TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Disorientation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wilf

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  22:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been getting these strange episodes of disorientation or light-headedness on an irregular basis. They can be more or less intense and last anywhere from less than a minute to several hours. They come and go. It is very difficult to describe, other than the fact that my eyes do not seem to focus and I have a feeling that something is wrong. I have been to several doctors, had numerous tests and, no diagnosis and, obviously, no cure. One Doctor friend advised me to go to Emergency the next time it happened because there was a possibility that I could be having minor strokes. A few weeks back, I did go to the Emergency. A pile of tests, including a CT scan of my Brain and everything normal. Has anyone had a similar experience. Could this be another manifestation of TMS?

healingfromchronicpain

10 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  22:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure, but I sometimes have a disorientation thing happen when I'm driving. It doesn't happen often, but is very scary when it does. It's usually when I drive for more than 45 min or an hour, particularly when I'm in an unfamiliar place. Its like when I have to concentrate more, or when I'm confused about my surroundings, my brain starts to shut down. It's like I'm losing cognitive ability. It's like my brain starts to go numb and I can't figure out how to operate the car anymore. Sometimes I've had to stop driving and close my eyes and take a nap to get back to normal.

I went to a neurologist and had tests done and all was "normal."

I feel it's TMS or anxiety (same thing). As I was doing work with a somatic experiencing and EMDR therapist on my past traumas, I related the disorientation to feeling vulnerable, confused#8203;, and unsafe. Like when I was traumatized as a child and I couldn't handle what was happening to me at the time, and I go numb and my mind shuts down.

I still don't know how to prevent it, but I try to tell myself I'm safe and I'm fine. And so far I'm managing ok. But I still try to avoid long drives because it's still unpredictable for me.

My more common issue is neck pain, but this disorientation stuff started in 2011--about 6 years into my neck pain journey. (On my website that describes my pain journey-- http://www.healingfromchronicpain.com--I describe a little about the disorientation under "somatic experiencing" on my website, which is what helped me make the possible connection between my trauma and my disorientation. http://www.healingfromchronicpain.com/somatic-experiencing.html

So those were a lot of words to say, in my case, I think it is trauma/anxiety/TMS that causes my disorientation.

Healingfromchronicpain
(My story and journey are described at www.healingfromchronicpain.com)
Go to Top of Page

DontStopBelieving

6 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  07:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wilf,

I think TMS can present itself in so many different ways and can vary from person to person. In my post, Vertigo, lightheaded, nausea, panic attacks and co, I described what has been happening to me in the last 3 months and there has been light-headedness as well. My opinion is that it all sources from the neck and upper back (do you have any pain or discomfort in that area?). It doesn't even have to be pain, at least not for me, but a strange feeling. Maybe you are getting to the point where your brain is conditioning the symptoms to a certain situation or event. Have your read any books about TMS?
Go to Top of Page

Wilf

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  15:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have neck pain. I have been considering it to be TMS, because it comes and goes and I totally ignore it.

Another interesting element in this is the fact that I have Atrial Fibrillation (A-Fib)and a Pacemaker. I have a sister-in-law who also has had A-Fib for over 20 years. She gets the same type of "episodes" as I do, only with a rapid heart rate. I never get a rapid heart rate; in fact, I had a low heart rate and that is why I have a pacemaker. My "episodes" used to be very few and far between and of very short duration. It is only in the last few months that they have been more frequent, more intense and of longer duration: up to several hours. Unfortunately, my Cardiologist has retired and I cannot get to see a new one for another 3 months. So, I am not too sure if any of this is attributable to my Heart.

Thanks for your input. It is interesting that TMS is relentless and will find another way to distract.
Go to Top of Page

DontStopBelieving

6 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  13:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well in that case the safest thing is to have it checked, as you are going to do (but a wait of 3 months can get you frustrated). However, while reading Dr. Sarno's books recently, I couldn't help but notice that TMS uses locations on our bodies that we feel weaker on, like injuries, operation locations and similar. So maybe that is why you have it connected with your heart. I have been having so many different symptoms in the past 2 weeks is almost ridiculous. Besides the dizziness or nausea I would feel my heart beating in the back of my head, in my chest or legs. Pain would move from neck to middle back to legs. I also had trembling hands. I feel like I can't settle down. Maybe it is my brain fighting the fact that I am fighting back or maybe I just need to let it all go and ignore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000