TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS Pain Update - A message from Monte Hueftle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  21:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

January 2014 Important TMS Update

Topics:

I Get It!
Sitting with Emotions – Why this is the most effective practice to reverse TMS
Lifestyle Approach to TMS – and two interesting research studies

It’s one thing to understand intellectually the steps one needs to heal; it’s totally a different, game changing ballgame to Experience practices that actually heal and reverse TMS!

I Get It! – There is a major shift in a person’s efficiency and effectiveness in reversing TMS when they can genuinely state with conviction “I Get It”! Because of this conviction they automatically respond and communicate to the intelligent pain strategy at a completely different level, a much higher level that renders the pain strategy useless and keeps a person from the common TMS pitfalls of distraction that get them stuck and keep them in a symptom cycle.

How does a person attain I Get It status and results in dealing with TMS?
#1 – You stop searching, analyzing and investigating all the physical symptoms and all the possible causes. You make the choice, the decision to accept the TMS diagnosis 100%.
#2 – You stop all distraction that leads you away from “you”.
#3 – Instead you investigate your self. What is your experience with symptoms, your unique thought and behavior patterns, your pain cycle, what has worked, what hasn’t worked.
#4 – Think about the mind and the body and the connection you experience. Let this be your #1 guide. You have a mind and you have a body. A mind with it’s unique thought and behavior patterns that generates tension, inner stress and anxiety. Your mind has psychological defense mechanisms that help you avoid, deny and repress emotions. Your unique personality that plays many different roles of which many are dictated by some kind of fear which manifest into a need to perform, impress, control or hide. The mind and our psychological makeup is the cause in this mind-body, cause and effect relationship that we know as TMS. Our bodies receive the effects or symptoms from our mind. You can explore this relationship within yourself.
#5 – Understand that as long as you have a Mind and a Body you will experience mind-body effects or symptoms. These can be as pleasant as goose bumps or a painful TMS symptom. But the point is, as long as you have a mind and a body you will experience
cause and effect.
#6 – When a person chooses to make genuine adjustments in how they are being, they make some changes in their unique patterns of thought and behavior (mind), they see and feel a beneficial shift in their body (symptoms). When a person chooses to continue to search and be distracted they usually find they remain in an unwanted symptom cycle, which leads to more searching, looking for more help, becoming more frustrated – Distraction!
#7 – When you accept TMS and persist to not be distracted, while genuinely investigating your self and your mind-body connection, with the knowledge you have acquired about TMS, you will come to this wonderful level of, I Get It!

Getting people to change isn’t just about giving good advice; it’s also about giving them confidence in the advice

Sitting With Emotions
This is absolutely the most significant practice that you can add to your daily life if your intention is to reverse TMS efficiently and effectively!
If you have The Master Practice – refer to page – 54.
I want you to understand the concept of Sitting with Emotions and why I believe it is the most valuable use of your time.
Being with our emotions is not about finding alternatives, it is about experiencing your emotional energy instead of avoiding it - (avoiding is a nice word for repression).

It is really all about dissipating your stored or repressed emotional energy. We can feel an emotion, that’s easy, but not effective in reversing TMS. We feel stuff all the time. Sitting with emotions as a practice to reverse TMS is all about experiencing an emotion! This is a big, huge difference that you need to understand.

The mainstream prescription is for doing. Doing can be talking to someone or searching on a TMS help/support site or taking control of the situation or shutting down or trying to make things perfect or striving and putting more effort into your Doing! Doing involves our mind. We think of ways to cope, we think of things to worry about, we go into our familiar and dominant chronic patterns (worry, striving, controlling, perfecting, pleasing, etc). Please understand that you cannot be with your emotions, you cannot experience this repressed energy if you are in your Mind and all of your associated behavior patterns. You must understand this. It is not possible to experience or be with an emotion if you are thinking, analyzing, investigating, questioning, resenting, worrying, searching, striving, controlling, pleasing, perfecting!
Let’s be clear, yes, you can sit down and feel anger for example. And you can let your mind run wild and the feeling of anger will intensify. This is feeling an emotion but it is Not experiencing this emotion in a way that will dissipate the repressed energy.

