TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 have tms or it is as the surgeons told me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  11:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone
i am seeking your help to know if i have tms or it is as the surgeons told me
three and a half years ago after i gave birth by tow month i got tmj pain and the dentist ordered mri for tmj and the neck and found that i have protrusion and c6-c7 and c5-c6 in the neck so he treated me with the a splint to force the jaw to a new position after that i got terrible pain in my neck and shoulder he said sorry for that go and do another mri to see what happened so i did and they found that the tow disks herniated more but still small so he said i think u have to see a surgeon and do physical therapy , i went to 5 chiropractors and 3 physical therapy ,2 rheumatologist and they did blood test because i was complaining from my toes and hands so they found the rheumatoid factor very high 258 but with everything else normal and no swelling so they sid may be it is early symptoms and u will get the rheumatoid later so i was adding problems to each other without any solution so i tried the new natural treatment like prolotherapy and all of that failed so decided to stop going to the doctors and continue taking antidepressant it is paxile and to go to visit my family in egypt and i did i was very emotional and tried to see some doctors there to but with no gain i continue taking the anti depression and i stopped thinking about the pain although it was sharp but i tried to be positive after i read sarno's books i tried for 2 years i was ok mentally like not crying or complaining and doing some staff like cooking and light cleaning but the pain was there all the time it did not go away but my mind was away a little from concentrating with my body so i was not pain free as the sarno said because i decided to stop paxil and to go to my country to do that there because paxil has a very bad withdrawal side effects after i stopper it i felt the pain in my neck and shoulders as it was waiting for
me but this time triple than the original with weakness and burning in one side plus the pain which is already there from long time so i went to the rheumatologist after i came back and he ordered mri they found that i have large herniation in c6-c7 which increased from the last time with mild spinal cord compression and mild nerve compression which causing too much pain and disability now so i need to do surgery or take steroid shots i went through all this years to so many doctors and therapist but no change at all but the herniation increased and the pain become more so they found out that the herniation become larger and compress the nerve
i am very depressed because i am in pain all the time also my tmj came back after 2 years to share the pain with all the area neck shoulder and arms so i will be in too much pain so i am crying almost every hour and lost the hope to get out of this till i try the surgery so i am thinking to convince my husband but he said i do not like u to have surgery now wait a little or i go to my country to stay with them at least i will find any body to help me and my kids but my son in the first grade so moving to another place will confuse him i am in trouble ,i will ask my doctor to give me another anti depresion anbd i will go to five different doctors specialsit in different things to see them but i do not want to go i want to die instead but it is god willing not by my hand .
i hate to go to the doctors agin they did not help before so how they can help me now after i got a bunch of problems and high level of pain,i am thinking about the surgery all the time and i am dreaming it will solve my problem and i will be able to live again to raise my kids so any one think this is tms ? i do no thinki so because there is a reason for a pain from the disc and the muscle .
thanks and sorry for this long story
god help all of us

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Sarno is sure TMJ is actually a form of TMS. Dr. Sarno, in his many years of experience, does not believe that disc herniation is the cause of pain, or if it is the cause of pain it is very extremely rare. He backs that point up with strong scientific evidence. On TMJ and above the neck pain please read below chapter 25 of Dr. Marc Sopher's (another TMS doctor) book "To Be or Not To Be... Pain-Free."

Chapter 25
MORE ABOVE THE NECK

There are some other pain syndromes or disorders causing other
unpleasant symptoms that involve the face, mouth and ears. I believe
all are TMS for they share certain features with TMS elsewhere in the
body:
1) Thorough medical evaluation fails to identify a significant
cause;
2) Treatment is unsuccessful;
3) Symptoms are chronic, either persistent or intermittent;
4) Symptoms are intrusive, providing distraction;
5) Symptoms resolve with TMS treatment.

TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA
Of those that I have encountered, the most bothersome and
disabling is trigeminal neuralgia, also known as tic doloreaux. The
trigeminal or fifth cranial nerve provides sensation to areas of the face
and teeth. With this disorder, patients experience brief episodes of
intense facial pain that may be described as sharp, stabbing or
burning. These episodes may recur over any time frame, causing
misery for the sufferer. Particularly puzzling is that precipitants seem
to include formerly benign actions, like opening the mouth, touching
the face, brushing teeth, etc. If ever a problem seemed to have a
psychological rather than physical basis, this is it. No physical cause
has been identified and various medications, injections and surgical
procedures rarely provide more than temporary relief. Some become
so despondent that they contemplate suicide. I’ve seen patients with
pain so severe they require hospital admission and administration of
intravenous morphine by patient-controlled analgesia (PCA), with
only partial relief despite extremely high doses of the narcotic.
Marc D. Sopher, M.D.
Fortunately, trigeminal neuralgia is not common. I’ve had success
treating this and this case is illustrative. Janet had classic symptoms
of trigeminal neuralgia for several years when I first saw her. Prior
care for this had been with another family physician, neurologist, and
neurosurgeon. Oral medications including anticonvulsants (typically
used to treat seizure disorders, but often used for neuropathic pain
syndromes), steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
(NSAIDs) and narcotics had been prescribed. Injections and surgical
procedures involving the nerve failed. She was on high doses of
narcotics at her first visit with me, and acknowledged escalating
usage. Like many at first hearing of TMS, she was skeptical.
Desperate for help, she put aside her reluctance and read The
Mindbody Prescription by Dr. John Sarno and recognized herself in
those pages. Married with two small children, she was forced to work
outside of the home due to financial pressures. She acknowledged a
childhood that was at times very difficult and had little relationship
with her father. I helped her to wean off the narcotics and she has
remained pain-free for more than five years now.

