TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 My job is causing me so much pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alfaman147

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  10:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a tms sufferer with terrible rectal pressure and ache all day long. Have just started seeing a tms therapist and she says she can see a strong link between my pain and my job. I have decided to look for another job. It may not be the cause of my pain but it doesn't help. Has anyone else had a similar problem and found that their job causes or makes pain worse??. I am scared of change but I think I have to make a change. I'm fortunate to have some financial backing from my family and my girlfriend. I just want to feel better again. I want my life back. I don't want to have that horrible Sunday night feeling all the time. I assosiate my pain with my job so it may be habitual and I just worry that changing jobs will not help or make it worse. I don't have any pain or its alot better when I'm on holiday or drunk.

Darko

Australia
387 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  16:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alf,
Changing jobs may or may not fix it. You have to look at why your job is causing the issue exactly and address that. You have to dig down down and find out what is going on for you emotionally.

D
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  11:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alfaman147, you have to look deeper on why that job has such an effect on you. It may trigger some older repressed emotions (school?) that you carry around. Try to reconnect with those emotions, re-experience them, and discharge them. Don't assume that switching jobs will resolve that.
Go to Top of Page

alfaman147

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  13:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But surely if I can make a positive impact in my life it would be for the better. Even if my job is not directly the cause it's a place that I have added stress in my life. If I can try and make a change for the better I feel I have to go for it. I get this pain when I'm stressed and my job makes it worse.
Go to Top of Page

alix

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  14:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is that stress does not equate repressed emotions. You repress negative emotions like fear, low self-esteem, being hesitant, uneasy etc. Any other job may trigger that too.
Go to Top of Page

alfaman147

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  15:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's true. Bit having felt with this for nearly 6 years and having the problem start at the same time as a major stress event at my current job I am always going to assosiate this job with my pain. I have worked in the same place for 14 years. All of my working life
I would like to make a change even if it is not to cure my pain. I know a cure is unlikely but as advised by my therapist, moving in to a less stressful job can surely only be a good thing. It may also be something else to focus on. A change in my life
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  16:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alf,

we don’t know what that major stressful work event was, and we don’t need to know. Have you written about this rationally /analytically / logically / thoughtfully to yourself etc? Doing so might expose the subconscious stuff that is causing your pain, as the pen is mightier than the TMS sword.

I have had loads of jobs, been through six layoffs, and even walked off a lucrative job in a hissy fit once, I was furious and angry when another senior employee took credit for my work and got a bonus, I could not believe his audacity and greed. Because of this I created lots of tricks to survive in the work place to protect myself, believe it or not these tricks actually became the most fun part of my work day.

So now retired at 66 years old I consider myself very verse in changing jobs, and I can tell you quitting a job in a hissy fit felt really good…, for about twenty minutes… until I got home. Months later I eventually got a less stressful job, but I still had those repress negative emotions that Alix mentioned.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

alfaman147

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  13:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not doing it in a hissy fit. It's the only job I have ever had. I'm a motor vehicle mechanic. I left school and trained at college. Went into this job and I have been there for 14 years. Even if it doesn't help my problem I want a change. I know I may have repressed emotions but this job really doesn't help. I work so hard for little money. I get pushed around alot and alot is expected of me. My first 3 years I was bullied by my boss to the point that when I was younger I would cry before work. I was threatened with redundancy years ago if I didn't move to another role in the company. Basically I have been over worked and under paid for so long it has become a drag along. I am not happy there and my colleagues have noticed it. I'm in a financial position where I am ok for money for a while. I'm still young and I have been stuck in a rut. I feel if I don't act now I will make myself stay for another 5, 6, 10 years.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  20:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alf,

Sorry for the hissy fit bit, I was not describing you; I see it could have been interpreted the wrong way. At least this event served to make you write about the possible causes of your pain on a psychological level. A change of jobs could be what you need. Since you would be taking control and boosting your self esteem. Your CBT or TMS therapist could perhaps help you set up some of those protective measures for your new environment and help with the uncertainties we all have in making job transitions.

I can give you many examples of what I did if you want. My work experience took me through many employment settings from machine shops through executive program management. They all dish out different flavors of stress, some of them transparent like yours and some buried that need revealing.

What if any of Dr. Sarno’s work have you read, or did you just find out about TMS some other way? Reading his works gave me hope, understanding and inspiration for my recovery.

Hi from an Ex Brit. (I love Wheeler Dealers, and had the stressful experience of building my own kit car in my teens, a Mini Marcos, yuk yuk.)

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  08:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you describe is discriminatory behavior and a hostile workplace. It is against the law.

I am not suggesting you take legal action, but it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to stay, and if so, if you will stand up for yourself and demand to be treated fairly and according to the law.

Regarding your TMS, if you resign yourself to believing that your pain is due to "the job" and there is nothing you can do to change it, then I'm afraid you might not have much relief. It is rarely that simple. The things we can identify as stressors in our lives certainly contribute to the causes of TMS, but they are not the cause of the symptoms.

You likely have TMS not due to the stress about your job, but the pressure your job puts on your inner self. The job is a major ingredient of the unconscious rage. It affects your self-esteem. It makes you ashamed that you are unwilling to take the risk necessary to relieve yourself of this situation. It makes you feel weak and powerless. It makes the "child inside you" enraged that you allow it to continue and don't take care of him.

This is purely hypothetical, but I use it to illustrate the true source of TMS. It is not what we feel, it is what we cannot feel. It is not what we know, it is what we do not realize or accept.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  09:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alfaman, mechanics are in high demand at least in the states, where they're called techs now. Here you wouldn't have any problem finding a job, I don't know how it is back in Merry Old though. It seem there would be plenty of old Jags (and new ones) that need tinkering with. Have you thought about finding a new shop? You're experienced now and should have a lot to offer maybe even to a race team. Start visiting shops and see if they're looking for techs, they probably always are and will appreciate you. No one should have to do or stay in an unhappy relationship or situation for more then ten years, life's too short!

G'luck!
tt/lsmft
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000