TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Acne, rashes and other TMS equivalents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  16:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had acne, rashes or other skin problems clear up when their TMS pain went away? How about allergies and/or sneezing fits? I suffer badly from these things along with physical pain. Sarno mentions these as TMS equivalents but I don't recall anyone on these boards reporting these symptoms going away.

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  17:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve-I had hives, allergy and sinus symptoms along with the backpain. They all went away with practicing Sarno's methods. There have been lots of similar posts. You are not alone with your symptoms. Keep working at it.
Go to Top of Page

TmsLee

5 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  15:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"There have been lots of similar posts."

I've searched, but find none relating to acne.
Four years ago, after suffering almost a year of unbearble back pain, I read Sarno's book and was IMMEDIATELY cured. Pain gone.
I have now begun to view my life-long acne as a TMS equivalent but am having a heck of a time applying the same principles. With my back pain, it seemed so easy - "there's nothing structurally wrong, the pain is meaningless" did the trick. How do I do this with acne on my face? I can't seem to wrap my brain around this. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  09:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah TmsLee, I haven't seen any posts about acne going away. The only reference I've seen has been in Fred Amir's book where he mentioned his acne clearing up along with his laundry list of other TMS pains and equivalents.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is Fred Amir's book called? I am thinking of buying it so I can do the workbook.
thanks
Go to Top of Page

TmsLee

5 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0966982614/qid=1092758656/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-0155297-2788657?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Go to Top of Page

TmsLee

5 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Yeah TmsLee, I haven't seen any posts about acne going away. The only reference I've seen has been in Fred Amir's book where he mentioned his acne clearing up along with his laundry list of other TMS pains and equivalents."

I wonder how I can "think" the acne and other skin ailments away...stop thinking about it? Stop using creams and meds? Stop going to the dermatologist? They don't seem to help anyway, so I may as well stop going and paying for their "expertise." I guess the "trick" may be to recognize that the skin stuff is yet another wonderful way the TMS is making me focus on other physical ailments, and not focus on my (many) repressed issues? Ugh.

Edited by - TmsLee on 08/17/2004 10:19:10
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, if the distraction is there, the symptoms will continue.

I've had little success with my GERD because when I stop taking medication, the symptoms are very difficult for me to ignore.

All you can do is try not to make the acne a distraction. Try your best not to think about it. If the creams help, then there's no reason not to use them. It's equivalent to taking Tylenol for back pain, which is perfectly reasonable.

Also keep in mind there is much less clinical evidence that acne and other skin problems are stricly TMS. Surely there are other non-TMS factors that can contribute.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also suffer from skin problems - not awful but break outs quite frequently. I have noticed that when I am particularly relaxed -especially when my back pain first went away and I also got results back from doctors that I had nothing wrong with me - my skin was totally clear for a week.
I eat a pretty specific diet called "eat right for your type" - I eat according to my O blood type - it has helped my digestion no end and my skin has become much clearer - not perfect but better than before. I have not decided whether the skin is related to my diet or my TMS - I have a feeling it may be more related to stress (in other words TMS)the diet may act as a placebo.
I am so glad that someone brought this issue up - I think one can apply the same principles - get rid of all the antibiotics, throw away the creams and really focus on the emotional. I think the key lies in being totally convinced that it is TMS - just like the back. I find that laughing at the brain - almost making fun of the unconscious really helps - sometimes I use very strong language and yell at it. I am in immense pain today and am trying to laugh at my brain right now. I am a bit fed up of having skin problems as I am 34 years old - it is very uncomfortable to deal with this.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:52:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question:

Which workbook have any of you found more helpful -the Fred Amir book or the David Schechter book? I would love to get a little more help with doing the journalling part
thanks
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  11:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tmslee-Sorry, I was refering to previous posts for sinus, allergies and hives. I, too, Have not seen one for acne.
Go to Top of Page

TmsLee

5 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  11:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Suz

Question:

Which workbook have any of you found more helpful -the Fred Amir book or the David Schechter book? I would love to get a little more help with doing the journalling part
thanks

I never read or even heard of these books until this forum. The Sarno book was all I needed for the back pain. By like page 5 or something the pain was GONE. Really. For me, it was so cathartic to FINALLY have an answer as to why I was in such pain. I remember reading it and literally bursting into tears. The emotion came out and away from my back. I would never beleive it if it didn't happen to me.
The only problem, is that now that I have realized that my skin disorders are more likely than not TMS-related, I expect that same miraculous recovery. Like I'm supposed to look in the mirror and have Vogue-perfect skin or something...here's dreaming...

