TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 hyperacusis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elise8

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  18:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
Does anybody know if hyperacusis or sensitivity to sound that causes extreme discomfort to the ears is in any way TMS? I have developed this syndrome and it is extremely distressing. I also have tinnitis (ear ringing) but that is nothing compared to this hyperacusis. And, it gets worse when I get stressed.
Thanks!
Elise

Elise8

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  19:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it can be. I would put it in the same class as photophobia (light sensitivity), which is commonly part of fibromyalgia and other TMS equivalents. Of course, there are other medical causes (for example as part of Bell's palsy), so you should have a thorough evaluation before assuming it is part of your TMS.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  07:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Elise,

I too suffer from hyperaccusis, but not all the time and I do definitely think it is TMS related. It sucks, I know. I went out with friends the other night and it was so darn loud in the club that I wondered if anyone else was bothered by the vibrations in their ears. I always feel like I'm the only one in any situation that is bothered by noise. I will plug my ears and ask "Isn't that loud" and people will look at me as if I'm crazy and it's perfectly quiet (or loud, but it just doesn't bother them!)

I even had mine checked out by an ENT back when my balance/dizziness problems started. My balance problem still seems to be my biggest TMS issue. It's bizarre. The other night when I was out I was dancing on the dance floor with friends. The last time I was at this same place I felt really dizzy on that dance floor. So, this time I'm on it again and I'm feeling "off" again, as if I'm dancing on a trampoline or something. This time, I said to my friend (different friends) "Does this floor feel like it's on springs or something" and everyone thought I was nuts. I wonder, "Why the heck am I so sensitive to sounds, feelings, light..." Do I have a sensory sensitivity (say that 10 times in a row) or what?

All this started for me right about the time I was turning 40. Hmmmm....

I say treat it as TMS and see what happens. Right now my stomach is my main TMS problem and everything else is barely there if at all. I know that will soon clear up and it will be something else (I know, not very positive but I see it coming).

Good luck Elise. I feel for you.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

elise8

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  09:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the replies. Laura, as I have posted before I also suffered from dizziness, vertigo and balance issues. But they are finally mostly resolved. The hyperacusis and tinnitis are left. I was actually diagnosed with Meniere's sydrome although if I went back to the ENT now, they would say it is in remission or maybe even give me another DX, who knows. I don't go to doctors much any more.
I do still go to my upper cervical chiro which does seem to help me. Don't say "chiro" too loud on this site, most people here are anti-chiro. But to each his own I say and even though I am a TMS'er and have had much relief from back pain and other things using Sarnos methods, I just could not get rid of that dang vertigo and dizziness unil I had my 2nd vertebra in my neck adjusted. Not sure if it was placebo or not, don't care. For me I got relief. I only go now about once every three weeks. It only costs me 20 bucks a visit as my insurance covers so I am not worried about wasting too much money. A regular chiro did not work for me, or rather results were much too temporary and he kept wanting me to come back 1 x per week or 2. No thanks. This new chiro specialized in the upper cervical bones and he is quite different. He does not pressure me in to coming all the time. I feel such relief after an ajustment and the vertigo has all but vanished and also that off balance feeling that you talk about on the dance floor. My chiro thinks hormones can play a part and that when your cervical spine is out of wack the brain stem is somewhat squeezed off a tiny bit which does not allow proper blood flow and cerebrospinal fluid to the brain, hence nutrients, etc. It could also affect hormone production. That is his theory. Also he is a big believer that stress can cause problems with the spine. So the vertigo could be TMS related of course. I just could not figure out how to make the vertigo go away with TMS methods alone. Take what you want from what I say. All I know is that it is the only thing that helped me with the vertigo after 2-3 years of searching, including using TMS methods.
I still do have the hyperacusis but plan to quit babying myself so much with noises. Even normal sounds bother me, like dishes clanging, pots and pans, some peoples voices, etc. Even malls and (other public places. I believe it is TMS and so my plan is to re-read and listen to my tapes again. My brain is stuck in this pattern of reacting too much to noises. I go around with cotton in my right ear to muffle the sounds. The right ear for me is the one affected. Only the right ear. Coicidently that is the same side that I had my TMJ surgery in my 30s (TMJ is very TMS related - wish I had known about Sarno in my 30s and not had the surgery) - TMJ syndrome can also be associated with vertigo, or some "experts" say. I believe that you are like me in that you are "highly sensitive", typical TMS person.... we want everything so good and perfect and we want the world and everyone in it to be happy all the time, ourselves incluced.
By the way, I just got over 3 days of a horrible stomach virus. The worse nausea and stomach pains I have ever had. I did not eat for three days, talk about a forced fast! Anyway, during this time my hyperacusis did not bother me at all. Too occupied by the stomach problems. Typical TMS again. So good luck to you, hang in there!
With the vertigo/dizziness it was different. It never seemed to go away, was worse even with other symptoms...

Elise

Elise8
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  14:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elise,

Yeah, like I said my dizziness has been practically gone over the past few days. My marriage is in crisis right now and I'm an absolute wreck. I asked my husband for a divorce two days ago. He just doesn't get it. I don't know how many ways I can spell it out for him. I love him, I really do, but not enough to stay married. I really do believe I want out. My 13 year old daughter told me the other day when she saw me crying "Mom, you need to leave Dad because you are not happy whenever you are around him. He makes you miserable..." If that doesn't say it I don't know what does. My husband has acted for the past couple days like everything is hunky dory and like we never even had the conversation. Of course, during the heated arguments over the weekend he informed me "Well, if we split up we'll have to sell the house and you'll have to get a job." He says this because he knows how I love being able to be a stay at home mom and he knows I absolutely love my house. I think he uses those things as leverage to somehow sell me into staying in our marriage, even though I'm terribly unhappy. I'm so not into my husband that he has to actually put my arms around him to get me to hug him and he still doesn't see it.

