TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Chemical sensitivity or MCS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2014 :  14:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Since childhood, everytime I'm in a place that smells of a chemical product, like a gas station, or near someone with an intense odor,from a perfume, my mouth, tongue begins burning. I used to live near a chemical facility when I was young. I remember diferent smells in there every now and then.

Last week the same thing happened. I was in a place where they had burned some ink on walls so that it was faster to remove it. The problem was that they had done this 2 month ago, however, I still had my burning mucosis for some days.

I was wondering could this also be related to TMS? Was any danger to my health? I mean, being allergic to small chemical doses, means that they are in fact intoxicating me, but not the others?

Should one force himself to be in such places? I remeber hearing about people who got sick after working in cleaning the twin towers, when they colapse.

I also have the same reaction when I eat chinese food. Nobody told me about it. I discover it all by myself. There was no suggestion.

Has anyone overcome their MCS?

Edited by - filipe on 09/22/2014 01:38:12

Birdie78

Germany
145 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  14:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Filipe,

please check out these sites. There're lots of informations about MCS and related conditions and about the role the ANS plays in it.
It's all about an oversensitized nervous system which reacts to chemicals as "invaders", producing tons of stress hormones and thereby feeding the viscious cycle. One can learn to decondition oneself by calming these structures of the unsonscious mind (mainly the amygdala in the limbic system). Knowing about this & knowing Sarno (and that MCS servers a purpuse a la distraction!) is powerfull stuff.
http://www.dnrsystem.com/
http://www.guptaprogramme.com/

Good luck!

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2014 :  14:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying Birdie :)

My biggest question is this: Am I so lucky to notice something, most of the people don't notice? Is this low chemical stuff doing harm to everyone, and my MCS is like a blessing to me? Or is it really a problem of my imune system?

I NEVER HEARD about chemical sensitivity EVER. I use to be preplaxed by the fact that some oddors didn't bother my friends, or my relatives. They could sleep in rooms, that were recentely painted, etc. For instances, I could not stand the cloro from pools.

For instances, my RSI chronic pain is caused by TMS, but in this case I'v always heard about our body being very fragile, namely tendons. So there were some suggestion/fear, to my subconscience in a way.

Electromagnitic Hypersensitive people, get their skin nerves burned/destroyed, after exposure, and this can be seen in skin byopsies. (http://iopscience.iop.org/1755-1315/10/1/012005) EHS is real. Could it be an auto-imune reaction, like urticaria? I'm opento everything after learning about TMS :)

I once read that ionizig radiation make the cells to auto-destroy. As you know, there are some people that receives great amount of it and don't suffer anything.

Thanks,

Filipe

Edited by - filipe on 09/22/2014 15:11:03
Go to Top of Page

Birdie78

Germany
145 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  13:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Filipe,
quote:
Is this low chemical stuff doing harm to everyone, and my MCS is like a blessing to me? Or is it really a problem of my imune system?

I guess lots of chemical stuffs aren't "healthy", but most of the people can deal with it as our body hast the natural ability to detox. Of course some chemicals would harm nearly everyone, like asbestos or mercury "steam". And no, I don't think it's a blessing to react hypersensitive to chemicals. I really think it's a problem of your overactive amygdala/immunesystem. The immunesystem is greatly influenced by the ANS. Overactive ANS may trigger an overactive immune response. So you habe to calm and soothe your ANS and tell yourself over and over again that these chemicals won't hurt you. After doing this and other caliming practices for a few months (like meditation and whatever is soothing to you) you can begin to expose yourself very slowly to some minor triggers. That's called pacing. Only doing step after step, so you can "adjust" your nervous/immune system to the chemicals and your immune system will learn that chemicals are not as dangerous as it thought.
It might be similar with electromagnetic hypersensitivity. And of course can your immune system damage body structures as seen in conditions like MS and other autoimmune related issues. But that does not mean that it's not a psychological thing in origin.
Only ignoring the symptom might not be enough in severe causes. I really guess the key is to calm down the nervous system and then slightly decondition it from triggers. Hard work, but possible for sure.
I guess, like "fibromyalgia", it's a real severe form of TMS and a mind-body-disorder. I am suffering from an overactive immunesystem too (it was testet in my blood). My doctor told me that's a sign of unconscious self-hate and autoagression. I guess he's right (can only speak for myself!).

