TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Could chronic pain be caused by bacteria?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  09:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2015/03/researchers-have-gut-feeling-could-chronic-pain-be-caused-bacteria

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  09:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could the suppression of the immune system that allows this bacteria to grow in the first place be TMS?
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2015 :  21:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Could the suppression of the immune system that allows this bacteria to grow in the first place be TMS?

Since this is the TMS Help Forum, I vote for this.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  10:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is exactly the same as saying H.plyori bacteria is responsible for stomach ulcers. Medical researchers were so happy to discover this so they can claim that stress is not a factor after all. They fail to answer the obvious next questions: why are some people more susceptible to build up of H.plyori than others? Why do some people who have H.plyori not develop ulcers or other symptoms?

There is no question chemical changes in our bodies are responsible for symptoms. Medical science has no interest in taking it a step further to figure out why the chemical changes are occurring. We know that TMS affects the immune system in such a way that may be responsible for the chemical changes in the first place.

Perhaps one day medical research will pay closer attention to this and consider the chicken rather than the egg.
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  08:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's been quite a lot of work on why some are susceptible after h pylori infection and others not. A good summary is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/gastric-ulcer/print.html

* Genetic Factors. Some people harbor strains of H. pylori that contain genes that may make the bacteria more dangerous, and increase the risk for ulcers. How important these genetic factors are in the development of ulcers depends on a person's ethnicity.
* Immune Abnormalities. Some experts suggest that certain individuals have abnormalities in their intestinal immune response, which allow the bacteria to injure the lining.
* Lifestyle Factors. Although lifestyle factors such as chronic stress, drinking coffee, and smoking were long believed to be primary causes of ulcers, it is now thought that they only increase susceptibility to ulcers in some H. pylori carriers.
* Shift Work and Other Causes of Interrupted Sleep. People who work the night shift have a significantly higher incidence of ulcers than day workers. Researchers suspect that frequent interruptions of sleep may weaken the immune system's ability to protect against harmful bacterial substances.

In addition, infection isn't the only route and many medications can cause ulcers, often in people who coincidentally are infected.

One study example (out of a very large number in this area):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16550552

Stresses of various sorts play a role, although I'm not sure I would categorize anything under TMS as that sort of long-route to creating discomfort is unlikely to yield real or percieved psychological advantages.

Edited by - alexis on 03/26/2015 09:14:50
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  18:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello
I have always been very analytical and went to places like Hopkins for my training. My experience with tms has been extremely enlightening. As Dave has stated, the basic cause of ulcers is tms. Yes certain genes seem to turn on that make the person more susceptible. There was a major study found in the journal science that was posted on this site that showed genes turned on by our environment can be passed down to children. The arguments and studies Alexis points out are important to address but in reality are very similar to data cited for classic tms equivalents. The only way to "see" that ulcers are full tms equivalents is to see how they shift around from other equivalents and to see the psychological circumstances that usually precede their onset. Unless you see patients all the time and have tms knowledge, I fear you may not have access to this information. Like I have always maintained, just bc something is tms, doesnt mean it can't kill or cripple you, so make sure first to be treated medically if it is on this level. Tms is very hard to change and many will try and fail. It however doesn't hurt to add tms to the medical treatment you will receive anyways.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  23:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've had a bout with ulcers, in the long, meandering world tour that TMS has made of my body.

Right now I have tingling in limbs and exhaustion. Am I stressed? Angry? Well, there is always that list - at this time my best friend has cancer, is on chemo. WTF Life?

I feel that my personal ROR (Reservoir Of Rage) is very big, and the shocks to my system that led to uncontrollable somatizing go back pretty much to birth - since my big sister was freaked out at my birth and tried to hurt or maim me. She was still at it when she died about 4 years ago. I feel as though I am emerging from a long imprisonment - being in the presence and later in the family system (although in different continents) with someone who hated me irrationally, and was a psychopath - no conscience or empathy, happy to destroy people, but particularly ME.

I was using antacids as a young child, and my dad had ulcer surgery. I flirted with this for a few years, about 20 years back. Then it was my bladder, my back, my teeth, my dizziness, allover pain, migraines, on and on... even a short bout with cancer that went away.

And of course, the absolute poker tell, the smell-a-rat factor that shows that it is TMS is that it moves around the body. My best attempts are to hold it very lightly, but it is still quite rabid in my body and as many have pointed out, when you are chronically fatigued you really can't do much in terms of attitude.

I need a certain amount of support from docs still, but not the way I used to tour the world medical establishment, natural and allopathic. I perhaps go twice a year to my doc for a few prescriptions. I've been recently having some healing sessions for relief, and I especially like cranial sacral and other subtle methods which seem to balance me and also allow some of the rage and underlying emotion to be directly felt and released.

But mostly, it's a cheery unserious attitude and dragging my arse to the gym no matter what. I can only do 3 half-hour sessions a week without aggravating inflammation, but oneof these sessions is sboxing - very good for TMS. In fact it should be part of the cure.

Just drifting through the forum, Hi Tom and others ! Got any supportive comments on my rather scary tingles?

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

Peregrinus

250 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  06:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wavy Soul

Got any supportive comments on my rather scary tingles?

WS:
I have two suggestions. Let go of the past and let go of your symptoms. Don't allow yourself to be defined by past injustices or by your medical history and routines.
Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  08:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Katie,

Having met you in person for tea once, no one would ever know by looking at you that you weren't the picture of health and happiness. Have you been down to the club much, where have you been hanging out there? I'll be the one in the hot-tub reading with the head-phones on, feel free to interrupt.

Cheers,
tt
Go to Top of Page

filipe

Portugal
280 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  11:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chronic pain is TMS.I'm CURED :)

However as I said before in this fórum TMS, neurotoxins, radiation, etc, weakens the imune system compromising its fight against bactéria, and its abbility to distinguish between self and non-self. So all sort of symptoms arrise, being pain one of thsose symptoms. don't Forget that body needs time to heal, if radiation, or neurotoxis, are to blame. This happened to me...
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  21:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace1

The only way to "see" that ulcers are full tms equivalents is to see how they shift around from other equivalents and to see the psychological circumstances that usually precede their onset. Unless you see patients all the time and have tms knowledge, I fear you may not have access to this information.

I think the only way to see what is really close to the truth is through carefully controlled studies. Observations of practioners are wider than single, non professional self-reports, but still anecdotal and easily subject to personal bias. Look at the physician reports vs. research on using methotrexate for psoriasis. Not only did patients think it worked, but so did their physicians. Unfortunately, both appear to have been deluded for similar reasons. I think provider observations are a vital step is selecting where to investigate, but they are not a replacement for real research and can usually only be considered weak evidence.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000