TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 levator ani syndrome phycological

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alfaman147 Posted - 10/10/2014 : 10:30:06
Hey guys, haven't posted for a while. Still having the old ass pressure pain. I know it's psychological. My rectum feels like it's gonna fall out. Getting twitches down there. It's there all day and the only thing that helps it is alcohol haha. Just started to see a cbt therapist. Had this issue for nearly 5years. I'm a 31 year old male. I get huge relief if I stick a finger in my bum. Have been seeing a pelvic floor therapist but my cbt therapist says I should stop going as it is just reinforcing my focus on the area. Any other people out there with this problem. Oh I also get thin stools now and again but I assume it's due to tension. Had loads of scans and tests and all are ok
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alfaman147 Posted - 08/24/2016 : 10:18:11
Helpful thanks tom haha
tennis tom Posted - 08/24/2016 : 09:18:30
quote:
Originally posted by alfaman147

My girlfriend wants to go away for a few days but I don't want to because of this pain. I'm worried it will be bad. She says I'm selfish. What do I do

Get a new girlfriend.
alfaman147 Posted - 08/24/2016 : 05:06:48
My girlfriend wants to go away for a few days but I don't want to because of this pain. I'm worried it will be bad. She says I'm selfish. What do I do
alfaman147 Posted - 08/24/2016 : 05:05:39
Hey all. I haven't been on here for over 12 months. I have had no symptoms at all but it has come back. Arrgghhh I'm devistated. I felt it building pressure a few days ago and kept thinking about it. Worse mistake ever
Om Sharma Posted - 01/12/2016 : 20:09:00
Mr. Tennis
I am not a doctor , I am just an ordinary patient like all others.
It seems that you are making some kind of humour by saying about consuming garlic, coffee and alcohol together. I think it means you have quite good knowledge about homeopathy that is why you are asking that like questions but all right . As homeopathy has no side effects at all so ....you can try 'carbo veg 30'and nux vomica 30, Five drops, three times each for three days.
By the way garlic, coffee, raw onion, alcohol, pipermint and tobacco are contradictions in homeopathy so during homeopathy treatment one should avoid these things for a better and efficient result.
Om Sharma Posted - 01/12/2016 : 17:55:02
I didn't took the remedy in a form of sugar pills but I took it directly in diluted liquid form, five drops at a time. The remedy was nux vomica, Ruta and nitric acid , all in different potencies and different doses. Beside alopathy t;here is a wide range of remedies in homeopathy for a same problem according to symptoms and patient's personality so be aware of this that one must not take any medicine without the consultation of a
There is no problem to find a homeopath in any region of India. You can find a good one homeopathic doctors in government hospitals also or as a private practitioner. You will have to inquiry at local level .
tennis tom Posted - 01/12/2016 : 12:11:22
Congratulations on your cure, pain in the rectal treasure chest can definitely be a pain in the ass. I'm going to Whole Foods this afternoon, which sugar pill in the homeopathy aisle should I purchase?

Glad to hear that Dr. Sarno's TMS theory was able to cure you! Fortunately, I have no problem in that department. I imbibe a concoction of garlic, coffee and alcohol (Pimm's Cup #1), before going to bed and it does the trick everytime.

I may be going to the Iyengar Center in Pune someday, is there a homeopath you recommend in that area of India?
Om Sharma Posted - 01/12/2016 : 09:03:50

I belong to a small town from India, I had hemorrhoid dectomy in April 2014 and since then I am continuously suffering from terrible constant rectal pain and extreme straining bowel movement . Sitting, walking, Everythig became impossible for me. Every time, every Dr. Declaired it notthing except mere constipation. I lost all hopes in my life.
Then I determined to diagnosis and to cure this problem myself own. After too much hunting efforts , at last I come to knew that I am a victim of Levator ani syndrome and I was not alone and unique . it is almost an incurable disorder.
I read a lot of about this syndrome on the net and the dr. Sarno. I tried almost every remedy/therepy suggested by anyone but all in vain, the results were only temporary.
Then by co-incident I come in touch with homoepathy treatment and rest is rest now.
I asure everyone, one who is suffering from this levator ani syndrome or the rectal spasm problem, must seek some expert homeopath and got proper treatment . Homeopathy definitely cures it from its root level permanently.
It is absolutely efficient and almost cost for nothing.
glowgirl Posted - 06/17/2015 : 21:15:30
I am having the same problem. Oddly enough, the TMS message is starting to sink in, i am letting it in finally.

