TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS Forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

almost there

109 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  12:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What has happened to this Forum?
This was always my go to place when things started going off track....
just reading the different posts was comforting and reassuring
Now there are hardly any contributors.......sad!

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  00:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've wondered that myself. I check in on occasion but rarely post, this board used to be way more active.

Is it a case of:

1) The people who used to post resolved their issues and there's nothing really left to discuss.

2) Maybe some people were unsuccessful and tried other approaches.

3) Is there another forum people have migrated to.

My own situation generally falls under 1). Not that everything is permanently "fixed" but I get less wound up about TMS type symptoms now and they tend to resolve quicker than in the past. I still am a true believer.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  07:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by weatherman

3) Is there another forum people have migrated to.

I would guess answer #3.
Go to Top of Page

almost there

109 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  07:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are both probably right....
Maybe Dr. Sarno retiring also has contributed....
Hard to believe however since I feel most people experiencing
pain or some other kind of unexplained misery find themselves here
after visiting every doctor available.....with no answers and no relief!
Tennis Tom.....I think you may have been here since the very beginning..
Weatherman.....not far behind!
Go to Top of Page

Sam908

70 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  04:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, some folks have gone over to the other forum; however, I think they'll be back here, as that forum has become hijacked by people with a certain political bias, which I believe will turn off some of the participants. All in all, the quality of the threads here has been better than at the other place, so I hope that in the near future, activity will pick up here.
Go to Top of Page

almost there

109 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  08:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do I! This Forum was always strictly TMS as described by Dr. Sarno
When the threads went off course the moderator would remind everyone
that this is about TMS and nothing else......I for one would feel very bad if this were to disappear
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  14:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't really checked out the other forum, but Sam908 makes a great general observation. I am a huge football fan, unfortunately the political proselytizing happens even on the sports sites. Half the posts are people slamming Obama, Trump or whoever. If I want to read that stuff I can go to a political site.

Go to Top of Page

Sam908

70 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  16:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, it seems to me that to heal from TMS, one is best served by taking the original, simple-but-not easy approach of Dr. Sarno. However, on the other forum, much space has been taken up lately by New Age notions and nostrums and the emphasis has been on empathy, sympathy, and commiseration - - which, as I recall Dr. Sarno writing, will inhibit or prolong healing. I think that William James would label the former approach as "tough minded" and the latter as "tender minded."
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  12:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam908

Steve, it seems to me that to heal from TMS, one is best served by taking the original, simple-but-not easy approach of Dr. Sarno. However, on the other forum, much space has been taken up lately by New Age notions and nostrums and the emphasis has been on empathy, sympathy, and commiseration - - which, as I recall Dr. Sarno writing, will inhibit or prolong healing. I think that William James would label the former approach as "tough minded" and the latter as "tender minded."

Very insightful post Sam! Yes, if folks stick to Dr. Sarno's simple theory--that may be emotionally hard to implement depending on one's personal history they will heal. I believe any one of the Good Doctor's books, including his first little tome, "MIND OVER BACK PAIN", will provide all that is necessary for the change of mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Sam908

I think that William James would label the former approach as "tough minded" and the latter as "tender minded."

Yes, "tough love" versus "enabling".

I believe William James was the brother of Henry James, the great English writer.

Cheers,
tt

Edited by - tennis tom on 02/02/2017 12:33:42
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  00:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, TMS has to be treated with tough love. Trying to be coddling, understanding etc. toward it only encourages it in my experience. Provided that a DX shows there is no real injury. (And be very wary of any diagnosis ending in "itis" or that mentions "microtears" or similar things that can't be objectively seen). Just my opinion, I'm a weatherman not a doctor.

Wasn't it Howard Beale in the movie "Network" that said "I'm madder than hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"? I think that's the spirit!

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  01:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by weatherman

Yes, TMS has to be treated with tough love. Trying to be coddling, understanding etc. toward it only encourages it in my experience.

...Wasn't it Howard Beale in the movie "Network" that said "I'm madder than hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"? I think that's the spirit!

Yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

Edited by - tennis tom on 02/03/2017 01:25:52
Go to Top of Page

theohiostateq

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  12:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent a little time on a facebook tms site a while back, and when I mentioned that I had not improved, I got attacked by bunch of people, including a moderator who private-messaged me that my negativity wasn't helping anyone.

He did say that he could personally help me (for a cost.)

I have tried to get rid of this R side sciatica for 4 years now. I've even seen a tms doc, who was enormously helpful and encouraging, and who I don't regret seeing for a second.

Still, the sciatica has not changed, other than picking up drop foot a few months ago. I can, and do, live with it, and I do get relief when I sit and lie down. It could be worse.

At this point, it's my life, and life is certainly worth far more than the struggles presented to me.

For those who have had success, I applaud you. For the others, I wish you the best.

Time to swim.

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  18:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theohiostateq

He did say that he could personally help me (for a cost.)

...Time to swim.

What was he charging?

I'm going for a swim too, it helps a lot to keep the muscles in tone and keeps the spirits up.

G'luck!
tt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000