Kind regards from Germany sends Birdie
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  10:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Birdie78
Overactive ANS may trigger an overactive immune response. So you habe to calm and soothe your ANS and tell yourself over and over again that these chemicals won't hurt you. After doing this and other caliming practices for a few months (like meditation and whatever is soothing to you) you can begin to expose yourself very slowly to some minor triggers. That's called pacing. Only doing step after step, so you can "adjust" your nervous/immune system to the chemicals and your immune system will learn that chemicals are not as dangerous as it thought.

I think this is reasonable advice and consistent with the steps for recovery from TMS.

It is clear that the immune system is a major target of TMS. Everything from hayfever (which is really just a chemical oversensitivity) to psoriasis can be linked to an overactive immune system and can be considered TMS symptoms.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  14:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But how does it become overactive? Is it because of constant exposure? I used to lay down by the floor when I was a child, to smell the odor of a waxed floor.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  19:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filipe

I used to lay down by the floor when I was a child, to smell the odor of a waxed floor.

My ex used to love the smell of gasoline, it was great she would always jump out and pump the gas.

==================================================

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/27/2014 19:41:02
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  09:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

But how does it become overactive?

The TMS process manipulates the autonomic nervous system.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  01:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand what your saying, Dave, but there are also some external agrettions to our body, such as heavy metal poisning, chemicals, and radiation. It is well known that electromagnetic radiation attacks the nervous system/ANS, and that your imune system weakens with cumulative exposure. Maybe these factos also function as stressors, like fear and rage, without the conscious knowing. Radiation induces the cells to self distruct.

Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  08:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly our bodies are susceptible to poisons and radiation. However, I assume that you have not had such exposure recently.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  10:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is well known that electromagnetic radiation attacks the nervous system/ANS, and that your imune system weakens with cumulative exposure.

If you're talking about cell phone towers, I think that has been disproven or yet to be proven. My cell VZW phone service sucks big time because the anti-cell phone tower agitators make it so difficult to put them where they're needed to fill out the grid. I know one guy who makes a living as an "anti-cell tower consultant" making it difficult or impossible to place them. If I didn't rent, I would offer my roof for free to VZW to build one, if it would give me another bar of reception. Anyhoo, it it a well known fact that wearing a tin hat mconstructed of aluminum wrap will prevent any permanent brain damage--I have mine on.

tt/lsmft

======================================================================

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/29/2014 10:14:36
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  12:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

How can you say such things?!?!???!??!?!?!?!? A five stars guy, like you ;) So much rage!

You accept the fact that the health industry is a multidollar business, and therefore subject to corruption, but the electronic industry, well, that's another story? Is it?

What about ciggaretes, or Asbestos? I'm a non-smoker. Why should I have to accept the idea of being a passive one? Because it's not proven to be harmfull??!?!? And who sould prove it? The industry? In such case it will never be proven to be harmfull...

Here's a great interview of Sr Philip Morris about cigarretes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpwcF3Malj8

As you can see, he uses the same argument as cell phone defenders, which is, "It's not proven to be harmfull..." It will never be. Well, Maybe 40 years from now it will be, when the industry launches its newer "non-radiation cell-phone" model...

PS: I don't like small babies...

I thought people in the US were more aware of this. Here's a great explanation of what is happening with EMFs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTqsbchSks

Here's a prove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7rC2Z96VoY

PS 2: Really, you don't get a good signal? Well here in my country we have maximum boost 24/7... Well, according to you, we must be smarter than Americans... :)

Edited by - filipe on 09/29/2014 13:23:50
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  13:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

How can you say such things?!?!???!??!?!?!?!? A five stars guy, like you ;) So much rage!

WOW FILIPE, I WAS GIVING YOU ADVICE A WHILE BACK AND NOW YOU'RE THE DOC--THANKS FOR THE DX ON THE RAGE!--I THOUGHT THERE WAS SOMETHING GOING ON SUB-C.

You accept the fact that the health industry is a multidollar business, and therefore subject to corruption, but the electronic industry, well, that's another story? Is it?