When you call Time Out on the mind, call time-out on all the thinking, investigating, questioning, searching, justifying and resenting, you give yourself the opportunity to experience the emotion, to dissipate the stored energy. When you dissipate the repressed energy your symptoms lose their energy and they cease to exist. Why? There is no longer the stored energy that has been repressed trying to be get your attention or attempting to express itself in physical form. Do you Get That?

There is another big, huge positive effect of sitting with your emotions. You also dissipate the compulsion to go right back into your old, familiar, chronic patterns.
Why is this significant? Remember it is your old, familiar, chronic patterns of (worry, controlling, striving, perfecting, pleasing, etc) that are Generating inner tension. And it is these very patterns that are Repressing your emotions! These patterns (usually Type-A) are how we repress emotions every day, all day long (you might call this chronic repression). These patterns are our defense mechanism or how we think we are protecting our self. Do you Get IT?
When we call Timeout and shut-off the mind (this stops repression and gives us the opportunity to experience an emotion) we dissipate the emotional energy and we dissipate the Compulsion to go right back into these old patterns! Why? These patterns are our defense mechanisms. They have a purpose to keep us (protect us) from our emotions. So when we actually experience our emotion there is not the Need to protect the repressed emotion any longer. Since we have taken away the need, the compulsion has dissipated. This is absolutely how it works.

As a side note, this is nothing new. Twenty years ago I was working with emotional eaters (people who had serious weight problems because they repressed their emotions with food). When they began to experience their emotions instead of feeding them (repressing) with more food, their compulsion to keep eating and stuffing food down their bodies dissipated. They experienced their emotion and they no longer needed the defense mechanism of eating food to protect them from these emotions.

Genuinely experience your emotions and you will no longer have the need to protect yourself from them! This changes the entire dynamic of TMS in your life.

Could there be another benefit of experiencing our emotions? Yes, there is another bigger, huger benefit. When you genuinely choose to call Time Out, you shut off the mind and you choose to be with your emotion. This is supreme think psychological and it renders the pain strategy useless. Do you Get It? You were not distracted. You didn’t jump on the TMS help/support site. You didn’t start searching for an alternative. You shut off the mind and you were not Distracted! You put your attention on you and how you were being and this communicated to the intelligent strategy, I Get It!

Search around less and practice being with self more. Be distracted less and practice being with self more. Search less, practice more, until your practice of being with your self is your new dominant chronic pattern of being.

The Lifestyle Approach to Reversing TMS and Living with TMS

I first wrote about the lifestyle approach to TMS back in December 2009 (excerpt is below) I decided to include this topic again in an update a few weeks ago and this past weekend I received a couple of powerful reminders of why this is so significant. The first was listening to Steve Jobs doctor on CNN. He has reviewed and performed some double blind studies relating to cancer and heart disease and overall general health. The highlight of his conversation was, telling people that to reduce the risk of cancer and to reduce the risk of heart disease and to increase your overall health, a person needs to make a few consistent and permanent lifestyle changes. 1 - Eating healthy diets with more vegetables and (for those desk job people) 2- getting up and walking for 4-5 minutes every hour. The point is these are both lifestyle changes and not treatments to fix a problem and they have proven to have significant, permanent benefits in double blind studies!

The second reminder was an article in Outside Magazine about researchers in San Diego. They were researching how everyday athletes could learn to perform like Olympic athletes. The research is focused on the practices that Olympic athletes use to stay focused, calm and balanced in a very high stress, competitive environment and how you and I can do the same. What did they find? Practices like, guided imagery, yoga, mindfulness and meditation significantly changed how a person can respond in high tension/stress experiences. They are collecting incredible, positive data to support the use of these practices. Understand in both examples these practices are a consistent lifestyle approach and not a treatment that will fix a problem. This is what I have been preaching for years regarding treating or addressing TMS. If you use practices that help you become more Open, Allowing, Balanced and Flexible in your daily life and NOT as a TREATMENT that is aimed to FIX a PROBLEM in your body, you will have much more success in living with TMS without all the struggles.

Here is a small excerpt from Dec 2009:
The Three-Pronged Lifestyle Approach is an attitudinal change in your treatment philosophy and it is a multifaceted approach to reversing this disorder for efficiency, effectiveness and permanency.

1. Think Psychological – You must start here and it cannot be a casual awareness approach. This is acceptance, confidence and complete trust. When you communicate with conviction these qualities to this disorder you will defeat the subconscious distraction strategy. When you don’t, you are living in TMS hell. You are allowing the strategy to exist!