Anyway, my IBS is really flaring up from all the stress but at least I'm having a reprieve from the dizziness which is always nice.

My left ear is the most sensitive. I can't stand it. Once a few years ago, I was just about to have a lumpectomy to rule out breast cancer. I had a clicking noise in my ear for weeks. The day I had the lump removed and it was found to be benign, the clicking stopped and never returned. The human body is truly bizarre!

Anyway, I'm glad we have this forum and one another to talk to.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Hilary

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  16:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elise, I'm sorry to hear about your hyperacusis. My mother (who is not a TMS-er, though I gave her The Bible) has big problems with this too. She also has horrendous back problems, but never thinks about it psychologically. I did think that the hyperacusis was probably linked to TMS when she first mentioned it, but I don't bother bringing this up with her- it's just not worth it!

The thing that has helped me tremendously with TMS symptoms, in addition to figuring out what is pissing me off and working that through, is actively, consciously relaxing, and telling myself on a very profound level that everything is going to be absolutely fine. I know it sounds very simple, but I've had enormous success in recent months with this approach. It also helps to remember to BREATHE (with emphasis on the out breath). A part of this puzzle is remembering to relax, calm ourselves down, take time, breathe. Sarno links anxiety and anger, suggesting that they are flip sides of the same coin.

And...I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this, but if you are seeing a chiro (which as you know Sarno totally discredits) do at least take with an enormous grain of salt stuff about hormone production being related to the spine. That merely serves to completely disempower you, the patient. The vertigo IS TMS, no "could" about it!

Edited by - Hilary on 09/13/2005 17:07:23
Go to Top of Page

cameroid

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  21:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that hyperacusis and tinnitus are linked, indeed sort of the same thing. My impression of my own hyperacusis has been that sounds containing the same frequencies as the tinnitus itself self seem to "overload" and distort. I don't think I've ever heard of hyperacusis in anyone who doesn't have tinnitus, so you might start thinking of them as a single condition. Sarno believes that tinnitus is often TMS and obviously it couldn't hurt to try that approach. And please remember: The more you allow yourself to react emotionally to tinnitus, the LOUDER and more disruptive it will become. Do a search on previous discussions about tinnitus on this forum (there have been a few).

Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  14:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this. It's a miserable thing to have too. Not only loud noise, but sometimes little bitty noises too, like the sound of a fork pinging against a plate can sometimes drive me nearly through the roof. It's not simply irritability...it's a physical response, the sensation of which runs right through me..

The good news is it's gotten much better, along with many other symptoms like food allergies and hypoglycemia..

I think that sensitive people are prone to this...thoughtful introverts who are easily done in by too much stimulation. I have to cover my ears in movies when they're running the coming attractions because they turn them up so loud. I literally can just barely stand it.

No way these days would I go into a bar with really loud music. I just don't enjoy myself anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  09:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art,

I used to cover my ears in the movies and such too, and nobody else ever seemed bothered around me. Now, it's starting to bother me less and less. The thing that does tend to annoy me is a real bass sound, like too much bass, where it shakes my whole body it's so loud. But, I've been to a couple of loud dance clubs in the past month where it was extremely loud and I wasn't bothered by it. I've conditioned myself to ignore it. It's TMS!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

elise8

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  13:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your responses.
After I made that first post in the 12th I did some research on hyperacusis and somehow I ended up reading about magnesium and the importance with relation to the ears and conditions like hyperacusis. I went down and got some Natural Calm, magnesium powder in the form of magnesium citrate. You just mix it with hot water and drink. I am happy to say that taking this at 3 x per day, 800 mg of magnesium has all but gotten rid of my hyperacusis. I waited for at least 6 days and it has not come back yet. Even dishses clanging, and other high pitches noises and talking on the telephone were totally symptom free. My tinnitis is still here but is a little bit more quiet but that severe sensitivity to noises is now gone. Magnesium is depleted from the body rapidly during stress and illness, maybe I just depleted mine and it needed a therapeutic dose, even though I eat extremely well. I seemed to have many of the symptoms along with the hyperacusis, i.e. muscle cramps, sensitivity to light, tinnitis, hyperacusis and others. I also feel much more calm. I do not think it is placebo, as placebo does not usually work for longer than a few days for me. So I just hope this is the remedy. This along with reading Sarnos books and listening to the tapes, a great combo. Thanks again,
Elise

Elise8
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  16:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elise,

That's good news for you. I have heard about that but never tried it. I'm glad you found something that gave you some improvement.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that tinnitus and sound sensitivity can be related to TMJ and tight jaw muscles (what we would call TMS). To check this, try clenching your teeth hard and see if the sound changes.

Though this doesn't apply to everyone with these symptoms and I am starting to wonder whether the brain can reduce blood supply to the inner ear itself as part of its bag of tricks. That could explain all these sympoms - tinnitus, hypersensitive hearing, dizziness, maybe even some hearing loss. The fact that these symptoms can improve or vanish with TMS treatment would seem to indicate that this is at least possible.

"I think that sensitive people are prone to this...thoughtful introverts who are easily done in by too much stimulation. I have to cover my ears in movies when they're running the coming attractions because they turn them up so loud. I literally can just barely stand it".

The book 'The Highly Sensitive Person' (Elaine Aron) describes this personality type really well. Basically the same as the TMS prone personality.

One suggestion I have is to carry earplugs with you if you are headed to loud environments, like nightclubs. Having them there and putting them in if it really gets too loud works for me to alleviate any stress or sensitivity brought on by noise exposure, or fear of noise exposure.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000