I'VE NEVER ACCEPTED THAT AS A FACT, I LIKE MULTI-DOLLARS INDUSTRIES, GOT ANY HOT STOCK TIPS FOR ME? I MADE MY MONEY ON PHIZER, ROCHE AND GENENTECH, COULD USE A NEW PHARMA STOCK TO HELP BUY THE NEXT RACE CAR.

What about ciggaretes, or Asbestos? I'm a non-smoker. Why should I have to accept the idea of being a passive one? Because it's not proven to be harmfull??!?!? And who sould prove it? The industry? In such case it will never be proven to be harmfull...

CIGS, MADE SOME GOOD MONEY ON PHILLIP MORRIS TOO, KRAFT WAS A DOG. BOTH MY PARENTS SMOKED, THEY LIVED TO RIPE OLD AGES. I NEVER SMOKED BUT AM THINKING ABOUT TAKING UP KOOLS IN PROTEST TO THE DEMONIZATION AND PERSECUTION OF TOBACCO--MOST GROWERS ARE VERY SMALL FARMERS. DEMONIZING TOBACCO IS A WAY OF SWITCHING "THE CHILDREN" TO THE POISON OF POT--WHICH IS INHALING SMOKE AND UNFILTERED AT THAT--BUT IT'S MEDICINE RIGHT!--WHAT A JOKE!

ASBESTOS, I ONCE SINGLE HANDEDLY DEMOLISHED AN OLD IRON BOILER IN AN ENCLOSED BASEMENT WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER BECAUSE IT WAS TOO BIG TO GET OUT ANY OTHER WAY. ASBESTOS WAS FLYING FOR DAYS LIKE IT WAS CHRISTMAS. THAT WAS DECADES AGO, SINCE THEN I RAN HUNDREDS OF 5 & 10 K RACES AND THIRTEEN MARATHONS WITH-OUT A SHORTAGE OF BREATH AND PLAY TENNIS AND SWIM DAILY. BUT, THE TRIAL LAWYERS ARE PACKED INTO THE HALLS OF JUSTICE GETTING THE FREE MONEY FROM THE BILLION $$$$ SETTLEMENT.

Here's a great interview of Sr Philip Morris about cigarretes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpwcF3Malj8

As you can see, he uses the same argument has cell phone defenders, which is, "It's not proven to be harmfull..." It will never be. Well, Maybe 40 years from now it will be.

PS: I don't like small babies...

I'M NOT CRAZY ABOUT BABIES OF ANY SORT, ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT CRY INCESSANTLY WHEN I'M EATING IN A RESTAURANT, TRYING TO READ A BOOK AROUND THE POOL OR WATCHING A TENNIS MATCH. WHEN I HEAR THE WORDS,"DEAR I'M PREGGERS" I RUN LIKE HELL.

I thought people in the US were more aware of this. Here's a great explanation of what is happening with EMFs...

PEOPLE IN THE USA ARE AS IGNORANT OF REAL SCIENCE AS ANYWHERE ELSE THANKS TO CNN--AND WATCH OUT THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTqsbchSks

Fillepe, here's some real science for you not quack science, hope it gets you to take your tin hat off for awhile:

"Science-Based Medicine

Nonsense about the Health Effects of Electromagnetic Radiation

Posted by Harriet Hall on January 15, 2013

Helke Ferrie has written an article for The CCPA Monitor, a monthly journal published by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, entitled “Dirty electricity, EMF radiation can be removed or reduced.” It is in the June 2012 issue, and is not available online. She calls herself a science writer, but this is not the writing of a person who understands science. There is hardly a word of truth in it. It’s a classic example of pseudoscientific propaganda, an appalling farrago of false statements and fallacious arguments. The nonsense starts with the very first sentence:

The symptoms of electropollution-induced sickness involve all organs with many debilitating symptoms, from skin rashes to cancer; they are part of the Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) spectrum.

