TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 my TMS history
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jared

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  13:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey all, i haven't posted in probably about two years. just wanted to encourage those who continue to suffer from TMS. I'm 26 now. at 22, i began to have pain from using the computer. i was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. i was sent to get nerve conduction testing with a neurosurgeon. nothing was found wrong with my arms and i was slapped in the face with a $1700 bill for 30mins of the doctor's precious time!

for two years afterward, i suffered debilitating wrist, hand, arm, shoulder and neck problems, with burning, tingling, numbess and aching. i got steroid shots in my shoulder. nothing. i went to the chiropractor for a few months. this alleviated some neck pain, but still my hands showed no improvement. i was unemployed and all i did all day was think about the pain. i read several carpal tunnel books. no help at all.

finally, after over two years of suffering, i found the Mindbody Prescription by Dr. Sarno. for six months, i committed to stop thinking about the pain and to focus on my life and emotional well-being as suggested in the book. after six months, i felt about 70percent better.

about a year after reading Sarno's book, i found work as a video game tester! i used my hands almost constantly, playing with a game controller, for 5-7 days a week, sometimes 12 hours (or more!) a day. there was some discomfort in my thumbs, but only when i was stressed and pushing myself too far. after 8 months of this, i left the job and had no notable discomfort. my thumbs were, understandably, a little tender for a few weeks.

for the past six months, i've devoted myself full-time to pencil illustration in hopes of becoming a professional comic artist. there were some days when the pain would return, burning, etc. but always it subsided when i realized i was stressing myself and needed to pray and reflect spiritually. i've always found that taking a mid-day nap alleviated most or all of my pain and burning!

finally, i don't think about discomfort and pain much at all anymore. when i'm at the computer for quite a while, i begin to feel some minor tenderness, but i'm also often unaware of my posture and quite hunched over. i find that i'm also often impatient and easily frustrated when i use the computer, like if it won't load fast enough, etc.

the best advice i've gotten from this forum is that TMS sufferers don't often live "in the moment", we're always looking forward (worrying) to some concern in the future. often a barrage of concerns and fears. so, just try to understand that the condition is not physical and focus on the moment. allow yourself to live again without fear. turn off the fight or flight response. stress prevents the body from feeling at ease with itself. we also tend to be extremely perfectionistic.

i hope this helps. i know it may seem hopeless, but know that i've made it through this, and you can also!

thx

jared

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  14:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the pain you suffered was attributed to all those Subway sandwiches. Subway for lunch and dinner everyday, your brain must have been in a rage.

O.k seriously, thanks for posting your recovery story. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in all the pain, we forget to do the critical part of recovery and that is to focus on our emotions. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  15:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jared,

Thank you for the inspirational story. Stay well.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  20:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations for your great progress! Doesn't it feel good to feel well?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000