2. Think Clean - Identify how you are generating inner tension and repressing emotional energy with your thoughts and behaviors! Learning how to stop repressing emotions with your behaviors and thoughts and instead begin experiencing this energy is the transforming therapy that changes this disorder--This is how you reverse TMS symptoms! Chronic overweight people eat to repress emotions. Behaving and thinking in worry, perfection, controlling, striving, pleasing and holding stuff in is how TMS people repress emotional energy! Remember, having the awareness that you are generating inner tension doesn't change the fact you are generating inner tension and it doesn’t change the autonomic nervous systems process of producing the symptom effects! Reversing TMS is not a passive, intellectual event…it is an active, change therapy!

3. Alternative Activity - Journaling, guided imagery, daily waking-working mindfulness, root lock, hypnosis, yoga, and spiritual practice. Engage in something or someone to help bring openness, balance, alignment, hope, and guidance into your life. These activities supplement and compliment your Think Psychological and Think Clean practices.

The key is to engage in all three of these practices as a way of living and not as a treatment. All of these practices are communication to your nervous system that creates positive transformation within this disorder. Again this is big huge to understand. When you take a casual approach to reversing TMS you get casual results. When you make the decision to change your inner communication on an on-going "this is the way I live my life" basis and not as a temporary treatment, you have shifted the whole healing dynamic within this disorder.

I hope that you are inspired to live with TMS and live free of symptoms! This is a choice that you can make right now. Incorporating the 3-pronged treatment approach into your life is the efficient, effective and the most permanent means of reversing this disorder and living symptom free.

I hope this update has helped you Get It!

· Accept TMS 100%
· Don't Be Distracted
· Address the Real Cause with Confidence & Conviction
· Adopt a Lifestyle approach to becoming more Open, Allowing, Flexible and Balanced, instead of using treatments as a temporary fix, hoping for a cure
· Start living with the I Get It attitude in your everyday life and you will render the intelligent pain strategy useless and you will begin to genuinely change the effects of TMS by genuinely addressing the real cause.

Stay the course,

Monte Hueftle
TMS Mind Body Coach

P.S. How do I Get It
http://www.runningpain.com/master_practice_program

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  08:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post. In my experience, the things I found to be different from what is posted here is the following. I do not believe there is ANY intelligent mechanism. It's just a autonomic dysfunction from bad strained habits that leads to disease. The issue really is the body is abused by straining to go beyond its limit, various common ways are listed in this article. How repression may apply is that you are not aware of these habits because they are so engrained. The one thing not listed here which was the most common reason for straining which is being in a rush or anticipatory about the next task. When you sit with your symptoms and accept them and relax, you tend to calm your nerves which is the ultimate goal over time. Use a symptom as a sign that your straining and try to figure it out if you can and relax from that aspect. Change the strained behaviors and this will help calm your nerves. In addition the most important thing also that is not mentioned here is the process of conditioning where strained states and expectations happen, just bc your in a situation that you have strained in many times in the past.
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  11:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn,

These posts are great and are helping with my recovery. I understand now.

**Sure I can lay down on a bed of nails and not have pain but why am I having back pain when laying down on a soft mattress?
Go to Top of Page

njoy

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  15:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After all these years, I still have to keep reminding myself, as Monty says, to "make the choice, the decision to accept the TMS diagnosis 100%". Not that I'm seeking a physical solution. No, I get past that one pretty fast. But I still need to FOCUS on the part with the problem and tell it "I know you are TMS". This makes a huge difference.

Most recently, it happened with an outbreak of eczema (or psoriosis, doctors get into near fisticuffs about which it is) on the back of my head. Yow, itchy, or what? But no big deal since I am pretty good at ignoring, or hollering at something I know is TMS. Still, it finally got my attention and I realized I was letting my little TMS gremlin misbehave.

So, I said "I know you are TMS. Evallah!" over and over. A mantra and a good one. This morning, the itch is about 10% of what it was.

----------
Currently on about IFS (Internal Family Systems). More info here: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/forums/parts-therapy-and-ifs-internal-family-systems.34/

You can also talk about how IFS helps with TMS on the phone/skype call every Saturday at 1:30 ET (see Sticky on top of the thread).
----------

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000