MOUTH
TMJ
Temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) is pain that occurs at
the angle of the jaw, where the mandible (lower jaw bone) meets the
temporal bone. It is a hinge type of joint (like the elbow) and is used
for any activity that involves opening the mouth. Like any joint,
injury can result from trauma. Like any joint, healing should occur
within a brief time frame. Some cases of TMJ may be caused by
excessive teeth grinding (bruxism) or jaw-clenching during sleep,
which certainly qualifies as a type of dental trauma. Most dentists
recognize that stress is the cause for bruxism and jaw clenching and
share this with patients with routine success. Some do use a dental
appliance for a short time, but can discard it eventually. My
experience is that TMJ resolves most quickly when a psychological
cause is accepted.
Marc D. Sopher, M.D.
BMS
You may not have heard of burning mouth syndrome (BMS) yet,
but I have no doubt that you will. It is gathering steam and I have no
doubt that it is a disorder with a psychological cause. The chief
complaint is of a burning sensation in the mouth, but some also
complain of a bitter or metallic taste. As with many TMS
equivalents, no cause is identified and treatment is infrequently
successful. The most commonly prescribed medication is a
benzodiazepine, like Klonopin. Any time that you learn that a
benzodiazepine is prescribed for a disorder, your radar should go up
and you should think “TMS” and psychological cause. Klonopin and
its cousins are tranquilizers, sedating substances that can cause
relaxation and reduce feelings of stress; unfortunately they do not fix
the problem, provide only temporary relief and can quickly become
habit-forming, no matter the reason for the original prescription.

EARS
TINNITUS, HYPERACUSIS, VERTIGO
The audiovestibular or eighth cranial nerve is involved with
hearing (“audio” component) and balance (“vestibular” component,
part of the inner ear which is the body’s internal gyroscope). When
affected by TMS, symptoms may include ringing in the ears
(tinnitus), unusual sensitivity to sound (hyperacusis) and/or
intermittent dizziness (vertigo). If there is no history of significant
noise exposure or physical trauma, and traditional medical evaluation
(including imaging study, such as MRI or CT scan) fails to reveal
obvious pathology, TMS may be the culprit. Again, it is a situation
where physical symptoms become intrusive and provide distraction,
unresponsive to traditional remedies.
While only a handful of patients have seen me primarily for these
type of symptoms, I have had quite a few tell me their symptoms
resolved when they successfully attacked other TMS complaints. It is
easy to hear critics cry: “Anecdotal evidence! This is not scientific!”
I would argue that when you start to string together a lot of
“anecdotes,” it is worth paying attention.
Go to Top of Page

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thanks for your reply but i am not conveinced yet how is that? i got the tmj pain this time when i was trying neck traction device to help the c6-c7 herniation i was not aware that i will have the pain in my tmj back again untill the next day .
also for the herniation i can not believe it is not causing pain because the first time three years ago when the doctors gave me the splint he was worry a little bit about the herniated disc and it happened i got too much pain which it did not resolve till now so he ordered mri to see what happened and it was the herniation which increased in size and give the pain also 5 monthsa ago i was taking interior design class and i was doing the assignemet and i got the sharp pain more than before so i did another mri they found that the herniation increased more so there is a relation in my case between the level of the pain and the increasing of the herniation so how is that the herniated disc does not cause pain
may be i am not having tms i am just in real pain from my disc herniation!
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  14:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donia,
Your whole focus is on the physical - and I do understand as the pain sounds terrible. However, if you are going to give Sarno's work a chance - you are going to have to change your thinking.
What is going on EMOTIONALLY in your life? Are you happy? If you have read the books, then you know that you have to start journalling and really turning your thoughts to your life. Make a list of everything that is stressful for you. Read and reread the books. You have seen so many doctors etc. that it is going to take time to break the conditioning.
I was told that my terrible sciatic pain (for 12 years) was from herniated discs - well, guess what - that wasn't true. Yes - the MRIs showed herniated discs, but Sarno's theory worked for me. My pain is getting better and better - in fact, it went away for 3 months and I am able to do any kind of exercise I want. It has flared up recently and I know why - I have been through a very difficult, emotional time recently.

This is going to be a big change for you in your thinking, But it works so dive in and give it a go.
Go to Top of Page

donia

25 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  14:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks suz i hope u will be able to do it again but for me i read the book all the three and i like the idea but the surgeons and the others said no way ,i am also very negative person i am not happy may be but everybody else is somehow the sme and also many peoble have stress but without pain . i think i need anti depression drug again i am so afraid every day and crying my kids used it and the pray for me i am alone here in this country with my husband and kids i want to leave but my son in the school now i will confuse him
i want to try the surgry may be it will take some of the pain i am very saddddddddd.
thanks
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  14:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi donia,

Unless you are going to start following the advice that Dr. Sarno has laid out in his books, then you likely need to see a TMS doctor in person to get you started on your way to recovery. If you are not in New York City/State, the take a look at this link...

http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

...which list some areas of the country.

If you are in pain but in not any immediate danger (did the doctor(s) say it was an emergency?), then you need to STOP seeing these doctors and see a TMS doctor who will examine you and determine if you have TMS.

I understand that you are hurting, I've been there along with many other people on this forum. But it does you or us no good to just keep listing out your physical problems in your posts. TMS is not about physical problems, the pain is real, but the cause is not what the doctors have been telling you.

The pain is being caused by rage and anger in your unconscious mind. That means that you may not realize that you are angry, but it is there in your mind, hidden from your ability to see the anger. Your mind causes the pain to distract you from your emotional problems. The pain is real, but it is not being caused by the physical problems you have listed here.

So try to take a deep breath and get yourself to a TMS doctor as soon as you can.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 10/04/2005 14:50:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000