The reason that I beleive the acne is TMS-related is that at 34, having tried EVERY medication (Western and Eastern) available (yes, even accutane) there doesn't seem to be any "physical" reason for the condition. Eventually one must wonder why they don't respond to any medication.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  12:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee,
Have you adjusted your diet at all? I really believe that there is a connection between what one eats and general health. My skin has really improved since eating for my blood type. I am an O and my ancestors ate mostly protein and veggies -not really any grains. I have cut out wheat and corn specifically and most dairy - immediately I saw a difference in my skin. I also have cut out sugar - I eat lots of fruit but no artificial sweetners or sugar.
Suz
Go to Top of Page

TmsLee

5 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  12:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll look into it - thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Suz

Lee,
Have you adjusted your diet at all? I really believe that there is a connection between what one eats and general health. My skin has really improved since eating for my blood type. I am an O and my ancestors ate mostly protein and veggies -not really any grains. I have cut out wheat and corn specifically and most dairy - immediately I saw a difference in my skin. I also have cut out sugar - I eat lots of fruit but no artificial sweetners or sugar.
Suz

Go to Top of Page

Wilf

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  17:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might also consider eliminating Milk from your diet. Both my daughter and I are allergic to Milk and if she injests milk products, she breaks out in a rash. When she eliminates milk from her diet, the rash clears up. It is the whey in liquid milk that causes the problems. You have to read labels, because there are "modified milk ingredients" in a significant number of processed foods.
Go to Top of Page

FarmerEd

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  20:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You bring up and excellent question Steve. I have suffered from a hiatus hernia since I was 17. Like Tmslee I was able to overcome the back pain quite directly with Sarno's principles. The symptoms from the hiatus hernia have been more stubborn though as well as some skin rashes that I have also had from time to time most of my adult life. Being 44 now I have become quite accustomed and conditioned by these things.

In his book, Dr. Sarno wrote about an elderly man who had back problems for decades. He accepted the TMS diagnosis but the conditioning had become so ingrained he never fully overcame his pain but got partial relief. I sometimes think that may be going on with these TMS equivalents. Skin rashes and stomach problems are uncomfortable, but often managable, and we learn to get by with them and carry on. Over long periods of time these become so ingrained in us it's hard to fully believe they are psychogenic in nature.

I intend to keep applying Sarno's principles to these though, and I have gotten some sporadic success. I have gone several months at a time symptom free only to have them return but those successes give me hope and motivation to continue trying. Nothing else I've tried ever gave me as complete relief as during those months. Each success, no matter how short, helps bolster my confidence that these really are just another form of TMS.

The new TMS symptoms that have tried to crop up I've been able to put down pretty quickly with Sarno's principles since I have, so far, been able to recognize them fairly quickly before much conditioning has taken place. I accept outwardly that hiatus hernia is a TMS equivalent but I think that down deep I still have my doubts because I have lived with it so long.

My approach to these stubborn problems is to treat them with medication as little as possible when thet flair up but use what I need as Dave said, then continue working on them with the same TMS work I used on my back. Posts of successes like Susie's give me hope that these can also be overcome.

Edited by - FarmerEd on 08/17/2004 20:50:50
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  08:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Susie,

How long did it take for your back pain and symptoms to go away? What did you do? Did you see a therapist? Did you do lots of journalling? It is so encouraging to hear about success stories.
Thank you so much
Suz
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  09:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suz-I posted you a brilliant reply but my server went down when I sent it so I'll try again. I just hate when that happens. I hate to give you a time frame because I think that sends the wrong message. We all heal at different rates and I think it's hard to gauge one's response in comparison to anothers. I did not use a therapist. I read the books alot and journaled alot. I wouldn't call myself cured but a work in progress. I still get twinges of pain and other symptoms sometimes daily, but I just think psychologically and they leave promptly. I know I might have another attack but I am confident I will be ok. I recognized myself so much in Sarno's book that I had alot of confidence in his method of cure. Once I cut through the fear, not an easy thing, the rest moved right along. You seem to have a very good understanding of your triggers. I think tms just blindsided you this time and got a little headstart on you. It might take you a little while to catch up. I recognize the fear in your posts. That fear is very familiar to me. It helped me a bunch to keep busy, giving me less time to dwell on the symptoms. If I have pain that tries to stay, I will stop what I'm doing, journal for a few minutes, go stick it in the shreader, and continue what I was doing. For me, that reassures my brain that I know it's messing with me and it's not going to work. I really don't invision myself ever being symptom free the rest of my life but thats ok too. As long as I can control it, very typical tms personality, it's ok with me. I have a total new feeling of well being, thanks to Sarno. Just like before, realize that you are improving, don't be impatient,(real easy, right?)and keep puttin along.
Go to Top of Page

Steve

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  09:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suz - I found Schecter's workbook much easier to use. Fred Amir's is a bit involved and my ADD doesn't allow me to focus on it. I found journalling in the Schecter workbook helpful in alleviating the TMS pain by 50% so far. I did it for a month and now have moved on to journalling in a plain spiral notebook. But my TMJ has been very stubborn, so the length of time for me to improve has probably been longer than the typical person. I truly have a hard time focusing on TMS principals and psychology on a constant, real-time basis. Again, my ADD - perhaps this is another TMS equivalent?
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  10:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Again, my ADD - perhaps this is another TMS equivalent?

Yep!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000