TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Knee input appreciated!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  06:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone and happy new year.
I am hoping to hear from anyone on this post, including knee TMS'ers.
In May I started having excruciating pain in my knee doing stairs. Of course I immediately assumed TMS and when it was persisting and swelled I had an MRI just to be sure I hadn't torn something. MRI showed cartilage wearing of the kneecap. Knee doctor suggested an injection in the knee which I did just to take the edge off, regardless of whether it was TMS or not. I needed relief, and it worked for 3 weeks than didn't. Since May I have had pain not just in the kneecap doing stairs anymore, but also on behind the knee, and also on both sides of the knee with swelling. 8 months of this, I won't lie, I am really in a lot of discomfort and feel like I'm just getting worse instead of better. I had a Skype session with Marc Sopher in August and he said treat it as TMS. I have continued physical activity and am trying to stay in the TMS realm but this will not give up. I've done lots of journaling, self-talk. I know how to do this. If it is TMS, it's not giving up this time. Can anyone offer any similar experience and how you ended up having success? I appreciate all input because I am feeling stuck!
Thank you all!!
Mary in Cold Boston

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  12:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From a TMS perspective have you looked at your life stressors on the Rahe-Holmes? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Before having anything invasive like surgery, google "failed knee surgery". I had a knee once, but it went away, now I only have a pain in the butt, these days I'm sticking with the pain I know.

Can you tell us more about your experience with Dr. Sopher? I've been thinking about sending him my x-rays. I read his book years ago and like the picture on the cover of him running, and he was also the captain of his tennis team at Princeton I believe so I feel he knows the body from an athlete's perspective.

G'luck!

edit: He was captain of the William's College tennis team. His bio on the back cover of his book said he'd done seven maratons, he's up to sixteen now. Here's a more current bio for Marc Sopher, M.D. :

http://www.tms-mindbodymedicine.com/bio.htm

Edited by - tennis tom on 01/12/2016 12:39:29
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  12:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
Yes, I have looked at that list of stressors. Nothing comes to mind at all. My session with Sopher was a 30 minute Skype session. $300. He wasn't really that informational, just said "it's TMS", there, accept it. Really, it was that simply stated. I needed a bit more of reassurance but didn't get much.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  16:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks MT!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page