TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 East/West
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karkar892

4 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  12:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I just finished reading Sarno's Mind-Body. He mentions that TMS is a normal part of life in Western Society.

I practice yoga so I've been learning more about the Eastern mind. But I'm curious what others make of this.

Why don't some cultures suffer from TMS? If you are born human you have an ego right? Do Easterners not have rage buried in their ego? It's my understanding that Easterners recognize that the egoic self is different from the divine Self, but I don't understand why that would necessarily prevent the development of rage.

I guess what I'm ultimately getting at is the question of whether or not my yoga, meditation, and spiritual studies can somehow free me from my TMS?

Thoughts and feels?

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  19:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, there was a person on the site named Mala that did yoga but still suffered from tms. You could look up her posts and maybe contact her.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  20:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People in third world cultures don't get TMS because they don't have the surplus time on their hands--or wrists--to repress and suppress their angry thoughts, they ar too busy trying to survive. East Indians that I've known in the US are just as neurotic, if not more so then, and get TMS physical and affective emotional symptoms like anxiety. There's probably more Yoga done in Calif. then in India. Dr. Sarno said African-Americans don't generally get TMS.

I would say Yoga, etc. would not necessarily free you from TMS symptoms. My two triggers for my hip arthritis were from Yoga postures, and not tournament tennis or running thirteen marathons. During a Yoga class years ago, the guru said that the head of the Berkeley Zen Center had "back problems". So, Yoga postures may not prevent TMS, and may trigger them, and meditation may IMHO allow for more time to ruminate on the pain.

Perhaps, if one has a well balanced life and also practices the other seven limbs of Yoga besides the asana, they may be less susceptible to TMS. I think having conscious knowledge of how TMS/psychosomatic dis-ease operates is a more direct route to overcoming symptoms. And, participating in all the fun activities that the Western lifestyle has created, might be more distracting in a positive way then hanging around an ashram, unless it had tennis and golf.
Go to Top of Page

Om Sharma

India
17 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  22:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am agree with Mr. Tennis tom , some times yoga and physical exercise triggers the symptoms so it is not a all time solution but I think meditation is one thing which will be definitely positive in TMS. TMS is mostly related to ligaments, nerves, fibers and muscles . I am not a rival of alopathy but in fact alopathy has the only solution for these all problems and that is only surgery and surgery .I have gone through all its aspects and suffered a lot , all is a waste of money and health.

Once try Homeopathy , it has a lot of various remedies to cure nerves, ligament and muscles related disorders for 200 years without any side effects.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000