TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 tooth pain stuff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steffi71

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  10:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I have ever posted on here before, but I read a lot of posts, so thanks to everyone! This site has been very helpful. I struggled with debilitating chronic pain from the time I was eighteen, and seven years and 20+ doctors/healers/whatevers later, I stumbled upon TMS work, which completely healed me. Very thankful.
Anyway, I wanted to reach out about some tooth pain stuff. I have done some searches on it and found interesting information, but I am wondering if anyone has a fresh take.
I have been having pain in my teeth on the right side of my mouth, on a tooth that had a root canal three years ago (and has never felt totally "right") and the one right behind it. I know I am clenching my jaw at night (I sometimes wear a mouth guard) and have had "TMJ" off and on, and there are certainly some stressors in my life right now (good ones, but still intense.) My concern is whether or not to return to my endodondist to inquire about the pain to potentially rule anything out, because I feel like he'll try to sell me, due to the fancy cost of root canals and crowns. I am reluctant to get any work done in the first place due to the high cost and also not being totally sure that root canals are even necessary or safe. I have heard that root canals are not always healthy and have been linked to cancer... and are teeth meant to decay so fast? Am I just trying to make it TMS so I can try to make the pain go away on my own so I can avoid paying and being in that darn chair?
I was at my dentist a month ago for a check up, and when he asked if I was having any aches and pains I said no, not wanting to draw too much attention to it. I am really trying to TMS it away, but I am not sure if it always applies to teeth. I've had a history of "bad teeth," cavities and fillings and all that as a kid. My mom has had a lot of work, too. Genetic?
The pain is not excruciating, and it doesn't hurt to eat. Just throbs and aches that come and go, sometimes sensitive to hot and cold. Stress? Would love anyone's feedback. Thanks so much!

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  17:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your mistake was not to tell your dentist the truth. I can understand not wanting to tell the endodontist if you think he wants the money....that's why you should get the opinion from your general dentist. When was your last x-ray? Which tooth is it? Can you describe where it is (4th from back, etc)?

As far as root canals being harmful, we have all heard that but it's either that or extraction. I have had many root canals but also have pain that the dentists consider to be "atypical odontalgia", basically pain with no cause. I have had this for 25 years on and off. Dentist finds nothing. I know a lot about this, that's why I am asking which tooth is bothering you.
Go to Top of Page

Steffi71

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  18:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I don't think calling it a "mistake for not telling the truth" is necessary. All of my X-rays with my dentist have been normal. He mentioned a few months back that I show the very earliest signs of periodontal disease but not to worry right now.
It is the two back molars on the right, on the bottom.

quote:
Originally posted by susan828

Your mistake was not to tell your dentist the truth. I can understand not wanting to tell the endodontist if you think he wants the money....that's why you should get the opinion from your general dentist. When was your last x-ray? Which tooth is it? Can you describe where it is (4th from back, etc)?

As far as root canals being harmful, we have all heard that but it's either that or extraction. I have had many root canals but also have pain that the dentists consider to be "atypical odontalgia", basically pain with no cause. I have had this for 25 years on and off. Dentist finds nothing. I know a lot about this, that's why I am asking which tooth is bothering you.

Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  21:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean to insult your judgement. I just find that starting with my regular dentist who can be more impartial is the best way. Good that he took x-rays.

The reason I asked which teeth is because the condition they said I had is usually in top molars, often follows an extraction (which I had) and is common with women in their forties, which I was at the time. However, atypical tooth pain can happen to anyone. If you see my prior posts and a few other people here (if you search tooth) you will see how so many of us suffer with this. No rhyme or reason, frustrating to me too because x-rays are normal.

I wanted to know if this could be sinus related but you are saying it is your bottom teeth. When my sinuses act up, it can travel to the bottom. Dentists tell you no but many of my friends have had the same thing. Wondering if your sinuses are clogged?

I have found a definite link to stress and tooth pain. Many times when something upsetting happens, I get jabs in my teeth, jaw, chin. So I am sure in my case it is TMS. Sarno also equates TMJ with TMS. Do you ever take anything when the pain starts, like Advil or aspirin and does it help, if so?
Go to Top of Page

MatthewNJ

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  07:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steffi71, I have had exactly as you describe '"on a tooth that had a root canal...has never felt totally "right"'. Although recenlty it feels fine. I trust my dentist and he says it is ok now. He has also told me that sometimes we injure our teeth/jaw (I grind too and wear a mouth guard at night) and they heal on their own in a few days. If the pain doesn't go away, I call or go see him. So, the fact that you have already seen your dentist, and he says your xrays are normal, it sounds like you have TMS. As far as not telling him about a symptom, I would suggest always telling your doc about your symptoms. It is ultimately your choice whether you follow up with any recommended treatments and /or get a second opinion.

In my case, my root canal was on a tooth that had been capped 20 years ago. I had slight pain for a few days just before I saw him for a routine cleaning. He x-rayed it. There was an infection starting at the root. He did the root canal and I feel he made an appropriate medical decision for my situation.

Good luck, you have succeeded with TMS before , you WILL succeed again!

Matthew
Less activated, more regulated and more resilient.
Ferretsx3@comcast.net

Organizer of TMSwiki.org/chat
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  11:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steffi, this link explains my thought process about my tooth issue that was the same as yours.

Susan mentions that it could be "atypical odontalgia", just pain that comes and goes. So add this to my list.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9118

To this date my tooth remains pain free, and my dentist has it on a "Root Canal watch".

Good Luck

I hope you are well Susan

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 04/24/2015 11:13:40
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  15:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, so nice of you to ask how I am. Not sure if you had read my cancer post some time ago...I have a type that rarely goes away but have not had chemo in a year and a half, just living from scan to scan and I am pretty sure chemo is in my future again due to one thing growing. However, I go on, function, laugh, have some semblance of life but still struggle with the problems I had before the cancer diagnosis...like this darn TMS!

The hard part is that now on top of regular TMS, I think every symptoms is the cancer coming back. I feel like it ruined my body forever. I wish I could go back to the time where it was "just" TMS and I basically had a normal disease free body. I wish I had appreciated it more and had taken better care of myself nutritionally.

But what's done is done and I am trying to eat the foods that disallow cancer from growing or at least help that process. I'll still be here posting my craziness as before :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000