TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Asthma, a TMS equivalent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  21:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have learned not to be quite as wordy as I used to. I am battling asthma after having pneumonia a few weeks ago. Was wondering if anyone has ever treated this as a TMS equivalent with any success? Of course, there is enormous stress on all fronts in my life right now..moving again, health, finances, etc. Hoping someone responds with something helpful or even just supportive. I could use both..:)

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  22:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - does doing your art work help you at all?
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  22:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Altherunner, Yes it does indeed! Creating a painting either for fun or because someone commissions me..both are very helpful on all levels. The trouble is that the past (over a year) I have been living where i am not allowed to paint! I am a caregiver for someone with Downs syndrome and Autism..and I also work part time as a music therapist in an assisted living facility..as well as doing my singing gigs..(although lately w/ the breathing issues I am holding off on singing)..So much creative energy is being repressed and not expressed..I am sure that is also making my symptoms worse!
Go to Top of Page

fredamir

87 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  11:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can certainly be a way of keeping you from doing too much and hinder your singing. Reminds me of a client with Chronic bronchitis. Here's her story as related in Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain:

"I received a call from Susan, an engineering professor who had been suffering for seven years from chronic bronchitis. She had been given a wide range of diagnoses and treatments, but nothing had worked. She coughed constantly. In the course of our conversation she had to stop several times, and she coughed so much that her whole face turned red.

This incessant coughing had made Susan’s life miserable. She was using a cortisone inhaler to keep the coughing under control. She told me that sometimes in the middle of a lecture she had to leave the classroom because of her cough. She had noticed that she did not cough when focused on a task or when exercising. However, she coughed afterward. The dust from the blackboard made her cough, although she was not allergic to it prior to her bronchitis. She had tried transcendental meditation, and it had helped a little.

Since she had had this condition for seven years, I suspected she had a clue to its real cause. So I asked her, “What do you think is the cause of your chronic cough?”

“Do you want me to tell you what doctors have told me?”
I said, “No. I want to know what you think is the cause.”
“I feel like I am carrying the whole world on my shoulders, and that is what is causing my cough!” she responded.

Well, it did not take much explaining on my part to help her realize that tension was the cause of her cough. I helped Susan design her own rapid recovery plan...And did it work! The first day she did not cough for an entire hour, and she continued to improve as planned. However, on the day her son was taking the dental school entrance exam she coughed more than before. She realized that even though she did not think she felt especially anxious about the exam, in fact it was creating enough anxiety and tension to make her cough. Susan continued on the plan and recovered completely. She recovered so well that she was no longer allergic to the blackboard dust, either.

I wondered why she had developed a cough in response to tension. Unlike others whose backs or hands are the focus of their work, as a professor she used her voice on the job. So tension manifested itself in a way that affected her voice, as a chronic cough!"

Fred Amir
www.rapidrecovery.net
Live Pain-Free and Achieve Optimum Health
http://rapidrecoverybook.wix.com/livepainfree
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  16:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I believe it to always be an equivalent. Just bc something is tms does not mean it cannot cripple or kill you. That means take meds if need be but work on the real cause. The only way is through acceptance on what is going on in your life. You'll be ok I'm sure, just keep reminding you self to accept.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000