TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Its BAAAAaaack!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bhbauman

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello TMS folks.

I had bad sciatic pain about a half a year ago. Worked through Sarno's theories and recovered somewhat. Eventually, I just kind of got to a point at which I was pain-free enough to play squash and stuff, but not recovered enough to stretch that one leg fully.

Last week I started to see a therapist to deal with issues that I want to get over. THAT night, the night of my first session MY SCIATIC PAIN CAME BACK!!!

Its been a week and I am depressed about it. Just when I started getting going to the gym, to get my life in order, this FRIGGIN' pain came back and now...well, I'm dissapointed, depressed but looking forward to continuing the work in therapy.

Thanks for listening, Ben

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you were pain free why is it that you began seeing a therapist? Seems to me, and I may be wrong so please forgive me if I am assuming too much, that you were doing fine on your own and seeing the therapist aggravated your problem. It seems that the therapist either come close to somewhere inside of you, or this is a clever strategy of your brain to make you question the need for therapy in the first place and make you believe your real problem is physical. Your would not be the first person to report that once they started psychotherapy their pain got worse. Read again the story of Helen in Dr. Sarno's "Heaing Back Pain."
Go to Top of Page

bhbauman

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Peter. Keep in mind that I was not totally pain free, I feel that the TMS was just laying dormant while I wasn't trying to work on Life problems.

Let me tell you that I really DO need to continue therapy and I do believe that the TMS is my brain trying to scare me away from delving into some deep and sub-conscious ways of living that I want to change.

Does this make sense?
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  13:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  13:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben,
Very good sign that the pain got worse - it means you have stirred something up in there. Mine got really bad at the beginning of therapy with one of Sarno's psychologist. Your brain is trying very hard to distract you now as you are finally starting to face some of the very uncomfortable emotional issues. The unconscious will really try and fight back - comes in different forms. The pain can increase in severity or alternatively it will move around. It may appear in another form - an equivalent. I had very strange things happen. Just keep on doing the work and absolutely treat this (ironically) as a very very good sign. You have the TMS on the run and it is freaking out
Congrats to you!
Suz
Go to Top of Page

bhbauman

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  14:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Suz. That feels good to hear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000