TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Gum irritation. TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  08:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, has gum irritation been discussed in these forums as TMS? Anyone experience sensitive teeth and have it disappear once diagnosed as TMS?

I'm 44. Last year I was told I grinded my teeth, so have been wearing night-guard.

My teeth look white and healthy and I was told they're strong. However, my gums have been receding - moderate recession.

I started feeling extreme sensitivity to cold in my in top front tooth because the gum had receded. My dentist scared me and suggested I needed grafting, said I should see a periodontist.

For the next 2 weeks I was a stress case about this. And all of a sudden it seemed all of my teeth were sensitive to cold. I met with periodontist, who told me I needed a lot of work, very expensive, no dental insurance because I'm a freelance artist. He said it could be stretched over time.

They then gave me prescription toothpaste and sensodyne. After using these for a month I suddenly realized my gums felt incredibly dry and irritated. I didn't associate it with the toothpaste at first. But now I have and will stop using.

It feels almost as if bloodflow is reduced to the upper gums - they feel dry. They get irritated when I drink coffee, so I've stopped.

Could ANY of this be TMS??

Other stresses: ALL of this is transpiring at a time when I am under stress knowing I need to radically improve my income and raise my standards for my work. I hold myself to high standards that I haven't felt I've been achieving. I also work alone, so my anxious thoughts amplify.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Mark

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  13:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Switters (Mark),
No one has answered so I’ll give it a stab.

I remembered you from last year. You presently ask: “Could ANY of this be TMS??”
I think: yes, any pain large small, new or old no matter where it is has the potential for us to have anxiety or fear. If the pain moves around, comes and goes as Dr. Sarno describes, this is a good clue to believing you have TMS.

Investigate If your lifestyle causing you to grind your teeth. Those little irritations while you work. This might be a habit that you can change. I developed the habit of tensing my neck while leaning over the drawing board and computer. It was so involuntary I didn’t know it was happening. Over the years the neck muscles pulled more to one side, and I now have a crooked neck – Its painful in varying degrees, I’ve nicknamed it Charlie because it resembles a Charlie horse. Were very good friends when Charlie speaks I slow down and think psychologically about my three Pees.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7787&SearchTerms=My,Three,Pees

I was employed in the creative field like you, 24 years on the drawing board and 18 years using CAD and modeling programs. People like us hold ourselves to extremely high standards; we are never satisfied with our efforts. Coupled with this we are subject to criticism and people pleasing more than most.

This is called “being a perfectionist”. As society and lifestyles depict to some degree everyone has to be a perfectionist, but some are more than others. I did a huge amount of journaling about this subject last year and came to the conclusion: “Perfectionism is a gift to be used wisely”. I came to this idea when I realized how much I enjoyed being creative, and that perfectionism was an asset to achieving this.

I have now reduced my standards, I accept blemishes. I’ve slow down, take more breaks and only use this asset where needed. Ace1 has reams of information about this on this thread: “Repeating the keys to healing.” It’s a long read with 29 points and I am sure most of them apply to you.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7765

Mark, I’ve read all your other posts. You have only posted this time of year 2011, 2012 and 2013. Is the a conditional trigger brought about by the time of year Thanksgiving - Christmas?

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Switters

42 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  14:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Glad to meet another creative who understands. Yes, I'm most definitely a perfectionist, sensitive to criticism and hold myself to high standards (and even compare myself to others, which is something I'm trying not to do!

Interesting observation about the timing of my previous posts - I hadn't realized that. I do tend to get "winter blues", but I attribute some pain to the amplification of my focus from working alone.

Thanks again,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  14:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,

People who work alone tend to be introvert, withdrawn and perhaps even lonely. This forum is a good place to express yourself and meet other people in similar circumstances.

I openly confess to having the “winter blues”, when I go windsurfing May through August I go into a happy bubble for three months. Roll on summer!

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000