TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What is your thought on this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

optimism

44 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  13:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

1. Because I could not handle the emotional pain in the first place, my brain chose the fisical pain (I even know when that happened).

2. So, now I have the fisical pain (TMS).

2. Because I want to heal now, I need to experience the emotional pain again (or the negative emotions etc.). That is to be done if I want to get rid of TMS.

3. My question is: If that happened (fisical pain) since I could not handle the emotional pain in the first place, why it would be different now and why is good to reverse the process?
It must be the good reason for the brain to decide for the pain to go into fisical, instead of experiencing negative emotions.
Of course, I would rather get rid of the pain.

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  11:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This question is very thought-provoking. If I understand you correctly, your question is - if physical pain was the result of emotional pain that was too hard to bear; why would you be any more able to handle the emotional pain now, in the process of recovery from physical TMS pain.

Something that has been debated many times on this forum is whether it is indeed necessary to experience the hidden negative emotions that may well be the cause of physical pain. Dr Sarno says that it is only necessary to acknowledge and accept that TMS pain is psychological in its origin.

However, in my own case, I found that part of my healing was experiencing those negative emotions and it was very difficult (still is sometimes).

Once my back pain began to lessen - those emotions began to surface whether I wanted them to or not. I do not regret it one bit because now I can live a normal life again, free from the pain which was restricting the things I could do more and more.

The thing is - although you could not face those emotions at one time; perhaps you were a child then (many of us can trace the origins of TMS pain back to childhood); you may well be able to face them now.

Best wishes

Anne

Go to Top of Page

ladyblue

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  14:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Optimism,

You know the more I delve into the effects that withheld emotions have on the body the more I am truely convinced that they need to be addressed, much the same as Anne says really.

I am wholeheartedly in agreement that once one realises that TMS is the cause of the pain you are well on the way to freedom from the pain.
But, for me anyway, I'm very much aware now, why psychologically, my mind thought it best to "distract" me, sometimes addressing the emotions held within takes incredible courage and is a journey that requires heaps of self love and patience.

I believe however, that those emotions so tightly guarded and locked away will re-emerge if not set free once and for all.

When I look back over the years I can see in myself such a pattern, such distraction and yet, at the same time, those repressed feelings were literally screaming to come out.

I spent two years almost housebound suffering from constant panic attacks, later I spent a year with inexplicable dizziness, a few years on and I was diagnosed with Cancer and even during that time my back was hurting, it progressed over several years to a point that beacuse of the pain I could hardly leave the house and waking up was quite honestly losing its appeal.

A few weeks ago I read Dr Sarnos book and it was like being woken from a nightmare.
I've worked harder on myself in those few weeks than ever I can remember.
But I'm now driving again, I have some days with very little pain and above all I know that I can conquer this completely.

I have read everything that has come into my path, thrown out what didn't feel right for me personally and taken on board the rest, I keep a daily journal to not only monitor my progress but to make certain that I don't end any day holding back any feelings...they all go in the journal...good or bad!
I recently read Brandon Bays "The journey" and using that technique I was able to release some very painful memories that had never seen the light of day before.

You ended your post by saying that "of course you'd rather be rid of the pain"....I'll second that!
I just think ....go the whole way and get rid of it all!

Hope that maybe something I've said helps, wishing you all the best, Jane.
Go to Top of Page

JohnD

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  07:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone else said this week that TMS isn't a rational process and therefore we will never understand it completely. All that we can go by is personal experience. Many people have been able to get rid of the pain just by being aware of its true nature. Others need to go more directly into their emotions for long term relief. Either way, just be open to what is the right path for you. Don't trap yourself into thinking you have to be perfect at feeling all those repressed emotions in order to get well. If this was the case the whole world would have unbearable TMS.
Go to Top of Page

optimism

44 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2005 :  11:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all.

I am just trying to find the answers why is this happening. Maybe the recovery process will be easier, if I know why my brain chose this (maybe!).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000