The diagnoses of “electromagnetic hypersensitivity” and “multiple chemical sensitivity” are not recognized by the medical and scientific communities. Up to 5% of the population has come to attribute a large variety of nonspecific symptoms to non-ionizing electromagnetic fields from cell phones and other common electrical devices or to the chemicals in their environment. Their complaints have been thoroughly evaluated. Numerous studies and systematic reviews have been done; they are summarized in a Wikipedia article. Just to give one example, a systematic review published in Psychosomatic Medicine in 2006 analyzed 31 double blind studies comparing real radiation to sham radiation. Patients couldn’t tell the difference. 24 of the studies found no effect, 7 reported “some” supporting evidence (2 of which could not be replicated on subsequent trials by the same researchers), 3 were false positives attributed to statistical artefacts, and the final 2 had mutually incompatible results. They concluded:

The symptoms described by “electromagnetic hypersensitivity” sufferers can be severe and are sometimes disabling. However, it has proved difficult to show under blind conditions that exposure to EMF can trigger these symptoms. This suggests that “electromagnetic hypersensitivity” is unrelated to the presence of EMF.

More recent reviews have confirmed these findings, and based on 25,000 articles published over the past 30 years, the World Health Organization concluded:

current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields.

On his website, Brian Dunning recounted an anecdote where various people claimed a new cell tower was affecting their health — before it had even been turned on!

Patients who think they are suffering from EMF exposure are suffering, but not from EMF. The suffering is real, but the cause is not what they think, and treatments based on illusory causes are not likely to help except through placebo effects.

The second sentence of Ferrie’s article says:

In fact, Dr. William Rea, co-founder of the American Academy for Environmental Medicine (AAEM) became EMF-sensitive himself from the operating room lights when he was still a surgeon.

Dr. Rea’s belief that the lights were the cause of his symptoms is not supported by any credible evidence. His AAEM is a questionable organization targeted by Quackwatch and not recognized by the American Board of Specialties. His own practice involves unvalidated tests and treatment with “the electromagnetic imprint” of chemicals in the form of homeopathic remedies. The Texas medical board charged him with several counts including pseudoscientific test methods, failure to make accurate diagnoses, and nonsensical treatments. He claims to have done research but his few published studies range from the seriously flawed to the uncontrolled and outright laughable.

I could go on to deconstruct every paragraph of Ferrie’s article, but I haven’t the patience to write it and you wouldn’t have the patience to read it. A few examples of her silliness will have to suffice:

“All the cells in your body are aligned North-South, but they can’t work properly if you sleep on a metal coil bed.”
“That microwave oven will radiate you within 9 feet, and wrecks the nutrients in your food.”
“The telephone’s sound-amplifying magnet kills off brain cells.”
“Energy efficient light bulbs radiate at carcinogenic levels.”
“Even if all appliances and lights are off, dirty electricity radiates through the house from the wiring in the walls, which also may be too close to water pipes, increasing conductivity.”
“Smart meters are as harmful as all the inappropriately wired gadgets in your entire house combined, because they also attack building materials.”
“EMF damage caused by technology separates us from the life-sustaining and healing electromagnetic field activity of Earth.”
“This invisible poison wrecks human brains, causes sperm to deteriorate, ovaries to malfunction, and fetuses to die. So there goes the human race…”
She is quick to criticize conventional medicine with the some of the same tired old complaints that have been thoroughly and repeatedly debunked.

It treats symptoms, not causes
Drugs only make the sick get sicker quicker
Doctors are not knowledgeable about EMF
Her solutions?

Don’t use cellphones
Don’t watch TV
Graham/Stetzer filters (plugged into outlets).
Shielding materials like metal plates, radiation-repellant paint and curtains.
Use low-radiation Apple computers, on batteries, and sit 4 feet away.
Monitor yourself with body voltage and gauss meters.
“Detoxify” with coffee enemas and supplements.
Eat organic food and consume freshly squeezed juices.
Use pulsed electromagnetic field therapy to promote healing by resonance with the Earth. You can buy “intelligent Magnetic-Resonance-Stimulation systems” for home use.
She calls for legislation to protect the public
Elsewhere she has demonstrated the most egregious cherry-picking, citing outdated and discredited studies and blithely ignoring all the evidence to the contrary. She says:

Living creatures are electrical beings able to function only within specific frequencies. [And those frequencies are…?]

She quotes unreliable sources like Devra Davis. Lorne Trottier has written a blistering two-part rebuttal to Davis’ book Disconnect.

Ferrie says electromagnetic technology:

has the power to obliterate life, phase out our biological future, and kill the brain.

