TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Severe PMS possible early TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  21:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first wrote about my wife on this Forum in a thread entitled, "Extreme resistance to TMS diagnosis by my wife," at:
http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=766 I include this link so as not to have to repeat extensive background material. We have been separated now for 18 months over our disagreement about TMS. I saw it as the obvious healing path. She rejected it and Dr. Sarno in an extreme reaction, saying "It's telling me it's all in my head!" and refusing to listen to any further discussion, which I saw as the TMS complex taking charge and needing to get rid of me because I saw though its subterfuge.

Now I think about her every day and have tried in over fifty loving letters to assure her of my love and support and persuade her that Dr. Sarno's approach could heal her in a few weeks. Her back pain has persisted as she continues with her physical therapies and continues to insist that she is "injured."

Anyway, I had some thoughts last night that I wanted to see peoples' reactions to: Julie always had severely painful periods. She never wanted children, probably because of her own abused and neglected childhood. She said she wished she'd had a hysterectomy back when she was a teenager, if she'd known about such a thing, to have avoided all the pain of her periods every month. As I was mulling that memory over, it occurred to me that her severely painful periods may have been early TMS, since periods have always been times when her emotions are turned up, and she's quick to anger at little things during this time. That is, since her anger reservoir is already full, there's the need to distract her every month from the repressed painful emotions of her childhood. So she may have been suffering from TMS all this time in the form of especially painful periods. Could this be a possibility?

When her lower back pain came on four years ago, it was also most intense around her periods, but became more prevalent at other times as well. She had also begun premenopausal symptoms that Spring, before the lower back pain came on, and that may also be a factor. Any thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

Thanks,
Ralph

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  06:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a difficult situation to find yourself in, Ralph. You know and I know, along with most of us who post here, that here are benefits to be had in adopting Dr Sarno's approach to pain conditions.

We also know, however, that most people will not adopt such an approach; your wife is one of them - at least for now. Just from reading your posts it appears that you have given her all the encouragement possible to at least think about what you suggest. She is not able to do that at this time.

It certainly sounds as though she is all tied up with the misery of her condition and if you want to be part of her life you are going to need to put your advice on hold for now and just support her - on her terms - a very difficult way to go, I know, but it sounds as though you don't have a lot of choices right now.

I don't know whether PMS can be a TMS manifestation or not - it seems that many conditions can be, so it wouldn't surprise me if it is, but until your wife comes to that conclusion herself, you may well just alienate her further if you continue to push it.

Best wishes

Anne
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  08:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure either but the question could be narrowed down this way: Does TMS cause hormonal changes. Are our hormonal glands tied in to the body the same way the immune system is, etc.
It certainly deserves further exploration. Anyone out there know if is?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000