At the same time i am seeing a PT who is very skilled.

The combo seems to be helping. Not sure which one is doing the job.

My plan is to keep allowing the TMS info to seep in and see the PT just as long as I need to and then do self massage when i feel the need.

Is this crazy or does this make sense?
alfaman147 Posted - 02/18/2015 : 11:19:54
Did any of you get like a dull ache around the testicle and the bit between ur anus and genitals? I can't describe it really. Sort of tingles and then aches a bit and then goes off. Basically it jumps all around my whole pelvic area. Tailbone, anus and perenium. It's bizarre how tms can do this.
donnroc Posted - 02/12/2015 : 21:56:26
I had a lot of problems similar to yours...some embarrassing moments with a doctor and his hot nurse....yikes !!!

After mentally reviewing the Sarno material which I have read numerous times, and was able to overcome many physical issues, I realized, Sarno said, TMS loves muscles and tendons. The levator muscle, is a muscle !
I started doing my TMS mental regimen and BINGO ! Gone .......

TMS is a tricky Bugger
forkstale Posted - 02/10/2015 : 19:00:31
it has manifested in that way for me but no usually. It comes in many forms. Usually it's either pain sitting down like I've sat on a bike all day. Or it feels like the type of nerves in your stomache before an examn, but then in the anal region. Odd.
alfaman147 Posted - 02/02/2015 : 06:42:54
Forkstale, did you have the feeling of there being a foreign object up there? I find that it feels like there is a huge poop in there. If I pass gas it eases off and having a bowel movement helps ease it slightly. It's like my body over exaggerates the need to have a bowel movement. I am learning to live with it to be honest because I know it's psychological. I don't have any issues when I'm asleep or drunk. I'm the same as you. I wake up fine and then the pressure builds. It's gone when I'm on holiday or relaxed. Deffo made worse by stress and just thinking about it.
forkstale Posted - 01/29/2015 : 12:10:19
Yes this is the same for me. I guess it's common for anyone to have a bit of pain in that area after a problematic stool, but for us it triggers all alarm bells and focuses the attention back to the dreaded area. The actual pain goes away, but the brain lingers and keeps on sending alarm signals. Very often they go all the way through my leg, even, always on that side.

It's a big challenge to condition the mind to stay away from to the region. It seems you're having the right attitude though. I don't think there's anything else you can really do about it.
alfaman147 Posted - 01/28/2015 : 12:24:04
Wow, thanks forkstale that post really spoke to me. I'm glad to find someone else who has this issue. The funny thing is that I was completely fine for the last month or so. Just had a bit of an ache in the tailbone when I had been sitting down too long. But last Friday I had the diarrhea and my rectum started to ache again. Monday and Tuesday the ache seemed to be in my tailbone and lower back but today it's back up inside of me. But hey Ho I have been through this so many times before and I guess it's normal to have the odd flare up. I suppose as soon as I felt an ache I was focused on the problem again. But I know there are times when I'm fine so it can't be anything nasty and the fact I'm fine when I'm asleep must confirm this. I really do feel like my whole pelvic area is super tight. I guess the muscles are on high alert thinking I'm ill again. But thanks guys for the comments. I was hoping I wouldn't be needing this website again but hey Ho. I'm not going to Google or touch the area or feel sorry for myself. If I carry on as normal I will forget it again for a while.
tennis tom Posted - 01/25/2015 : 20:23:12
quote:
Originally posted by forkstale

The only thing that 'cured' it for a long time for me was falling in love and getting involved with a woman. Unfortunately she lives far away so we can only see each other on and off for a few weeks/months at a time.

