TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Belly Ache
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  08:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Featured Question
I often feel stressed, and I have frequent bellyaches. Are they related--or is that an old wives' tale?

Answer

Anxiety and stress can cause stomachaches, along with headaches, backaches, and insomnia. A 2002 study of 1,953 men and women found that those experiencing the highest levels of stress were more than three times as likely to have abdominal pain as their more-relaxed counterparts.

The exact connection between stress and bellyaches is still unclear, but one theory holds that the intestines and the brain share nerve pathways; when the mind reacts to stress, the intestines pick up the same signal. Because of this link, learning to manage stress with the help of a clinical psychologist, meditation, or even exercise can usually help relieve tummy trouble too.
prevention magazine....

http://www.prevention.com/stress-and-stomach-aches

Edited by - eric watson on 10/05/2013 08:33:30

Carole

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  14:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting this Eric-I agree with this. Pretty powerful stuff.
My TMS came back a few months ago in the form of constant nausea, and once I determined it wasn't a physical problem, realized my mind was trying to get my attention.
I agree with the theory of the brain and the gut sharing nerve pathways.
Rinkey
quote:
Originally posted by eric watson

F
The exact connection between stress and bellyaches is still unclear, but one theory holds that the intestines and the brain share nerve pathways; when the mind reacts to stress, the intestines pick up the same signal.
http://www.prevention.com/stress-and-stomach-aches

Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  15:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rinky, yea my fiancé always has belly aches
I posted it cause I knew more were out there
Im glad you made the connection.
Did it go away when you made the connection
or going away
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Carole

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  10:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric-
Yes it started easing off when I realized it was ppd/tms. I had CT scans, etc. and was told there was nothing wrong *except* chronic nausea. That's when I figured out my mind was trying to tell me something.
I then started re-reading all of my Sarno books, and picked up Steve O's book and started reading and working on anxiety, stress etc.
Then the real proof came to me when we went away for two weeks on holiday and I had *zero* nausea the entire time.
I think alot of it was and sometimes is conditioning.

Rinkey
Go to Top of Page

eric watson

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  12:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole this is awesome, im so glad you have gained
control over this issue. Its stories like this that make
us all smile. Hey its working and she's got it figured out
Awesome, thank you Carole for sharing this, im so proud of you.
Do you still have other symptoms that your working on?
Go to Top of Page

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  13:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I had constant stomach aches when I was an anxiety-ridden kid. Later, age 19, I had a stressful job doing payroll (definitely not my thing!). On weekends I was in agony, just tied in knots UNLESS my current boyfriend came over and we went for a night ride on his motorcycle. Then the pain simply vanished and stayed gone until Monday morning when it started to build up again.

"It's worth considering that tms is not a treatment but rather an unfolding of the self, and a way of living as an emotionally aware and engaged soul." Plum

PLEASE READ THIS!

Peeps, I have been studying and using Internal Family Systems (IFS) therapy for several months now and have found it most helpful in digging out what is really going on with me to cause tms symptoms.

Over at tmswiki.org there is soon going to be a mailing list for those who want to try using IFS for TMS. I hope you will consider joining it. You can read about IFS and find a form to sign up here:
http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/mailing-list-for-parts-therapy-tms.2868/

Learning to use the IFS therapy for self help is pretty easy, as these things go. There is a lot of info available on youtube.com and various other web sites. including tmswiki.org. If you search "Internal Family Systems", you'll find it. My recommendation for a book is Self Therapy by Jay Earley which costs less than $ 10 on Kindle (also available in paperback at amazon.com). It's thorough and clearly written, I think.

The mailing list is a great way for us to support each other as we look at how IFS might be able to help.

Finally, best wishes to all who suffer from tms, especially those who are still struggling with symptoms. May we all find peace.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000