool are threefold:

quote:

Affirmations have three functions in which they help:

• 1. Help you recognize your strain better.

• 2. Decrease the frequency of the strain.

• 3. Help you be able to reverse the effects strain that has already occured easier.

They are tools to help you achieve your goal of relaxation

So if the affirmations I'm using are not helping in these respects, then I am probably going in the wrong direction. I am particularly thinking about #3 for myself, as I am so often strained and am not so sure how effective I'm being in "reversing the effects of the strain." Back to the drawing board!

RSR

Edited by - RageSootheRatio on 02/19/2013 08:26:39
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  08:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, my affirmations -- which are five in number and simple -- are direct responces to how I see myself and my situation in life. My old way of thinking has been so habitual that I did not even notice it over time. In essence, it became part of who I was and how I saw myself as well as those around me. This thinking, in turn, generated a lot of tension and strain in my life and kept me stuck in so many areas. There was, as a result, a lack of peace or restfulness in myself and I was totally on edge and continually put myself down as well as lashed out at others. This is not a good place to be emotionally or spiritually. It acts as a barrier to almost everything one is trying to achieve in life.

I realize that the affirmations I am using will take time to counter my old ways of thinking. This way of thinking and reacting took an entire lifetime to establish.

Edited by - shawnsmith on 02/19/2013 09:02:26
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  09:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Shawn, you are really getting good at this. I know that your improving.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  09:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RSR, #3 is more evident with time and does not work right away, So, you may not be doing anthything wrong, just not giving it enough time. Also the urge to rush is so strong and so hard to see that not working on this aspect is a common mistake, which may or may not be the case for you.
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2013 :  07:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ace1. YES, I definitely have that "urge to rush" (like, uh, almost all the time !) There is an intensity, like I am always "behind," so I have to "catch up" all the time, that I have to "prove" something to justify my existence or something

BTW I was thinking this morning ... re this "urge to rush being so hard to see" as you said... YES! I really don't know how you figured all this out, because it is like a fish figuring out it is swimming in water .. without a 'no-water' experience, how could one ever figure that out?!

I was thinking about this also, in terms of Dr Sarno's "beaker" theory ... if I recall correctly, 1/3 past stressors - 1/3 personality - 1/3 current stressors ...not all about rage or the unconscious ... All of the mental strain would probably fit into the "personality" part of the beaker I am supposing ...

OH, and I am also thinking this ... that yes, reducing mental strain might take "consistent all-day practice", but it can't be done w/ a mentally strained intensity (!) which is what I would tend to do ... so I am realizing I need something more like "consistent all-day practice .... with a light touch."

Anyway, I am very grateful for your take on things ! thanks again!

RSR
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000