TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Knee input appreciated!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marytabby Posted - 01/12/2016 : 06:59:38
Hello everyone and happy new year.
I am hoping to hear from anyone on this post, including knee TMS'ers.
In May I started having excruciating pain in my knee doing stairs. Of course I immediately assumed TMS and when it was persisting and swelled I had an MRI just to be sure I hadn't torn something. MRI showed cartilage wearing of the kneecap. Knee doctor suggested an injection in the knee which I did just to take the edge off, regardless of whether it was TMS or not. I needed relief, and it worked for 3 weeks than didn't. Since May I have had pain not just in the kneecap doing stairs anymore, but also on behind the knee, and also on both sides of the knee with swelling. 8 months of this, I won't lie, I am really in a lot of discomfort and feel like I'm just getting worse instead of better. I had a Skype session with Marc Sopher in August and he said treat it as TMS. I have continued physical activity and am trying to stay in the TMS realm but this will not give up. I've done lots of journaling, self-talk. I know how to do this. If it is TMS, it's not giving up this time. Can anyone offer any similar experience and how you ended up having success? I appreciate all input because I am feeling stuck!
Thank you all!!
Mary in Cold Boston
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 01/12/2016 : 16:03:10
Thanks MT!
marytabby Posted - 01/12/2016 : 12:53:39
Tom,
Yes, I have looked at that list of stressors. Nothing comes to mind at all. My session with Sopher was a 30 minute Skype session. $300. He wasn't really that informational, just said "it's TMS", there, accept it. Really, it was that simply stated. I needed a bit more of reassurance but didn't get much.
tennis tom Posted - 01/12/2016 : 12:23:56
From a TMS perspective have you looked at your life stressors on the Rahe-Holmes? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Before having anything invasive like surgery, google "failed knee surgery". I had a knee once, but it went away, now I only have a pain in the butt, these days I'm sticking with the pain I know.

Can you tell us more about your experience with Dr. Sopher? I've been thinking about sending him my x-rays. I read his book years ago and like the picture on the cover of him running, and he was also the captain of his tennis team at Princeton I believe so I feel he knows the body from an athlete's perspective.

G'luck!

edit: He was captain of the William's College tennis team. His bio on the back cover of his book said he'd done seven maratons, he's up to sixteen now. Here's a more current bio for Marc Sopher, M.D. :

http://www.tms-mindbodymedicine.com/bio.htm

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000