TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS and loved ones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  21:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a lonnnnng time since ive been on this forum. Good to see a few familiar names, looks a bit less active than it once was.

I know this topic has been brought up in the past, but never paid much attention since it didn't personally affect me. Any advice on how to deal with a loved one who is unable to see the psychosomatic origin of their chronic pain?

My girlfriend could be the poster child for TMS. She has severe hip pain that she attributes to an unstable SI joint that was twisted in a car accident a few years back. She obsesses over every nerve and tendon, and is convinced certain very minor movements put her in a severe pain state. She also suffers from a number of equivalents. The amount of stressors in her life is monumental, I think if I had that much to deal with id be dead already. I tried to politely describe my own experience with TMS (sciatica and how I cured it with Sarno's help) and explain how stress/repressed emotions can not only contribute but also cause pain, but while she accepts the former she is completely resolute that the cause of her pain is a physical imbalance. She takes massive amounts of pain killers and it kills me to watch her do everything that contributes to persistent TMS/AOS type problems. Of course she is very defensive to my suggestions, since she has had so many people give her advice on how to deal with her pain issues. I worry about this being a source of friction between us.

Anyone with experience on how to deal with a partner like this??

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  21:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey stanfr,

All you can do is let your GF know you love her, and, even though she doesnt have to if she doesnt want to, your Dr. Sarno books are over there if she decides to read them.

Take care, -Stryder ///
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  17:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah that's pretty much the conclusion I came to, thanks Stryder. It sucks but there's no magic solution
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  07:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every female who I have ever pissed off begins rubbing their shoulder and neck. I must be a huge TMS causer, because the body language is so familiar (LOL)

I pass out copies of HBP. I commiserate vaguely like 'Oh... that sucks'... But painful experience has taught me to take it easy. I am NOT Sarno... I am one of his patients. All we can do is point them in the right direction. Since '99 when I got better a whole slew of writers has concurred with Sarno, however only Sarno gives us concrete instructions on how to beat this thing..... I think some people would rather have their pain than look at the 'scary' anger and truth of their life.

"I'd rather do a gram than give a damn" -Huxley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000