TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMJ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indiana

Denmark
70 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  11:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not been on this forum since last year where my main problem was TMJ (have had it for years and it seems to be getting worse) although dizzines, IBS and lower back pain were issues too. I got some real helpful answers on this forum and I think I read every post on TMJ and finally convinced myself that TMJ is TMS and that I had to believe it. Although there were heavy flair ups from time to time, in general it became tolerable (until now), i.e. I managed to live with it. I know it probably will never go away completely. At the moment I am in a very bad place. My facial muscles are all tensed up and the more I think about it the worse it gets. I cannot think of anything more stressfull. I cannot relax my jaw and the whole thing makes me miserable. It affects my social life too as I am unable to smile naturally and speak normally. Only people who have experienced severe TMJ will know what I am talking about.
Then there come doubts whether it really is TMS or whether the dentists are right by saying it is structural in order to sell you splints and books, making you do exercises etc. Nothing has helped me so far apart from costing me a lot of money.
Any stress I have is due to TMJ and otherwise self inflicted stress like worrying about the future, feeling worthless, useless and not being very loving towards myself. Why it does develop into TMJ with me I don't know. I am full of anger and tension and anxiety. Sometimes I don't know if my anger stems from my condition (never being able to relax and concentrate) or is supressed anger (I am also a goodist). I have kept a journal digging up a lot of negative things from my childhood. I know a lot of anger stems from there but not all of it. I do not seem to be able to release any tension and guessing my TMJ has a lot to do with tension and not being able to release it does not exactly help either.
The strange thing is that since my TMJ has gotten really bad I have not been feeling dizzy, have no IBS or any other symptoms. In fact I have never felt as fit in the rest of my body in my life (and I am not that young any more). It is as if any tension has moved upwards to my neck, shoulders and head and seems to stay there.
I would be grateful for any thoughts and opinions. I just have to vent a little as this thing is driving me crazy.

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  09:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMJ(TMS) is supposed to drive you crazy. That's what it does.

You are on the right track. Pull yourself off of the physical and focus
on the emotional. Journalling is a great way to do it. You can also
vent to the board about emotional issues. Then the board can help
you with those. That would be more helpful to you then talking
about your physical symptoms.

The distraction theory that Sarno talks about is spot on. Your
example highlights that quite clearly.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: