TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Call Back
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  12:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call back.
Psychologically, “I’ll call you back” isn’t something you want to hear! People never seem to call me back. When I call them for the second time, I don’t want to offend them, so avoiding conflict I never ask them why they didn’t call me back, I called them for a good reason, I usually want something.

When people say “I’ll call you back”, sometimes they don’t mean it. What they really mean is: “yeah, I’ll call you back when I’m good and ready, or “you are not important enough”. Sometimes “I’ll call you back” can be interpreted as: “I don’t know “, and this means they will do the opposite of what they say, and never call you back.

Excuses for not calling back are equally annoying. Someone today told me: “they were out to lunch. “ This is a favorite in the work field and this message usually means: “ They don’t want to speak to you”. It is often said by a colleague, who may be sitting beside the person you are calling, who really is eating his lunch.

So when someone says to you: “ I’ll call you back”. Don’t believe them, and answer them with. “No, people never call me back, I’ll call you back”.

Update, just venting:
Once again, the company that inspired this post did not call me back! On the website they have one phone number with strict instructions: “ For orders only”. Arlene, the poor lady in sales is rather defensive, quite rightly so, she appears to be the companies "gatekeeper"! This company makes custom dome windows for RV’s, and unfortunately I have to use them. When my custom order is filled, do you think I should send them this post? Does anyone have some "patience" they can lend me?

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception

Edited by - andy64tms on 11/17/2015 12:46:35

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  23:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Andy, I've learned that "I'll call you back" are basically pretty meaningless words, and really don't have that expectation it will actually happen. If I want to talk to someone, I now just consider it my responsibility to do the follow-up. I don't take web site verbiage seriously, etc and generally I don't typically expect people to keep agreements, as they are often made very casually, or meant in the moment, only.

>So when someone says to you: “ I’ll call you back”. Don’t believe them, and answer them with. “No, people never call me back, I’ll call you back”.

I think it's fine to be proactive and just as you say, let people know you are more comfortable calling THEM back.

I think it's all about having "reasonable expectations" of other people so that we're not chronically enraged or disappointed ... and it seems in this day and age, we have to be pro-active and self-advocates if we want anything done. Then, if people DO keep their word, we can be pleasantly surprised.

Not sure if this helps, and I understand your frustration! It used to make me crazy and mad when even a good friend would do this, but now I realize it's just ? life !

~RSR
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2015 :  01:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't take it too personally Andy, few people today understand the intricacies of using this outdated invention of Alexander Graham Bell, the telephone. They prefer to pass notes in the form of texts like we used to do under the desk at school, hoping not to get caught by the teach. Or, perhaps they contract TMS/TMJ when forced to communicate orally.

Most companies today on the internet make it nearly impossible to phone "contact" them without much detective work to get a phone number. Maybe they fear having to hire someone to answer the phone to take an order for a purchase or making a constructive complaint about a product.

Here's a tip, if you want a phone number for a company in hiding, look for "Investor Relations" or "Media Contact" in their site map, they still want to sell stocks and talk to writers and reporters.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2015 :  10:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi both,

I was trying to bring some levity to an otherwise frustrating situation that has gone on for weeks and weeks; this issue involved my money and my RV project and was personal. Thank goodness I was able to vent here, I did not want to cut this supplier off.

In my role as a designer I had to deal with vendors on a daily basis where I sadly had to have rules to protect myself. I think some of those work experiences linger.

In retirement it is amazing how low my stress level is, even with my wife going through her 2nd knee replacement surgery I am able to deal with the ups and downs. So last night I did some yoga stretching had some hot chocolate and cuddled up to a warm body.

I befriended Arlene first thing this morning with: “Good morning Arlene, I want to place this order today.” I did not give her the chance to say: “I’ll call you back”.

Thanks for your comments.

Tom, this company had done a good job to hide the corp. tel #s, I found it under Better Business Bureau where the one complaint was, you can guess..

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000