She reports that the very day Graham/Stetzer filters were received by a school, a dairy farmer a quarter of a mile away noticed that his cows started producing ten pounds more milk a day because the dirty electricity was being removed from the ground currents.

Why is Ferrie spewing this arrant nonsense? She gives us some clues. She is a true believer whose vendetta began after a cell phone tower was erected one mile from her home. Over the next 2 months she developed headaches, eye pain, bleeding from one ear, and a cataract in one eye. In a classic application of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, she attributed her symptoms to the tower. Anyone with a basic knowledge of physics should realize that the only way to get any significant EMF exposure from one of those towers is to climb it and spend a lot of time at the top.

She calls herself a science writer, but this is not science writing — it is a polemic designed to convert readers to a belief system. She clumsily tries to co-opt science to validate her preconceived opinions. A scientist knows that if you search hard enough you can find studies to support almost any belief. Scientists strive for an unbiased evaluation of all the scientific evidence to determine “if” something is true. Instead, Ferrie tries to “use” science to “prove” the truth of what she believes based on her misinterpreted personal experience. She searches for studies in a blatant exercise of confirmation bias and presents poorly digested, misunderstood, and even demonstrably false information to her readers.

This article is a travesty. It’s surprising to see it published in a respectable publication.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/29/2014 14:22:41
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  13:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My arms started aching again...

PEACE
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  13:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My arms started aching again...

PEACE

KOOL! Proof positive of the existence of TMS! And it's wonderous sub-C workings.

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  13:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any technology we create in this world is subject to health concerns. Power lines, microwave ovens, vaccines, cell phone towers ... the list goes on and on. You can choose to believe (or obsess) over such things, or not.

The choice really comes down to whether or not we are going to worry about things we cannot control. What is the point of being concerned about cell phone tower radiation? Do you plan on never going near one?
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  14:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

The choice really comes down to whether or not we are going to worry about things we cannot control. What is the point of being concerned about cell phone tower radiation? Do you plan on never going near one?

I know i cannot control it, maybe I can control the way my body reacts to it. That is why I started this thread. I can't control global warmming, but I don't take my car to work...

Answering your question :" Do you plan on never going near one?" How can I? Where I live nowadays there is almost a cell tower in every building. Maybe this means that Portuguese people are smarter than others afterall...

Edited by - filipe on 09/29/2014 14:49:36
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  14:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know i cannot control it, maybe I can control the way my body reacts to it.

Either you believe the symptom is psychogenic, or not.

If you believe that your body is reacting to chemical or electromagnetic stimuli, then it is the same as treating TMS back pain as a real physical problem.

Whether the symptom is "real" or not, there is really nothing you can do about it, so why not just treat it like any other TMS symptom. The more you pay attention to it, fight it, or try to control it, the more it is likely to continue as it is serving its purpose of grabbing your attention.
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  15:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe anything... that's the problem... did you read my thread from the beginning? I used to love the smell of a waxed floor until it started burning my mucosis, my eyes becoming red, and red spots started appearing on my face... I NEVER HEARD ABOUT MCS, NEVER... until I suffer its consequences... and they were and are very phisical.. not hysterical... that's the point... you cannot be affraid of something you never, ever heard about... Portugal used to be a dictatorship... There no lawsuits here. Health people isn't suid for misspractice here. There is noonoe gaining Money, deffending "superfluous" claims here, such as health... nobody used to care about asbestos, or cigarettes... or planting a chemical facility near your house. I used to live close to a airport, with planes flying over me all night long... believe me, i'm sure our brain is involved somehow, but that is because it sences chemical and electrical stimulus, unconsciously....

Edited by - filipe on 09/30/2014 03:44:12
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

..I used to live close to a airport, with planes flying over me all night long...

Hey I got to go to work, I don't get paid for doing this, see white-coats and give them big bucks. If all this electricity stuff was so bad think about all the people IN those planes and how fried their brains would be! The info I sent you is REAL science--it says so right on top. We believe the lies we want to believe--I choose to believe this and the stuff at QuackWatch.

Have a good night, drink some good port and don't let the bed-bugs bite.

Adios,
tt/lsmft

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/29/2014 15:33:55
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2014 :  01:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok
Thanks Tom, thanks Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic