TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Vertigo, lightheaded, nausea, panic attacks and co
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DontStopBelieving

6 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  05:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where to start… well first of all I wanted to share my story with you because I thought it may help somebody else. It started 3 months ago, I had an episode of some sort of vertigo, but I don't think it was the real vertigo, nausea, the back of my head being to heavy for my neck, and waves of dizziness so harsh that I couldn't work. I also had feelings of weak legs and arms, stomach pain. One night the room started spinning and after a week of this I went to the doctors. Because of stomach pain the doctor gave me some anti-acid pills and sent me home. It didn't improve but became worse. I went back and explained my feelings in detail, the doctor said it was benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, gave me some other pills and said it was going to go away. In the meantime I had bad days and good days, the pills must have had some kind of placebo effect. I also have to mention that all this time I had at least one cold per month since August 2016 with the last one in March 2017 that I couldn't recover from so the doctor gave me antibiotics. The mixture of all the above must have made me really anxious and panicky (I thought I was never ever going to feel better) and I started having panic/anxious attacks so that I didn't want to leave the house. My stomach would close up and I couldn't eat at all. Just the thought of food made the nausea worse. I went back to the doctor for help, she gave me antidepressants, the worst experience of my life because my symptoms intensified after a few days of taking them. I went back and told her that I’m done with pills. That was a few weeks ago.
I had TMS in my life before, 4 years ago, IBS, lower back pain, leg pain, my stomach pain came and went as it pleased but I somehow couldn't believe this was also TMS. I correspond to the personalities Dr. Sarno described in his books but this time the symptoms were so severe I freaked out and I never experienced anything like this before. My life is pretty stressful, just in the last 5 years I moved from country to country, changed jobs and amounts of responsibilities at work, starting from zero every time, and feeling tired of the fight for survival. My current job includes travelling and I was so afraid I will not feel good enough to travel that I started thinking of excuses to use so I don't have to go. The first trip a few weeks ago was horrible, I felt all the symptoms again, but I didn't want to give up. The last trip was last week and I managed to go thought it with almost no symptoms. I started reading Dr. Sarno books ago before the trip and practising yoga to calm me down. I also bought the audio book Hope & Help for your nerves by Claire Weekes. It made me more confident to confront all the fears developed from the state and gave me hope.
I’m still fighting this, but am eating normal again, haven't had a panic attack for a while now and the dizziness has reduced. I think my mistakes when fighting TMS in the past were stopping reading Dr. Sarno the second I felt better and forgetting how everyday life affects me. I’m trying to change that.
Please share your experiences and advice, they are very much appreciated.

Thanks.

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  08:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
duplicate post deleted

Edited by - tennis tom on 05/01/2017 08:20:48
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  08:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D.S.B. said : "...went back to the doctor for help, she gave me antidepressants, the worst experience of my life because my symptoms intensified after a few days of taking them. I went back and told her that I’m done with pills."

I had a similar experience when my doc rx'ed lexapro for my well deserved depression a few years back. I took Librium for a short term previously 50 years ago, to get through a rough patch and it worked fine, settled my nerves so I could focus and function. I think my doc got it wrong thinking I needed pepping up but I needed settling down--my theory--some people swear by lexies but they resulted in a midnight run to the ER with a panic attack.

Our sub-c's don't like changes in our homeostasis--our comfort zone. with all your moves and travelling, your sub-c was probably rebelling giving you TMS for a protector/defense mechanism.

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have a handle on it. Keep reading your Sarno.

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

[/quote]

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Edited by - tennis tom on 05/01/2017 08:18:52
Go to Top of Page

DontStopBelieving

6 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  08:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tennis Tom,

thanks for the welcome. There are other things that may have affected my situation, the list is very long, and when I analysed the events in my life that resulted in strange TMS states a pattern came out: I usually get them when things settle down, like 3 months afterwards. Pills don't really agree with my body in general, I can't take most of the painkillers because I usually get side effects. The doctor knew this but went ahead anyway. I turned to natural remedies and have been using valerian roots capsules from a local store. I don't know if it is them or me, but I feel better. The one thing I can't seem to get rid of is the feeling of my heart beating in the back of my head or in my chest or legs. It starts when I lay down to sleep or on the sofa to watch a movie. I think it must be all connected but still find myself in moments of doubt and fear. Today is one of those days and as much as I try to have a normal day, it is hard to not fight the symptoms or try to make them go away.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  18:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Lordy,

I just wrote a long reply which got deleted when I was told to log in. Why does the darn window open up and let you type if you’re not signed in? Aaaarrrgh (conscious rage!).

I was saying... ME TOO! I’ve had those symptoms. They went away and are back a bit. My friend is dying — best friend for 40 years, like my only family member.

The dizziness is hard to ignore and work through. I try to walk in nature. I also practice some quite extreme balance work when doing my weight training, so I’m oddly very centered and balanced even though these waves move through me.

I believe it’s TMS. It’s a bugger, though. I hate the way it changes form. But then again, I love the way it changes form, because that’s how I know it’s not real.

Love to ya

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

DontStopBelieving

6 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  10:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Wavy Soul,

thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and am sending you my support. Your TMS must be trying to protect you. I think your sentence "But then again, I love the way it changes form, because that’s how I know it’s not real. " says it all about TMS. It is just hard to deal with it sometimes, isn't it? Especially with something like waves of vertigo and dizziness. One of the most horrible experiences for me.

I hope you find strength for this difficult time of your life.

Go to Top of Page

DontStopBelieving

6 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  07:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well there it is, after I managed to almost get rid of all the symptoms, the unbearable pressure in my head is back. it fills like two rocks are squeezing my head together. My neck feels weak and it is just hard to think of anything else or focus on anything. Please help with advice. I was in the middle of PMS when it all started so am thinking that it has something to do with it but I'm going into panic mode. Last time this led to terrible panic/anxiety attacks. My eyes hurt when I look towards the sky and I'm going crazy. Please help. Is it normal to have such a harsh setback?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000