Good post Forkstale! Yes, Dr. Sarno says love cures TMS. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Cheers,
tt

forkstale Posted - 01/25/2015 : 13:50:17
Hi Alfaman,
a little late to this thread but I was brushing up on my TMS and found this.

I can assure with pretty big confidence that I've been suffering from the same condition as you - anything you've said could have been me. The pain moves around and there's no position or whatever that lessens it: only sleep and alcohol. Also, another disease (like the flue or something) or anxiety takes it away.

I've developed this in 2011 (I think a painful hemorrhoid brought this on; it made me very aware of the region and I must have tensed up) and it has been quite an obsession since then.

The only thing that 'cured' it for a long time for me was falling in love and getting involved with a woman. Unfortunately she lives far away so we can only see each other on and off for a few weeks/months at a time.
Interestingly I have -only- had this pressure pain in the anal region when I'm alone.
I just seem to have more time to let it slip back in my mind. I wake up feeling fine but then the first thought is "how's the pressure pain" and within minutes it's back. This is very convincing evidence to me that the pain is the result of a bad communication of the mind with the body.

Distraction is everything with this. It's very hard to let it go and I have a pretty hard time getting there by myself but it's a comforting thought in a way.

I have had a multitude of testing and also went to a pelvic PT. It didn't help because I think it made me focus more and more on it. Actively trying to relax doesn't work.

If you haven't already, I can recommend the book "A headache in the pelvis". You'll find it will really speak to you and there's a ton of valuable information in there that coincides with the information found on this site .
Of course reading literature about your affliction goes a little against the "try to forget about it" approach but I do think there's something to be said for helpful information. So, read it, and then try to forget about it and act like everything is normal.
I know, it's hard, I've tossed and turned all night feeling like I was wearing a super tight belt inside my pelvis so I'm not there either. But I know there's salvation somewhere out there.

All the best

andy64tms Posted - 10/15/2014 : 14:46:57
Hi Alf,

You didn’t comment on my diet and exercise ideas, so I assume these are not related.

The area you are discussing and ani levator syndrome seems to me to be extremely psychological in nature, for it is one area of the body that is controlled by the exchanging of both subconscious and conscious thoughts. Compare this to the pancreas or liver that under normal circumstances function without any conscious thought activity.

Imagine 100 people on an airplane taking off, 20 percent have the urge to go to the restroom, but are unable to do so. Possibly, this increases to 10 percent on take-off with the anxiety of flight taking effect. Now 30 percent have had the conscious message: “Not now, it is inconvenient.” Your intestines receive this message and temporary revert to the subconscious mode they are used to and relax. So in this way levator ani may be tied to anxiety, (fright of flight) or the basic emotional fear of not being able to get to a restroom.

For those of us unfortunate enough to have had untimely digestive accidents, stomach gripes or past emotional difficulties in this area we should be pleased to understand that this indeed would be a prime target for TMS.

I have not dealt with levator ani on a personal level, but surely understand your distress. Good luck.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
alfaman147 Posted - 10/12/2014 : 09:47:43
Yes thanks tennis Tom. I emailed the therapist in Stratford upon Avon. I'm still baffled by this whole tms thing. I always knew it was caused by or made worse with stress and anxiety. I have had other anxiety symptoms in the past such as dizziness and extreme fatigue. Also felt like I was unable to get a good lung full of air. When I was dealing with these issues I did not notice my anal sphincter tension. It's just hard to find people who understand. I suppose it's hard for someone to understand if they haven't dealt with it themselves. Surely a serious problem would not come and go and and dissappear when I'm asleep or on holiday. The thin stools freak me out but if had this problem for so long that if I had cancer or something like that I would be dead by now
tennis tom Posted - 10/12/2014 : 09:23:59
Your pain spot is doing it's TMS job admirably of distracting you. TMS theory says to find a more positive distraction activity that won't be emotionally troubling. Did you notice the list of TMS practitioners I gave you in the UK? It does sound like the one you have does understand it when he?she tells you to STOP doing the physical stuff.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford:

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000